If Trump should win this year.............

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by huisache, May 30, 2016.

1. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

.......................is there any doubt that Oprah would run in 2020?

This whole shebang is so weird it makes 1968 look like a New England town meeting.

I have no intention of voting for either of the two nominees and having spent some time looking at what the Libertarians have brewed for our nurture I don't know I can go to my usual fall back position again this cycle. It is only out of fear of a further beatdown from a couple of regulars on this board that I refrain from pointing out that both Hillary and Trump attended those august universities of the eastern coast that have kept giving us the Best and Brightest for the last half century and that I despise the thought of anything associated with structures covered with Ivy. So I will refrain from mentioning it here.

I can hardly wait to see what the platforms of the two major parties look like. I doubt that Governor Abbott's proposed amendments to the US Constitution will be tacked on but I would urge everyone to read them. He apparently thinks that with the slavery question settled we would be doing well to adopt the rest of the Confederate Constitution. Seriously.

The democrats are likely to have anti gun provisions and LGBTQWhatever provisions that will get them under 30% of the vote in half of the counties in Texas. If you think I am off course here, please go to the Secretary of State's site (Texas version) and look at how Wendy Davis did in the counties of east and west Texas, where she led the ticket in those counties with less than 25% of the votes in many. And she wasn't running anti gun.We may have a situation in Texas where no democrat wins even a local race outside of the four metro areas and the Rio Grande area.

When I was in Lubbock in 1974 the Congressman, the State Senator and the state rep were all democrats. Now there is not a single democrat elected to anything out there. And Lubbock is kind of liberal for that half of the state. Big university, etc.

Big time bloodbath on the horizon. Only Trump can save the democratic party now. We need some major Clayton Williams sized fugups from him to avoid seeing the whole country go into carnival mode.

Oh well, enough of this fun

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think the floodgates opened with Arnold winning the California recall. Trump is just the next logical step. It seems that the GOP will bend over backwards to support quasi-celebrities who parade around as moderate uniters.

3. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Actually I was wondering about this the other day. If Trump wins then it probably does signal that celebrities can be considered as viable political candidates. They already come with the name recognition which gives them a huge advantage. The American public has become severely dumbed down over the past several decades and can't separate a celebrity's on-screen persona from reality. Unfortunately, this appears to be a potentially new normal in American politics. Ironically, I would have expected that the Democrats would have put up a celebrity as a Presidential candidate before the Republicans.

4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I think they opened with Jesse Ventura, whose candidacy more closely resembles Trump's than Arnold's did. He truly came out of nowhere, bashed the entire political system as crooked, deemphasized issues, was generally hostile to both parties, and built a grassroots movement that wasn't closely aligned with the base of either party. Arnold was a celebrity, but he actually did run on issues and was mostly a mainstream (albeit moderate) Republican. He did make ethics an issue but not in the same realm that Ventura did then and Trump does now. It was more focused on Gray Davis specifically than on the political class in general.