I say give Charlie a VOC

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Bill in Sinton, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

extend his contract five years.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

NO! Well ok, I'll compromise. I'm for giving him an extension of 5 games.

• Like Like x 4
  3. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Bill finally lost his focusness.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Clear violation of focusness protocol

• Like Like x 3
  5. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

I agree if the VOC = Void Our Contract.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

You know that right after the Vote of Confidence, the coach is fired? It's a rule.

• Like Like x 7
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bill,

He has his vote of confidence, which he will exchange for $10 million on December 1.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  8. LonghornCatholic

If you lose focusness, you can't hang with mostofus :yes:. Hornfans bylaw 222.2 1/2

9. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I say give Bill in Sinton a VOC!! Bill is awesome.

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bill is so great he has permanent VOC.

• Like Like x 1
  11. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Bill, looks like you're fired :idk:

• Like Like x 1
  12. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Focusness is now a liability.

13. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Troll pass? Not going to bite.... But the real question is If we beat Tech are we Baaack?

14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

No, but we're on the way atleast.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Creek,

If we win in Lubbock, we are definitely back, but back to what? Being able to beat a 4-4 team, who only has one win against a quality opponent, and that opponent has a head case for a QB? Tech has wins over SFA, LaTech, Kansas and TCU WHEEEE!

Back to being able to go on the road and hold our own against a so-so team?

Break out the big red sodie water and let's celebrate!

• Like Like x 3
  16. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Ya gotta start from where you are. We are a 4-4 team. If we win in Lubbock (and right now that looks like a very big if to me) then we will be 5-4. Better than 4-4, but no big whup. Its one week at a time. Build it one game at a time. If we win out then we'll be 8-4. That's a long way into the future. Each week will be an adventure with this team.

I'm giving my full support to Charlie and the Texas Longhorns right now. And anyone who isn't just doesn't seem to get it, as far as I'm concerned.

All will be evaluated at the end of the season.

• Like Like x 7
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  17. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

He could always move. I think the name Bill in Bandera is available.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

Not going to happen. :)

• Like Like x 7
  19. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

UT lore already has a legendary Bib, well, actually Bibb, so Bill in Bandera kind of runs into a wall.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

^ this is the truest of all statements

• Like Like x 6
  21. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

LOL .... great thread! y'all are a hoot!
    Hat Tip!

Seriously, though, and some of you, ahem, hard-nosers, can call this pandering/rationalizing/whatever ...

I think one day we are going to learn just how hamstrung was Charlie in '13 with staff building. he's made his own mistakes and he's owned up to 'em; between dismissing a significant number of starters, I find this year is his second "of record."

Anyhow ... I think the Patterson experiment cost us more than a season or two.

• Like Like x 1
  22. -Texas-

-Texas- 250+ Posts

We're 8 games into his third season and Coach Strong has a 15-18 overall record at UT. I'm sorry, but those aren't the kind of numbers that merit even a one-year extension--let alone five years.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

A Tech victory is nothing more than a second win over the bottom 4 conf teams below us. Not a single one has a winning record in conf play or the season.

Yay, after a Tech win we'll be 2-0 against the 4 worst, non-winning teams. :rolleyes1:

WVU is the last real measuring stick, since both KU and TCU are below us in the bottom 4 non-winning teams along with Tech.

WVU is the last game against the top 5 conf teams above us. The only 5 teams with either a conf or overall winning record. All 5 have winning records in both.

Right now we're 1-3 against those 5 better conf teams with winning records.

If we're 1-4 after a WVU loss it doesn't matter how bad we beat all 4 bottom dwellers.

Losing 4 of 5 (80%) to the 5 best conf teams during a third season is garbage.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  24. LonghornCatholic

Imprimatur: we're winning 9.

25. CaptHornAA

CaptHornAA 25+ Posts

I think I understand what Bill is saying, at least it's part of what I've been thinking.
    From where we are now I see three paths forward.
    1. We win out and win a bowl.
    2. We lose enough to have a losing season, but win a couple of more games maybe even bigger ones like WVU and TCU.
    3. We lose out or come close to it.
    If it's 1, then what do you do? There will be those that want to keep Charlie, and you could at least make a case for keeping him. There will even be those (Steven A. Smith) that will say we wanted to get rid of him from the start. Problem here is, who would he get to come in as DC without a contract extension?
    2. Scares me the most. Will they (Fenves and Perrin) have the balls to do what needs to be done or will we wonder in the land of Mackovic for a few more years.
    3. This would stink, but at least it would be clear cut.

Damn I hate the land of Mackovic.

• Like Like x 1
  26. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Right now, I'm not for any extensions of his contract especially beyond the 2 years remaining. I'm also going to let the season play out and see what happens and refrain from calling for his termination until after the T+1 game. Win out the remaining 4 games and a bowl win might be enough to allow Strong to come back next year. That would leave one more on the original contract. At the other extreme, should he lose out, then termination and payoff appear to be the best move. Either way, no contract extension at this time, is merited beyond what he currently has which is the 2 remaining years. Should he get the 10 wins next year he's gone on record saying, and he starts off 2018 well winning at least 10 again, then if Perrin and Fenves want to discuss an extension, there would be some positives to see and not merely speculate about.