I know this is covered, but wanted to focus on the positive WR depth

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by NRHorn, Jun 1, 2019.

1. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Just my 2 cents. We are okay without drama. Good luck, I don’t tolerate drama at work for long. It divides the team and has the most negative impact on other good employees. He needs to disappear from our lives and bring that to USC. We can focus on the best WR crew I’ve seen at UT in years.

SRs-Collin Johnson, Duvernay,Burt
    Sophs- Joshua Moore, Eagles, Pouncey,
    FR- Woodard, Epps,
    Incoming-Jake Smith,Marcus Washington, Lewis

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Agreed, we are strong at the WR position. Personally I believe that Herman is building the team and culture that we all want to see returned to Texas football. It takes time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

^^^ Could have been part of McCoy's issue - he wasn't going to clearly be the best receiver on the team, and he didn't want to take his turn. He will be the best athlete on the field whenever he gains eligibility.

The eligibility issues are going to be tricky since he attended classes at Texas. However, in the end, enough juice will be spread around by USC to assure NCAA approval (from the same school who gave us Reggie Bush show).

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Great quality WR depth! Opponents will likely focus on Johnson (and for good reason). Epps showed well in the Srping game, Eagles looked like a stud before injury, and I expect Duvernay will have a big year.

IMHO Jake Smith (Gatorade National HS POY--at all positions) is the wildcard. There's so much he can do and he has that breakaway speed.

While I hope he has a breakout year in FB, I've come to view Burt as more of a 'track first / football second' sort of guy. Still a FB weapon with that speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Admittedly, I’m no D
    Admittedly I’m no DI coach, just a lowly sales mgr, but without a doubt I’ve never regretted when an employee who is not team based leaves. Regardless of thier talent.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

For me I think Bru's biggest issue besides his home sickness is that he wanted to take over LJH's role next year. That wasn't going to happen. As of right now Epps and Eagles are bigger candidates for that.

Next year Texas will not be effected one bit by the loss of Bru. We are going to feel the loss in 2020 when he likely would have filled the role of Collin Johnson. After a year under his belt of being in the system and the S&C program he would have been primed to be our #1 target.

Now that falls on Eagles more than likely or one of the other freshmen that are coming in. Washington showed me a lot in the all-star game, I'm hoping that is a real indication of what he can do moving forward.

Keep this in mind, Texas has set itself up with a lot of different playmakers that can step up. This isn't 2009 where we had Shipley and no one else. This team is loaded with guys that can step up. Bru could have been the biggest, but that ship has sailed.

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

WRs, TEs, OLs, RBs and a seasoned QB that can become a RB at any moment.
    We are primed to win some games.
    As mentioned above, we have more weapons than the 2009 team.
    If I am anxious about anything it is Sam having the patience and vision to utilize his weapons.
    Last year he was mostly utilized like a QB/RB hybrid.
    I don't want him to have to carry the team on his shoulders. (legs)
    Maybe this falls on play calling as well.
    Let's put all this talent on the field and make use of it.

• Like Like x 5
  8. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

It is my opinion that Texas will surprise opponents and fans with how physical we will be in 2019 on offense. I think the biggest improvement will be the oline and RB position. I guess we’ll see. I suspect 2020 will be the year Bru’s absence will be felt. It may not matter. Sam will come back, we will still be physical, I agree we can’t coddle a superstar that doesn’t want to be here. I hope the offense is closer to 50/50 run pass in 2019. Attempts and yards. I think Texas is closer to a playoff team in 2019 than the general public believes. I just hope the secondary can hide the weaknesses of the front 7 on defense. I really believe the oline and RB’s are so improved now that Sam won’t have to carry the load in the running game as much as last year or 17’. The spring game showed me that TH’s plan to make Texas physical is taking shape now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I mostly see it like you do, although I think our DL will actually be prettty good, and our LBs good enough (barring multiple injuries). Our safeties are studs. CB is my biggest concern. WR = no concern at all.

Agree on Tom's physical team plan. I'm glad the 'soft' label is not associated with Texas, and probably never will be under Tom. That used to bug the crap out of me and called into question previous staffs. Texas Football means the team in the burnt orange may not win every game, but will always play tough hard nosed football. Opponents don't look forward to playing Texas.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  10. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Not to worry; Bru-merang Perri-Bruox will be back for the first 5 games of 2020. Then he will transfer to Clemson because he is homesick for surfer dudes who look like the Clemson QB. After one season at Clemson, he will transfer to the Cleveland Browns, where he will never catch a pass during his entire 6-week career. He will then transfer to Cardinals franchise, where he will be re-united with Coach Bro, right before Bro is no-mo.

11. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

Maybe at USC. No doubt he is a great athlete and can play multiple positions.
    Had he stayed at Texas JQJ may have had something to say about that.