I'm done with Tim Beck

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by hookemhorns99, Oct 21, 2017.

1. eastexhorn

eastexhorn 250+ Posts

AC IMO the OL problems started before Strong. Brown overloaded the WR position and let the OL fall behind in numbers.

And yes Iowa ST and other teams have far superior players or they are coached better.

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Beck made the list of worst coordinator hires
    Just behind Shawn Watson

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

"Ability to move the football might be another good priority."

Regards,
    Texas fans

• Like Like x 9
  5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

"Must be able to instruct in fundamentals of run blocking."

• Like Like x 2
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Mike Sherman :hookem2:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

First I have heard of this
    Anyone else?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Booby Burton is sort of confirming this rumor --

"I was just told by an agent that he was "in play" for Texas. I have nothing beyond that, specifically which side is really pushing that angle."

So, the possibility is that this is just some agent PR maneuvering to benefit his client. We will have to wait and see

• Like Like x 2
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

OK, so the idea seems to be that, if any of this is true, Helfrich would be hired as the newly allowed 10th assistant and become the new Texas OC.

Tim Beck would stay on as the QB coach/recruiter

• Like Like x 3
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

If true, while I applaud the idea Herman is giving this idea some serious attention, I am not sure Helfrich is the right guy. While the OC at Oregon under Kelly, it was Kelly who was the playcaller. After Kelly left and Helfrich took over, he managed to get Oregon into a championship game. However, he had brought in Scott Frost who was the offensive playcaller at that time. In fact, it doesnt look like he has actually been a playcaller since the mid-to-late 2000s (Colorado).

• Like Like x 4
  11. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Let's hope this comes to fruition and let's hope he can bring a couple or three o-line recruits with him.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is part of the Wiki on Helfrich

In 2006, Helfrich joined the Colorado staff to become the youngest offensive coordinator in college football on the BCS level at the age of 32.[11] His three seasons at Colorado were a challenge as he developed the Buffaloes dismal offense into a modest improvement.[10] After the 2006 season, Mike Bellotti contacted Helfrich about possibly joining Oregon, but Helfrich declined to leave Colorado after only one season; Chip Kelly was hired instead.[12] Two years later, Helfrich was named Oregon's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, replacing Chip Kelly after he was promoted to head coach.[5]
    Oregon
    Offensive coordinator (2009–2012)

During Helfrich's four seasons as Oregon's offensive coordinator the offense ranked highly nationally in several offensive categories and became well known for their extremely fast-paced offense built around speed. Although Chip Kelly called the plays on offense, Helfrich still played an integral role in Oregon's system.[13] He had a large amount of involvement in the game planning, scripting, and coaching on a weekly basis while having a high amount of input in what plays are called and why they are called.[14]

Kelly spoke highly of his protégé, "He's really, really smart and has great people skills. Sometimes, smart people can't get their point across, but he's a great communicator. When I hire people, I want to hire very, very smart people. I wanted somebody who came from a different system. I didn't want a yes-man. I wanted someone who would bring new ideas to our system."[6]

With Helfrich coordinating under Chip Kelly, the Ducks played in four straight BCS bowls from 2009 to 2012, won three straight Pac-12 Conference championships,[15] and continuously energized college football with one of the nation's best offenses in scoring, rushing, and total offense in each of those four seasons. As offensive coordinator during the Kelly era, the offense averaged 44.7 points per game with an average of 283.4 rushing yards and an average of 500.7 yards of total offense. Oregon's offense in 2012 was hailed as its best ever[16] as they averaged 49.6 points per game with an average of 537.4 yards of total offense with 315.2 of those yards per game from rushing.[17]

As quarterbacks coach, Helfrich was instrumental in the development of the quarterbacks that played under his tutelage at Oregon. In 2009, Jeremiah Masoli's leadership improved as he led Oregon to the 2010 Rose Bowl. The following season sophomore Darron Thomas guided an undefeated Oregon team to the 2011 BCS National Championship Game. Thomas finished his career 23–3 as a starter with a school-record 66 touchdown passes[18] and led the Ducks to a 45–38 victory over #10 Wisconsin in the 2012 Rose Bowl. The 2012 season showcased Marcus Mariota as the first freshman to start a season opener for the Ducks in 22 seasons.[19] He led the Ducks to a 12–1 record while being named All-Pac-12 Conference First Team,[20] Pac-12 Freshman Offensive Player of the Year,[20] and winning the 2013 Fiesta Bowl Offensive MVP Award as he guided the Ducks to a 35–17 victory over #5 Kansas State.[21]

Helfrich was recognized for his impact on the Ducks' offensive success as he was named by FootballScoop as its National Quarterbacks Coach of the Year in 2010[22] and 2012,[23] in addition to being one of three finalists as its national offensive coordinator of the year honor.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Helfrich_(American_football)

