I miss WALLY PRYOR

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by TEXnSEATTLE, Apr 23, 2009.

1. hamhorn

hamhorn 100+ Posts

Now they have a guy who loves his own voice: Barbecue Bob Cole.

2. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

3. MaceHorn

MaceHorn 100+ Posts

I would not miss Bob Cole. Do we HAVE to hear that, and hear it so loudly?

4. fly524

fly524 25+ Posts

He went to the church I grew up in – in the 50’s and 60’s. Really a nice man in person. The last time I saw him was in 2004 when he was in the hospital at the same time my dad was. He was in good spirits. Just a knee problem. Don’t know how he’s going now, but Cactus is going downhill with Alzheimer’s. Both nice guys

QUARTER

5. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

been doing the horse races at the Gillespie Co fair for a while now.

Only does one day.

Lots of memories came rushing back when I heard his voice crackle over the PA system.

6. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Come on, Bob Cole is okay. I miss Wally as well, just like I miss hearing the LHB when there's a break in the action. I think I'm going to miss real grass this year but as long as we are rolling I will get over it.

7. Little Earl

Little Earl 100+ Posts

I'm not sure where I've been, but I never realized that Wally and Cactus were brothers. I enjoyed both of them for so many years, but never really made the obvious connection.........Doh!

8. m/

m/ 100+ Posts

"Waits for the punt."

"Final score -- Texas A&M, 34. Tulsa...... 35."

"Make sure to look under your seats for any personal items, and have a safe trip home."

He used to hang out during lunchtime at Maudie's on Lake Austin Blvd. awhile back, might still be his "haunt," dunno.

9. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

Might still be if they serve a mean bowl of Cream 'o Wheat.

10. jcz

jcz 100+ Posts

One of the many great memories of my college days, hearing that voice as we approached the stadium from the north.

Irreplaceable.

11. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

"To the owner of the car with Texas license plate XXX-359: You have locked your keys in the car. The motor is running."

"To the owner of the car with Texas license plate XXX-359: Your lights are on. Better to take short walk now, than a long walk later."

12. swc.lives.on

swc.lives.on 500+ Posts

"Quarter"

"The final score from Lewisburg . . . Bucknell 12 . . Slippery Rock 21.*"

*or something like that

13. cnstoll58

cnstoll58 100+ Posts

Just to bring this back into view

14. jhwutx

jhwutx 100+ Posts

Doesn't he always return to announce the halftime during the annual performance of the Longhorn Alumni Band? I love the way he always said "The University of Texas Longhorn Band"....every syllable accented the same, as opposed to Bob Cole's pronunciation which emphasizes "Long" ....

15. Tom Anderson

Tom Anderson 100+ Posts

I don't think Wally Pryor wants anything to do with Bellmont at this point.

Bob Cole may well be a nice guy. But he's embarrassing on the PA.

16. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

I picked my Username after hearing Bob Cole getting giddy in the background of a game broadcast. I know Bob Cole (sort of) from back in his fat days as a KASE/KVET dj circa 1980 when I was a bartender at the Silver Dollar. He's a nice guy, but he's no Wally Pryor. I'm still convinced that Chris Plonsky was behind his dismissal. [​IMG]

17. Tom Anderson

Tom Anderson 100+ Posts

You're right about her part in it. Plonsky is evil. Other than that, a decent person.

18. MaceHorn

MaceHorn 100+ Posts

I'm looking forward to someone saying, "I miss Bob Cole." It won't be me.

19. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I'm guessing that was BOB COLE on Saturday???

The way he says THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS LONGHORN BAND is worse that any nail that slid across any chalkboard to me...Saturday, it was TEXAS he concentrated on....not good...

I still remember his "We're in Pasadena, give a big Texas cheer for the Texas favorite Calypso..." UGH! [​IMG]

20. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Bob Cole still sounds like a cheesy AM radio dj from the '60s: "HEERRRRE'S a GREAT tune from England's NEWEST HITMAKERS...the THEM!"

or like he's selling Guthy-Renker acne products on the tube at 4 in the morning.

21. Hornin' In

Hornin' In 25+ Posts

The environment at DKR sucks. Jumbotron droning on and on at high decibels selling some piece of crap after another. Never a moment of peace to just enjoy the crowd, the LHB, etc.

I miss Wally and the quality of the stadium experience I used to enjoy (sigh)

22. doylehargraves

doylehargraves 500+ Posts

23. Lidig8r

Lidig8r 250+ Posts

The roar of Smokey.

Quarter.

The smell of bat guano.

Old School Texas Memorial Stadium.

[​IMG]

24. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I miss him, too. He had a great voice, and an Austin attitude, don't know if Belmont made the change because of age, or was there a problem with him not wanting to read 20 commercials every game, or internal politics (?).

25. 53 Veer Pass

53 Veer Pass 100+ Posts

Ditto on the DKR environment. It's awful now what with the jock rock and cheesy country music. Whatever happened to letting the band play like they do during college football games?

26. jfrankwebb2

jfrankwebb2 25+ Posts

I miss both Walley and Cactus. They wer part of what made Austin great along with Willie and John Henry.

27. beehorn

beehorn 25+ Posts

this thread made me remember both Wally and Cactus. Hookem!

28. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Wally deserves to be remembered. Good bump.

I must agree about the atmosphere at Memorial on game day. I go to maybe one game a year, and I hate the predominance of the jumbotron, piped-in music, and the yokel accent of Bob Cole. Pryor's accent was perfect. It's like Belmont is worried that the game isn't enough entertainment. THIS ISN'T BASEBALL!

I hadn't thought about "quarter" until mentioned here. Perfect laconic Texasspeak.

29. lhbruleshalftime

lhbruleshalftime 250+ Posts

30. Dr_Bob_Rio

Dr_Bob_Rio 250+ Posts

I just read that Cactus passed away. RIP. Ahhhh the memories.