If we played UH's schedule

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Ajo Macho, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

What would be our record?
    I'm not convinced it would be a lot worse than 9-3.

OU: L
    ULa-M: W
    Cincinatti: L
    Texas State: W
    UConn: W
    Navy: L
    Tulsa: W
    SMU: W
    UCF: W
    Tulane: W
    Louisville: L
    Memphis: L

That puts us at 7-5. Herman is worth another two wins.
    I don't have all the answers, and Herman's probably a good coach. But not the savior some people believe.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Ask OU what it was like to play a hell bent UH team before Herman's players knew he had one foot out the door.

Let's look at it this way. What would happen if we met UH in a bowl. The stakes were winner gets to keep their coach next year. UH by 3 TD's at least.

Anyone who thinks TH and CS are anywhere near the same caliber of head coach really need to understand the game better.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I am not sure that's a fair comparison AM.

Imagine UH's record if it had the built in embarrassment of riches, resources and advantages as Texas, then you can compare schedules ...

The reason I have little patience is that we seem to do less with more than any other program, and I am tired of seeing us wasting our potential.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Not sure if serious.

Texas just picked up it's 3rd straight 7-loss season. I would take the current Herman, robot Herman, Kung-Fu grip Herman, invisible Herman, fake Herman, kissy Herman, etc. I would take ALL of the Hermans over this absolute crap show we have had for three years.

And if you are serious, I would say that Herman is 6-0 vs. ranked teams and has two 9 win seasons. You'd have to have to play A FULL TWO seasons with Charlie to get to 9 wins.

And I don't think Herman is a 'savior'. To put it another way, if I am a prudent car shopper, I may want the Ferrari, but honestly, I'd settle for a car that didn't need a quart of oil every 50 miles. After three years of oil changes and breakdowns, I'm willing to ditch this lemon and take a chance on something else.

• Like Like x 9
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  5. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Classic! And oddly true. :smile1:

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

How many of the teams on their schedule are worse than Kansas?

7. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Not a defense of Strong (my opinion: good guy, OK coach). He's gone, and I think he should be. Only pointing out that Herman may not be a night-and-day difference.

Realistically, I don't know who we should hire, and Herman's probably a good coach. But if you think Herman is going to take the same team to the playoffs, guess again. If we see a major uptick in wins, it'll probably be as much because our young team is maturing as it's because of any coaching staff.

• Like Like x 2
  8. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Newsflash - we lost to Kansas. Any of those W's above could easily be L's under a coach who refuses to have special teams or effectively manage the clock.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

I am not disagreeing with you. For all I know, we may get a Sumlin. That said, I'll take 8 wins and a bowl game over 5 wins and no post season eligibility. Mack Brown took Mackovick's talent and won right away (and for a long time). Is Herman or the next coach going to be Mack-like? Who knows? I'd like to explore the possibility, though. I think the data we have on Strong shows us that we aren't moving in the right direction. Like most, I wanted him to succeed here like I want every coach to succeed here.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sumlin isn't coming anywhere near Austin unless it is to coach Austin HS.

11. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I'll wager my money on the guy who beat all three top 10 teams (FSU, OU, and LV) he's faced by double digits since Dec.

First two seasons at UH:

Herman: 22-4
    Sumlin: 18-9
    Briles: 10-14

Herman could coach a 3rd season at UH and still not lose as many as Sumlin did in two.

12. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

That's not what I meant - I meant a Sumlin-like coach (8 win seasons and a bowl game).

13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I'm wondering what our record would be if we had UH's QB and they had ours. I think we win three more games (at least). Or if we had ou's, ttu's, Cal's, Baylor's, tcu's. Not a knock on Shane; its just that a true freshman makes mistakes every game that are very costly. And if you are playing a decent defense they will feast on a freshman. Reads, audibles, locking on receivers, etc all are critical and Shane had issues with all those.

That being said, if Herman is our new coach this time next week, I'm all in supporting him and the program, as always.

14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, it's almost like the later guys were helped by having the earlier ones to build off of.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

Herman followed 3 years of Tony Levine (20-17) and his recruiting, not Sumlin.. Herman walked into a mess at UH.....well, pretty much like he'll walk into here next week except for some young talent.

16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Let's put the brakes on the talent issue. Talented players win and don't quit. If the talent level is as high as some say, Texas should have been able to beat Kansas and TCU on talent alone.

Any way we will find out real quick the coaching ability and talent level - 16 September at USC.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

I think there is enough talent in this team to beat Kansas and TCU. But even all that talent wasn't able to overcome the horrendous coaching.

18. mars

mars 100+ Posts

I would take Pee Wee Herman over Strong. Look, none of us know how Herman would fare. We just know that Strong is not the answer. It can't get measurably worse--- losing is losing. If you lose to Kansas you have no where to go but up.,

QUOTE="Hoop, post: 1487993, member: 6341"]Not sure if serious.

Texas just picked up it's 3rd straight 7-loss season. I would take the current Herman, robot Herman, King-Fu grip Herman, invisible Herman, fake Herman, kissy Herman, etc. I would take ALL of the Hermans over this absolute crap show we have had for three years.

And if you are serious, I would say that Herman is 6-0 vs. ranked teams and has two 9 win seasons. You'd have to have to play A FULL TWO seasons with Charlie to get to 9 wins.

And I don't think Herman is a 'savior'. To put it another way, if I am a prudent car shopper, I may want the Ferrari, but honestly, I'd settle for a car that didn't need a quart of oil every 50 miles. After three years of oil changes and breakdowns, I'm willing to ditch this lemon and take a chance on something else.[/QUOTE]

19. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Re: Kansas, the reasons we lost are many. But lack of talent is not one of them. I would start with five turnovers, then Shane's worst game of the year, and poor Coaching/preparation after that. The list could go on.

20. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Agree 100% As they say: "it is not about Xs and Os, but Johnny and Joes

21. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

But, but ...
    Matt Linert:lmao: still contends that the best team did not win USC vs UT.

22. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Not a fair comparison, but I will say I think if Charlie was coaching that Houston team with that schedule Houston probably would have lost more games.

• Like Like x 1
  23. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Simply put......... Strong does less with more where Herman does more with less.

I really like Charlie and was pulling for him. I hate that it came to this.

24. faceman

faceman 25+ Posts

Herman's losses this year were tied to coaching rumors. Navy and SMU were back to back, all tied to the LSU rumors. Injuries also played a part. The Memphis loss.....tied to the LSU news that broke the night before.

25. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Who the heck COULDN'T win with Mackovic talent...We were loaded with a Heisman winner and many other studs !!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  26. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

Rumors? Injuries?
    I thought this board was the no excuse, spin-free zone???
    No excuses for Charlie and none for TH.
    :whiteflag:

• Like Like x 1
  27. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Well, here we go again. I would contend that we have some more depth issues than we had in 98, but the talent here is pretty good. We owe Charlie for that. We also have a REALLY good running and a good unproven one due to injury. It'll be interesting to see who stays and who heads to the NFL.

• Like Like x 1