• Like Like x 1
  13. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Not sold on him, I get he does a lot of things that Herman does with his style of offense with the QB runs and things but I’d keep my options open

• Like Like x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Helfrich as HC at Oregon went --

11-2
    13-2 (the Mariota team that went to title game)
    9-4
    4-8 season

Oregon still owed him ~$12M when tey let him go. So he chilled, and did some TV. And now it seems he is ready to get back into it. What does Chip Kelly/UCLA think? Maybe this is what these rumors are all about?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here was Herman's response at the presser when asked about the offense --

“[a/ initial update on Shane’s injury.] Where do I see the [offense]? I don’t know. Work in progress. Kendal Moore got hurt once and then got hurt in the fourth quarter with a second degree MCL sprain. If that game had gone into overtime, I don’t know what we would have done running the football, because we were down to one scholarship tight end. We were down to two scholarship tailbacks that had played in football games. I don’t know. We’re obviously going to judge and be very, very critical of ourselves on that side of the football moving forward in this offseason and figure out ways to get better. But it’s difficult to judge where we would have been with Andrew Beck and Elijah Rodriguez and Connor Williams all season. I don’t know. I don’t know. Do we need to do better as coaches, coaching up those true freshman that are in there? Certainly we do. But there’s not very many teams out there that are lighting the world on fire offensively with true freshmen right tackles and true freshmen tight ends and true freshmen tailbacks and true freshmen quarterbacks. You don’t see that very often. We’re going to win around here with great defense.”

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Oregon247 is now in on it too
    All this could be the same single source. It almost looks like they did the same thing Burton did. Read it somewhere else and rushed out something so they were not left out. In other words, "Sources tell us .... " might be a stretch. We will see

"Sources tell us Mark Helfrich is under consideration to be the OC at Texas."

17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Do we get the street agents with him, or are they all in Westwood with Kelly?

• Like Like x 1
  18. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

"Sources tell us" = "somebody posted this on the internet" = "Journalism"

And people pay money for this?

• Like Like x 7
  19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

They are left coast guys so initially they intend to run everything out of an office at Wilshire and Westwood. American Airlines is already upgauging the equipment on their LAX-DFW runs.

20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Out of the Porsche store? Damn, Kelly is upping the ante already.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Seems like his name is making rounds
    Maybe this is all his agent's doings?

• Like Like x 1
  22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Breaking: Sources have informed Hornfans reporters that Mark Helfrich doesn’t know what the hell is going on.

• Like Like x 6
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sources added Shawn Watson replied, "I feel you bro"

• Like Like x 3
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Pac-12 types longing for the good old days, which included Helfrich

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

OB has a couple updates --

1. They claim at least one conversation between Helfrich and Herman has occurred, and

2. They also claim Texas WR coach and "pass game coordinator" Drew Mehringer is being considered for the UH OC position and has already interviewed. When at UH previously, he was WR coach/Recruiting Coordinator. In 2016, he was the OC/QB coach at Rutgers.

I dont know how the rest of you feel about this, but I see #2 as a positive, although he would be a loss in recruiting.

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

IT does not have anything on Helfrich. However, they do think the new 10th assistant will be an OC

In addition, IT also claims that Herman was the primary playcaller during our bowl game. You may have noticed he was talking into the headset a lot during the game, and had a sheet in his hand (as opposed to binder under his arm). If so, this would support the idea he is looking for a new OC.

• Like Like x 2
  27. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I didn't think they were top notch, but WR was the top performing position group on offense this year. It's hard to complain too much about his position coaching with the performance of QB, RB, and OL as they were.

If it's addition by subtraction, I wouldn't subtract from the WRs.

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is an AAS article on it

https://www.hookem.com/football-news/football/texas-hire-mark-helfrich-new-10th-assistant-january

..... “Tom and I have not had any discussion about it,” Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte said Saturday. “As far as the rumors being bantered around, those are just rumors. Tom and I have not had any discussions about who the possible 10th coach could be.”
    Earlier this month, Herman said he had not given extensive thought to who he would hire or whether it would be an offensive or defensive coach. The current staff was in a frenetic pace to prepare for the Texas Bowl and get through the early signing period, which started Dec. 20.

“Initially I thought about a defensive guy to even out the staff, but I think it’s kind of like recruiting a little bit,” Herman said in mid-December. “You almost want to go best available and so I think that you kick the tires on both sides of the ball.”

29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Lot's of smoke. I have to say though, our offensive line and TE situation has much to do with the problem. Then you have very young QB's. Not taking up for Beck. Just saying it's a huge factor.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

FWIW, Jan 1 is when you can add the 10th assistant