If you only read one thing today, besides the good book, read this...I beg you one and all

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by NRHorn, Sep 12, 2018.

1. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

2. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

I read it. Average team is average.

3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

Did Herman write this?

• Like Like x 1
  5. utxhorns32

utxhorns32 100+ Posts

I agree there was nothing wrong with the play calling on those four series however the decision to replace Ingram for the second series was questionable. There’s no where to go but up I hope.

• Like Like x 1
  6. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I feel like we'll c the real Texas team Saturday night against USC. Execution and play calling will be more intense. Not a coach, but imagine that the first two games they're not going to show USC TCU OU what tricks they have up their sleeve.....I know, optimism, I need to see a doctor....

• Like Like x 1
  7. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

So, for example, we didn't show the ability to stop a jet sweep, catch sure interceptions, and impose our will on lesser defenses just to throw USC, TCU, and OU off track? Interesting. [sarc]

• Like Like x 4
  8. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

No, I guess it read this wrong guys.
    It was talking about each play and how UT was in a hole/ by their own fault(even though that holding call was - uhhh suspect).
    Let me go back and read it as if the sky is falling
    Look the article is what is it, nothing more and nothing less, I found it interesting. Sue me. Geez.

I do agreement the USC game should give us a better picture. Win or lose I am hoping for some passion here.

• Like Like x 1
  9. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Wescott Eberts knows his stuff. I have been following him for several years now. He is anything but a sunshine pumper and knows the technical/mechanical aspect of football better than any casual fan. I trust a lot of what he says.
    That being said, my biggest complaint of the offense (which is not mentioned in the article) is that Texas always seems to run from its successes. Against Maryland in the third quarter we had our only sustained drive that led to a TD. It was a tempo run driven . The next three drives we came out slowly passing.
    Same problem against Tulsa. Ingram was having lots of success and looked to be getting in a rhythm. Then we took him out (even before his injury). This was a problem last year as well. Once Beck finds something working on offense he puts it in his back pocket for another day instead of pressing the advantage.
    Maryland took the opposite approach. The jet sweep was kicking our ***. And Maryland rode that gravy train to victory.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I don't have an issue with Eberts trying to defend the playcalling, but I do take issue with him saying "if we clean up x, y, and z, then we'll really be rolling!"

The problem is that x, y, and z are all on the coaches as well. Through 15 games of Tom Herman & Co., we haven't seen anything close to them getting those issues fixed, particularly the penalties and general execution mishaps. Are we just going to blame Duvernay and Humphrey for missed WR blocking, or maybe should we simplify and run things through personnel that can handle those assignments?

And then when the USC game happens, and we have "generalized execution errors" across the board on offense again, we can look back to the article and say "well at least we can't always blame the playcalling."

11. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Similar analysis to Wescott except with lots of pictures
    Link

12. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

LOL, Wescott Eberts.

13. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Anything other than "we suck and we won't get any better" is not going to win you a lot of applause on this board ;)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Are you saying it's not getter closer?

15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Anderson's holding flag looked correct to me.

Throwing for 3 yards on 3rd and 6 is play-calling to me. Not that you should never ever throw short and hope for blocking/running to get you the rest on 3rd down, but pretty much every coach in existence does this much more often than they ought to.

16. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

That article was a bunch of excuses. And we all know what they say about excuses. Bottom line is good teams make mistakes and over come those mistakes. Especially when facing an inferior opponent.

This team is only as good as it shows on the field, and right now it looks like warmed over crap, especially at the QB position.

It's time for TH and the staff to put up or shut up.

17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

21 of 27, 237 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT. Oh, and 2 of the 6 incompletions were unforced drops of on-target throws. That's a bit more than "warmed-over crap" QB play there, even though it wasn't exactly achieved against all-world defenders.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

So Texas failed to execute correctly multiple times and had penalties that stalled drives. That's some amazing insight. On top of that Texas was in a hole due to their own fault. That's really amazing. All this time I thought it was green aliens from the planet plutokrytonian.

When are the coaches going to teach the players how to execute correctly and hold them accountable? When are they going to correct the same mistakes that have existed for 15 games now?Maybe the issue is they're trying too hard to be happy. Maybe they need a good kick in the *** instead of a kiss. When are they going to start playing with fire in their eyes and vinegar in their veins? After all, DKR said only angry people win football games.

The only one I saw last Saturday playing like he was pissed of was Daniel Young, and maybe Cosmi based on what I've read, but I didn't watch the line much. I want to see some players that want to win so bad they won't let anything stop them, they'll go over, around or through any wall that stands in their way. The hell with the fun stuff. Get focused Texas and start playing like you mean it. Start earning your scholarship.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  19. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

If we could just getter done then we would definitely be getter closer.

20. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Ehlinger isn't stupid with the ball when Texas has the lead, it's when Texas is behind and he tries to force things is when he gets stupid. That is warmed over dog poop part of his game. Lets see how he does against USC.

I'm getting excited about Cosmi, we really need him to develop and take over for Calvin Anderson next season.