I'm done with Tim Beck

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by hookemhorns99, Oct 21, 2017.

1. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

In another press conference Herman said he does not and does not want to call plays.
    He said he knows other coaches do that but he doesn't understand how they handle head coach and OC duties.
    I'm going to take him at his word.
    This mess is Becks.
    Hell, I hope it's not Hermans.

• Like Like x 1
  2. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Maybe Herman doesn't call plays but, similar to Mack Brown and Nick Saban, I bet he strongly agrees or disagrees with certain offensive philosophies. "I don't like to call plays but if I see something I don't like then you won't see that play again (or vice versa).

3. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Well, I just spent the day with a former starting Texas Fullback. He does not know Herman, he is an alum. We work together. And his take is, if you don't have an offensive line it does not matter how good your receivers, QB's, RB's are the offense starts and ends with the offensive line. No line, no skill position player gets enough chances to show what he can do. He may get a few chances but they are few and far between. I played defense so I plead ignorance. But I have always believed the offensive and defensive lines are what makes each side of the ball successful. No line, that side of the ball will struggle. Charlie was from Conference USA, he didn't have to play anybody that often and he gutted the offensive line when he got to Texas. CS did not seem to understand the importance of an O Line because he did not play anybody at Louisville. Now Beck/Herman are dealing with it and doing what they can with what they have. Do they have the same problem not understanding leverage that well since they too come from a lesser conference? I don't know, but I think if Herman says Beck is staying he must believe Beck is dealing with what he has and I sure hope they make moves by 2/02 to bring in talent for the O line.

To me the reality is setting in that this rebuild is all about the O Line and losing attitude Texas had until this year. Herman fixed the attitude by week 2. The O Line is going to take a lot more time. No matter who the OC is. So why not Beck? I still think and maybe I am niave, that Herman will end up a very good or possibly great coach in the future. We need him here at Texas. So I trust TH if he says Beck is good. Time will tell. I just know we can't call many plays that work when we can't block up front. And stability is critical. So keep Beck and just wait, TH will get the O Line turned around.....I am afraid it will take longer than most of us want to hear.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

also....

5. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Which I would assume means Beck will continue to call the offense.

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Which means Herman will step in if he doesn't agree. This is Herman's offense he brought over from tOSU and Houston.

7. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Good post all around ... my concern is the philosophy. Still have blockers left and runner right.

rare is the occasion when the ball carrier gets the ball ON THE MOVE downfield ... not sideways, not backward ... not standing still ... depending upon the defender to miss the tackle.

The OLine may be terrible ... that means retrograde to basics ... run the ball from a run formation and stance ... 3 or 4 point. Play action from there. It's not rocket science, it's football. Fundamentals and good technique provide the best opportunity to win regardless of the talent.

This is what's frustrating with the offense.

• Like Like x 3
  8. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Then I guess I wish Herman would hurry up and start not agreeing and step in.
    If he already is, then we are in trouble.

• Like Like x 4
  9. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

This seems like deja vu. Why does this scenario seem so oddly reminiscent? :confused2:
    Never mind, I remember now. :facepalm:

10. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

Orlando isn't going anywhere.

11. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Sweet, can you go ahead and say Texas will win at least 11 ball games next year, too? :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

13. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Well, Hell's Bells and Gloryoski! :D

14. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

i sure am glad the coaches are now trying to think of some things to help the OL. I expect a 180 degree turn now.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I knew our really smart coaches would eventually put their heads together. And just in the nick of time instead of waiting 3 seasons to do it.

• Like Like x 4
  16. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

What a concept.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I always wonder how much of that is coach speak, basically the same scheming they do every week to try and come up with a plan, or if he actually means that this week they got in a room and finally said "look, we have to stop assuming our line is going to block this stuff we're drawing up every week, and plan accordingly."

• Like Like x 3
  18. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

I would imagine about 100% of it is coach speak.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

What this also signals is that Herman and his offensive staff, to their credit, have apparently sought and received psychiatric help. The humility of this move is reassuring. They have progressed from a state of "insanity" to post-insanity...whatever that means.

I can't help but be really encouraged.

:yikes:

• Like Like x 2
  20. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Yes it is.
    They almost need a separate binder just for offensive calls on third down.
    Call it, the Jail Break binder.

"Coach it's 3rd and 12 what do ya got for a jail break, we got 1.5 seconds to launch that mother"

• Like Like x 1
  21. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Off the top of my head, I'd run a whole bunch of draw plays inside Kerstetter, since basically every defensive end I've seen is blowing right past him on the outside, and it seems like McMillan always gives up middle penetration. So there's generally a pretty nice hole there off the left side if we want to run through it. So long as you can get the TE to get upfield and chip a linebacker, you might get about 6 of that 13 back.

• Like Like x 1
  22. eastexhorn

eastexhorn 250+ Posts

Not sold on Beck but with this OL and starting the healthy QB or RB, one can not expect much more.

23. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Naw we just playing Kansas and they feel like they are good enough up front to handle them will reserve judgment till after wvu to see how much they improved

24. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Let's hope not.
    Somebody needs to put their heads together and come up with something different.

25. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Every time I see this post moved to the top of the board I giggle.

I am "done" is a part participle used as an adjective meaning finished or completed, but the thread keeps going in a "not done" sort of way.

Every time this thread rises to the top,i say, "not done."

• Like Like x 1
  26. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

As you move the thread to the top. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  27. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Even more so then. It's ironical.

28. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

As I watch the OSU-ISU game...​

Talking about Beck, Herman, the depleted O-Line, etc., I started to wonder about ISU's OL. Here's what I found:

"Post spring practice, ESPN staff writer Mitch Sherman ranked Iowa State’s offensive line last in the Big 12, citing inexperience and developmental pieces looking to be the main focus."

You have to wonder, with probably considerably less talent, how Iowa State has a much more prolific offense than we do. More talent? No. Better QBs? Doubtful. More skill players? Negatory.

Hmmm. What else could it be? :idk:

29. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

And today playing a redshirt freshman QB who was the 4th string last year.
    And still scoring 42 points.

• Like Like x 1
  30. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Honestly ... "the opponent" plays into this and despite the fact almost no one playing today was old enough to drive a car the last time Texas won a championship, I think "playing Texas" brings more out of our opponents than when they play ... ISU ... for example.

It happens to our team, too ... we should have had a 42-0 shutout ... but we didn't play 100% ... we didn't even play 66% on defense. If the D which shut-down OSU and USC would have been on the field last night, it'd have been a no contest shutout and probably more than one pick 6.

That's not the sum total, but I think it IS a legitimate factor.

Houston benefitted from this back in the "run/shoot" days ... then they were shown to be just a flash in the pan.

• Like Like x 1