I jammed my thumb 2 weeks ago...

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by atxbaby, May 17, 2009.

1. atxbaby

atxbaby 250+ Posts

and it's still not healed. When I've jammed it before, it's been maybe a week at most before it's back to normal. Do I need to go get it looked at?

2. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

if it's red and swollen like this, chop it off:[​IMG]

3. atxbaby

atxbaby 250+ Posts

Still no real advice on my jammed thumb? [​IMG]

4. AstroVol

AstroVol 500+ Posts

Same thing happened to me about 4 or 5 years ago. Jammed it badly playing b-ball, the swelling just wouldn't go down and the sucker just wouldn't stop hurting. Turns out it was badly broken. The X-ray also revealed that I had at some point in my life broken every finger on my hand at least once (total of 6 breaks on four fingers), and I was only aware of one of them. Either my parents were abusive when I was a baby or I am one tough SOB. Probably both.

5. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

Waaaaayyy waaayyyyy back in the day, I hurt my thumb playing ball. I couldn't hardly grip anything, and it hurt like hell when I caught a ball, and I could barely hold on when I did catch a throw. This was despite wearing an extra glove inside my Bball glove.

Went to the doctor and was told it was something called "Catcher's Thumb" and is very common among baseball and football players, but rather obviously, it is most common for baseball catchers.

Anyway, a splint and rest took care of it pretty quickly, Luckily, it happened right at the end of our season.

A quick Google search will turn up all sorts of info on this.

A quote from one site:

6. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

Old catchers have f'd up digits. Good to know you as another JMatt.

Go to the doc, OP.

7. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

Well, while I caught some (and enjoyed it), I was mostly a 1B, which is where I was playing when I hurt my thumb...