I Need a Good Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Longhorn91, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Longhorn91

Longhorn91 25+ Posts

I have a home office above a detached garage. I'd like the signal to reach the house as well as the office. The two structures are about 30' apart. I currently have a D-Link router that is not getting the job done consistently. Any suggestions? Thanks for your input!

2. The Rookie

The Rookie 100+ Posts

my girlfriend and i both have netgear g routers and was able to walk about 6 houses down and didnt lose any signal. I really like this router.

3. 3_yard-out

3_yard-out 100+ Posts

I was going to recommend my Gateway, but **** go for the one that reaches half a block

4. KingKoopa

KingKoopa 250+ Posts

i would not recommend linksys unless they've since improved on the model i have back home. doesn't work two rooms away half the time.

i don't know who makes dell's wireless equipment for them, but i've had good experiences with it.

5. highbury

highbury 25+ Posts

6. The Dog

The Dog 250+ Posts

SMC Barricade Wireless Broadband router. It has an integrated firewall and print server. Netgear is good too.

Linksys sucks.

7. MeaHorn

MeaHorn 500+ Posts

Netgear 802.11b here. **** works flawlessly and has all kinds of configuration options.

8. hornface

hornface 25+ Posts

9. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

I have a Linksys G and it works extremely well, but if you can get a signal 6 houses down with the Netgear model, go with that, however, your neighbors will get free internet access from your router if they purchase the cards.

10. MeaHorn

MeaHorn 500+ Posts

actually, they won't. I lock down my Netgear router so that only certain MAC addresses can connect to it. Each network card has a unique MAC address, so I know exactly who I'm letting on my network.

11. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

That would make you a MAC daddy! [​IMG]

12. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze 250+ Posts

13. hollisdude

hollisdude 500+ Posts

I want to give a thumbs down to D-Link. You don't wanna know.

I am impressed that Netgear has come so far - because their early stuff was trash compactor bait.

I will also give a thumbs up to the Microsoft wireless router stuff. We've been running our home network on it for almost three years - no problemo, but we don't know any of our neighbors (or want to) so we can't test the signal for ya.

14. The Rookie

The Rookie 100+ Posts

yep i have it blocked to just the mac adresses of our laptops.

and the houses in our neighborhood are 1500 +/- sq.ft. and i went back and recounted houses and it was only hers plus three down.

15. Orange_G

Orange_G < 25 Posts

My Dell 802.11 G wireless router works great...and you are supporting Austin-based company.

16. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

In reality, the effective range of the Linksys 802.11b and 802.11g routers is exactly the same. You can purchase signal boosters that will extend the range of either of the routers..