I know it's early in the season...

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Hook 'Em Danno, May 17, 2012.

1. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

and no one expected them to maintain the level of play they started with all season, but is anyone else a bit concerned about the Rangers' performance lately? They are 11-9 at home after today's loss. Other than Darvish, the starting pitching has been sub-par over the last 20 games (during which time, IIRC, the Rangers are 9-11) and Wash's bullpen moves continue to mystify at times. Today, e.g., he brings in Ogando and Nathan for the 3rd day in a row (Nathan gets through unscathed while Ogando gives up the game-tying home run), and Adams pitches for the third time in 4 days (and gives up the game-winning run in the 10th while getting only one guy out on a botched-up sacrifice bunt attempt). And, on top of that, the A's lineup has the worst team batting average in the majors.

This is not making it any easier to get over Game 6. [​IMG]

2. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

I'm a bit concerned. We should not give up 12 hits to the A's. And I hate bringing in my closer in a tie game. We got breaks but didn't make them stand up. You know they're not going to play at the level they started the season, but still...need to bounce back and sweep Space City.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

3. diehard

diehard 25+ Posts

The Rangers have been playing like ****, lately. Too many ******* strikeouts by Napoli, Hamilton, Young, Cruz, etc. We can't hit crafty left-handed pitching as KC's Bruce Chen, Baltimore's Wayne? Chen, etc. have stymied us. I bet Houston's Wandy Rodriguez beats us tomorrow night, too.

Joe Nathan sucks. He needs to be replaced asap.

4. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

yes, this is the time I thought the team would be turning it on, instead it looks like we've hit a long rough streak.

I think the team will rebound though, just a matter of time.

5. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

but now I'm getting pessimistic sp. This team is not clicking at all, managing to allow the Astros 6 runs? REally??

Need a team meeting or something. The talent is there, the teamwork, etc. clutch pitching, not so much.

6. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

7. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

ahhh yes, nothing like the football mentality (each game is massive for the standings) for a MLB team.

Long way to go folks. That's the way baseball go. 162 game season, chill a bit [​IMG]

8. Hook 'Em Danno

bump. Anyone happen to know what is the worst butt-kicking the Rangers have ever received? I seem to recall Oakland hanging 20+ on them at the turn of the century, but I do not recall what the margin of victory was and I'm too ticked to go look it up. Whatever it is, they are well on their way to topping that as they trail the sorry Mariners 17-0 in the 4th-- you know, the team with the second worst batting average in the AL and 4th worst in all of baseball (but has managed to plate 27 runs in the last two games).

[​IMG]

Hopefully, the Yankees can give a similar whuppin' to the Angels. Pulling for the Yankees--now I really feel dirty.

9. Hook 'Em Danno

Well, at least the Rangers tried to make the game somewhat respectable by getting a safety in the bottom of the 7th to make it 17-7, only to have Seattle add 4 more in the 8th. The Rangers are now only two TDs down, 21-7, going to the 9th.

Why did Wash bring Ogando and Adams into this game (seriously)? He should have brought VY off the bench (wishful thinking).

10. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

not sure if it's maddux or wash pulling the strings on the pen, but they sure do abuse ONE releiver every yr....first jennings, then oliver, now ogando...imo it's better to get everyone some work thru august, save the ogandos of the world fro the stretch

11. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

I just saw this. Are you serious? Wash brought Adams and Ogando into a game after the other team had a huge lead?

ouch! And after tonight's third loss in a a row I'm almost ready to push the panic button.

After a great start, this team is ..not playing to their potential.

12. Hook 'Em Danno

Sorry to [​IMG], but seeing the Rangers drop another game (a shutout to boot) to the sorry A's, the worst offensive team in the majors, is really starting to annoy me. The below-average performance of this team against much poorer teams has developed into a disturbing pattern.

13. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yeah, a mediocrity pattern has developed with this team mid May to early June. Struggling with the Oakland's and Seattle's of the world... terrible errors, pitching has become inconsistent and sometimes the batting is off - such as last night's 6/6 A's game they lost 2-0.

Darvish has been struggling and is struggling big time today vs.Oakland in the day game already down 6-1 early - geeesh! Fortunately LAA is playing .500 so they have not been gaining much ground lately but we cannot expect that to continue.

These guys are flat, they better pick it up...