I laugh at Global Warming. Laugh, I say!

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by chillywillywall, Jan 28, 2008.

1. chillywillywall

chillywillywall 100+ Posts

today we have 3 feet of snow, and it is -30 celsius. with the windchill its -46. which is -50 fahrenheit. i walked to my truck after having a shower and by the time i got to my truck my hair was frozen. theres a 6 hour wait to call a tow truck. just crazy cold

2. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

-30c and you walked outside with wet hair? [​IMG]

3. Nivek

Nivek 500+ Posts

I really hope this is a joke...

no one can be this stupid....

4. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Oh yeah, well I bet you didn't see one polar bear all morning.

5. OrangeChipper

OrangeChipper 1,000+ Posts

6. bobtheking

bobtheking 100+ Posts

7. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

8. chillywillywall

9. LonghornLawyer

LonghornLawyer 500+ Posts

What in the hell is 10m? What is -30 celsius? Speak English, dammit--this is America.

10. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

chilly,

Where in Canada are you? With those temps, I pretty much ruled out BC. Manitoba?

11. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

He's in Calgary.

12. based on billings be -4 and minneapolis being 39 earlier this evening, i would suspect you're in either alberta or sask territories.

13. lazytexasfan

lazytexasfan 100+ Posts

14. Steinbeck

Steinbeck 250+ Posts

It's amazing how little information it takes to make some people reach overload.

15. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

10M = 33 feet (roughly), not that far.

But damn, 33 feet when it's 50 below (for all you F folks) AND you have wet hair?

16. chillywillywall

i live in edmonton alberta.

calgary? that like me accusing you guys of living in norman [​IMG]

17. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

It's all the same to us 'Mericans.

18. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

So is it pronounced CALgry or calGARY? I've heard both when up in Canada. I'll tell you, I am pretty glad I don't have to go to Winnipeg every week anymore. I'll never forget getting on the plane in Houston and it being 62F then getting off the plane in Winnipeg and it being -55F. That's 118 degrees difference! Simply brutal and that did not even take into account the wind chill.

19. BigOHorn

BigOHorn 100+ Posts

Those that still don’t believe that the earth is warming are the same folks who sat and believed all those tobacco lobbyist/executives sitting in front of congress and saying “I believe cigarettes are not addictive”…. Pull your head out folks!! Come on you’re smarter than that and shouldn’t fall for the same play twice…

20. SomeMildLanguage

SomeMildLanguage 500+ Posts

Actually, it's nothing like that.

21. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

22. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

and one other thing a half million chinese are stuck in the train station because of global warming caused snow and because they are too stupid to go back home and wait for the snow to abate to go back to the trains station, a new glacier is forming there at the train station.

23. theropods

theropods 250+ Posts

I've pretty much given up on talking about and posting about Global Warming. The evidence is certainly there, but there is no 100% smoking gun that will convince skeptics. It's a complicated problem that involves a lot of variables. It isn't reasonable to expect one smoking gun, but that is what it is going to take to convince some people.

I guess you could say, I've given up talking about Global Warming because talking about Global Warming has given up on me.

24. 007 373 5963

007 373 5963 100+ Posts

25. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

1. Anecdotal and case-based evidence such as local temperatures do not make a dent against the case for GW.

2. Overall, mild GW does appear to be occuring, especially over the last few decades. Earth has been much warmer and much colder, but most people are interested only in changes relative to the earth of their ken.

3. GW is not free of skeptics, nor even rational educated ones, contrary to some. Not all skeptics question all aspects of the "consensus." They vary from nutjobs and zealots (no strangers to either side of the argument) to strict scientific minds.

Direct temperature measurements on a meaningful scale are a recent development, going back a bit more than a century (though indirect measures go back much further). In that span, our warmest year lies about in the middle (1934). From the 1950s to the 1970s, temperatures were flat to down despite the presence of the so-called cause of the GW (this is meaningul evidence against a causal argument).

Most people with even a passing interest have decided either to accept GW as a serious and proven threat to the earth as we know it or to take the current data in stride, awaiting more information in no real distress. I would be shocked to see many if any "conversions" at this stage of the game. Like a lot of other political issues, this one tends to have a polarize-and-defend effect on most.

People in the 1980s were certainly blessed to have lived when the earth's climate was at absolute objective perfection. Heaven forbid the earth should ever be different, in any way, from 1980. We spent 4 billion years, passing through atmospheres of widely varying gases, continents drifting and colliding, entering and exiting impact-induced ice ages, witnessing occasional extinctions of most extant species at the time. We finally had achieved perfection, though, and now we tool-using monkeys and centers of the universe have ruined it.

26. chillywillywall

so im saying the whole global warming thing with a bit of sarcasm. but wasnt it really hot in the 30s? couldnt it just be phase the earth goes through every once in a while.

27. Steinbeck

Steinbeck 250+ Posts

There's no point in asking that question here. You just have to read ... take in enough from the science pages or any serious publication (hell, all you have to do is read National Geographic every month), and it's easy to see that we've had a dramatic impact on the earth and there isn't that much more time to fix what we're doing badly.

It's not just the climate change stuff. The imminent collapse of fisheries, the impending shortages of water, the scary growth of consumption in China and India (all of which are related to the first) ... there's a lot of grim news out there, but it's easier for people here to obsess over recruiting than how their grandkids are going to survive.

If you think this is just wacko-thought, do some reading about some of our future military planning and strategy. See what the generals think we'll be fighting about.

28. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

When I was in the USAF, I experienced -30F in Florida. That was in the climatic hangar where they test aircraft and weapons systems in extreme conditions.

For those that are interested.

Link