I guess I don't understand the faux outrage on illegal children

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Horn6721, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

ICE goes after them, but if they're charged criminally, DoJ handles that.

2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Construction (especially homebuilding), landscaping, and agriculture are dominated by illegal immigration, and yes, they often work for former illegal immigrants who start small contractor businesses. However, they also work their way into large companies by using phony documents. Hotels, grocery stores, restaurants, and other businesses also hire them.

Of course, when I was doing God's Work, I represented plenty of illegal immigrants and know first hand who was hiring them. Some examples of fairy large and established businesses I remember clients working for and sometimes suing - HEB, Pilgrims Pride, the City of Austin, McDonald's, Johnny Carino's, and Barton Creek Resort. Obviously the McDonald's case involved a franchise (or network of franchises).

3. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

It would definitely get less resistance, although I'm sure there would be plenty of intense lobbying against it. However, so many of the violators are small business owners who basically just do this stuff under the table, and we're either unwilling to commit the resources or unwilling to be the "bad cop" and enforce the law. It's like Sean Connery said in The Untouchables: "Everyone KNOWS where the booze is."

Having said that, overstayed visas and abuse of the process are areas that also should be looked at a lot more closely. It's hard to expect immigrants to respect our system of immigration when we don't respect it ourselves.

4. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

5. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Directly from the local attorney specializing in employment law:

"Civil and criminal penalties for failure to comply with employment verification requirements and penalties for discrimination

Employer is liable for discrimination, if the employer’s action was taken with the intent to discriminate"

Obviously, the problem is proving an employer intended to discriminate, or an employer proving they didn't intend to discriminate. To help, just rely on the Sonny Bono Amendment.

6. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Okay, I'll give you a little background. I grew up lower middle class. Started working at 11 years old. Public school all the way through grad school:hookem2:. One of my jobs is analyzing the financial strength and capacity of companies to perform their work. I am guessing that I have analyzed around 3000 companies. I have started, with partners or individually, more than 5 companies, some more successful than others. Since I have begun enjoying Hornfans (yes, even SH and OUBubba because they give insight into the tragically misguided values of Liberals), I started a company that now employs just under 100 folks, 95% of them are from Mexico or South America. They all are paid substantially more than minimum wage (one earns over $60 per hour, and he's damn well earned it), and I believe they are all legal based on the documents provided. Having spewed that, I do appreciate your knowledge and experience, but not your assumptions about mine.

7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It would get less resistance in terms of race-baiting and child-propping. It would get dramatically more direct corporate opposition, but these sorta go together. Somebody is funding these so-called "activist groups," and it isn't millions of orange pickers each sending them $1 per week.

If we have the resources to go after individuals, we can go after businesses. Big businesses that hire them for low-skilled work would be pretty low-hanging fruit. However, we should also go after the construction illegal immigrant racket, and you have to be able to get at the general contractors and builders. It's not good enough to bust the Mexican guy with a few hammers and pick-up truck who actually "hires" the illegal aliens.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That's entirely consistent with what I said.

9. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Why aren't unions in the US demanding greater immigration enforcement? I see nothing but competition for their jobs and lowering of prevailing wages because the immigrants will work for cheap.

10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

MSM is so desperate to paint Trump as evil they keep getting caught using pics from Obama era OR pics that are not as they want to portray.
    Time mag is the latest. Their cover shows a scowling towering Trump and a young crying girl captioned, "Welcome to America"

Turns out the girl was never separated from her mother( which was of course the implicit message Time tried to convey).An "image America could not ignore" indeed.

Time's tweet about their cover, " TIME’s new cover: A reckoning after Trump's border separation policy: What kind of country are we?"

Well Time YOU are a pathetic lying rag.
    Many other outlets gleefully ran with this .

Except multiple outlets interviewed the father of the girl behind the iconic image, and he said he had learned that his two-year-old daughter was detained with her mother at a facility in Texas, and the two were not separated at all. The Honduran government confirmed his version of events to Reuters.

The Washington Post reported that the mother, Sandra Sanchez, had previously been deported in 2013 to Honduras. Her husband told the Post that she left without telling him she was taking Yenela with her and couldn’t contact her. But then he saw the picture on the news.

This is as bad as the recent outraged story about ICE tearing a baby from the mother as she nursed the child. That apparently didn't happen either. Just someone saying it did and media running with it.

smh

• Like Like x 1
  11. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Looks like another free airplane ride for her and her child is coming up. I think they have to be accompanied by a federal agent of some type too when they're deported, so that they don't "accidentally miss the plane". 2 one way tickets to Honduras and a round trip ticket. Cost starts to add up after a while. We're providing similar transportation back to countries all over the world.

It's not like the 50's when Ike launched "Operation Wetback". He just loaded a boat load of 'em onto a cargo ship to Vera Cruz in southern Mexico. It didn't matter if they were from northern or western Mexico, they were deported to Vera Cruz and it was up to them to make their way home. That would probably discourage them from coming back. But, the country doesn't have those kind of balls anymore.

12. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

One might say that the child was "torn from the arms of her loving father?"

• Like Like x 1
  13. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. And what you said is entirely consistent with my initial comment.

14. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

The amount of fake news that we've seen over the last few days has been mind blowing.

15. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I think Time should go with this alternate cover

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

That is a surprising but good result. Especially when you consider the nonstop arrays of negative slanted b.s. coverage.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

It's in dispute whether the Mother and daughter were separated. The Husband stated in the Daily Mail article that he had not actually talked to his wife or daughter. Whereas there is an aunt in Houston that has spoken directly with this 6yr old girl on multiple times since it was her phone number the girl had memorized.

19. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

There's no dispute.

Also, it looks like the mother just up and left without telling the father. Nice.

20. Seattle Husker

No dispute...in right-wing news sources.

21. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Your sources are left wing so what's the difference?

22. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

"Valera (the father) said the little girl and her mother, Sandra Sanchez, have been detained together in the Texas border town of McAllen, where Sanchez has applied for asylum, and they were not separated after being detained near the border.

Honduran deputy foreign minister Nelly Jerez confirmed Valera’s version of events. "

Reuters is a right wing news service?

• Like Like x 1
  23. Seattle Husker

Right...anything left of the right wing sources pushing this story are "left wing". On NPR they interviewed this morning they interviewed the journalist and aunt (lives in Houston) with a recording of the young girl when the reporter was at the Aunt's house. I don't speak Portuguese but based on the translation this young girl was not in the presence of her mother. She asked for her aunt to come pick her up and let her know that she needs to bathe her because she's very dirty.

Like I said, still in dispute.

24. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

NPR....now that's a biased source. I feel fairly confident that the illegal alien mom would prefer her daughter be with her Auntie in Houston rather than locked up with criminal mommy.

25. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Not in dispute. Just lies barfed by Libs and supported by the ignorant and scheming.

"But the girl's father told the Washington Post on Thursday night that his child and her mother were not separated, and a U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman confirmed that the family was not separated while in the agency's custody. In an interview with CBS News, Border Patrol agent Carlos Ruiz, who was among the first to encounter the mother and her daughter at the border in Texas, said the image had been used to symbolize a policy but "that was not the case in this picture."

Ruiz, who was not available for an interview Friday, confirmed as much to CBS. He said agents asked the mother, Sandra Sanchez, to put down her daughter, nearly 2-year-old Yanela, so they could search her. Agents patted down the mother for less than two minutes, and she immediately picked up her daughter, who then stopped crying.

"I personally went up to the mother and asked her, 'Are you doing OK? Is the kid OK?' and she said, 'Yes. She's tired and thirsty. It's 11 o'clock at night,' " Ruiz told CBS News.

The revelation has prompted a round of media criticism from the White House and other conservatives.

"It's shameful that dems and the media exploited this photo of a little girl to push their agenda," White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders tweeted Friday. "She was not separated from her mom. The separation here is from the facts."

The heart-wrenching image, captured by award-winning Getty Images photographer John Moore, was spread across the front pages of international newspapers. It was used to promote a fundraiser that has collected more than $18 million to help reunite separated families.

Time on Thursday released its July 2 cover using the girl’s image, without the mother, in a photo illustration portraying her looking up at President Trump towering above her.

And on Thursday, hours before the little girl's father spoke out, Time magazine released its July 2 cover using the child's image - without the mother - in a photo illustration that shows her looking up at President Trump, who is seen towering above her.

"Welcome to America," the cover reads.

Time has not responded to a request for comment from the Post, but the magazine, in a statement sent to media outlets, said it stands by the cover.

Time also has added a correction to a piece about the photo that ran Tuesday: "The original version of this story misstated what happened to the girl in the photo after she [was] taken from the scene. The girl was not carried away screaming by U.S. Border Patrol agents; her mother picked her up and the two were taken away together."

26. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

A government official from Honduras and the US Border Patrol are saying the same thing. There's not much to dispute.

27. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Of course, my source was The Washington Post so I'm questioning the veracity of the story. Fortunately, SH will believe anything they write, so he should be convinced despite his unique ability to let common sense slide passed.

28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

SH?
    Maybe you misheard or maybe NPR misrepresented?
    There IS a story on net now about a 6 y o El Salvadoran girl (not Honduran) who had memorized her Aunt's Houston phone number.
    Facts matter and hopeully are represented accurately by right or left wing sources.

29. Seattle Husker

I conflated the stories. The girl in the NPR story was one of the crying children in the leaked audio tapes, not the girl in the picture. My bad.

30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

SH
    I understand sometimes people really want to prove a political point. It can be enticing to try to make the point at the expense of facts.
    In this case rushing to make a point overlooked common sense.
    A 2 y o Honduran girl is not likely to remember a Houston phone number.
    But you are not alone. MSM seems all too willing to conflate facts in order to try to make Trump look bad
    When it was pointed out to you You stepped up to correct your error. Good on you
    We are still waiting for most of media to admit to their overzealous inaccuracies.

• Like Like x 1