I'm done with Tim Beck

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by hookemhorns99, Oct 21, 2017.

1. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Good point. Man am I hoping for an announcement. I don’t know who it should be, but I do know that Beck needs to go.

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

My first, second, third, and only choice is now residing in Brazos County

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Wescott Eberts addresses the rumors, but he doesnt have anything new to add. He does think Helfrich is a good recruiter, but Eberts seems to forget Oregon got itself in trouble in recruiting back then with Will Lyles.

"......Adding Helfrich to the Texas staff could allow current coordinator Tim Beck to focus on coaching the quarterbacks or serve as a way to effectively reassign Beck without simply terminating him. Or it’s possible that both coaches could work together next season as co-coordinators.

Helfrich is an intriguing name because of his experience as the head coach at Oregon from 2013-2016, ultimately leading the Ducks to 37 wins during that stretch. Prior to assuming the head coaching role, Helfrich was the offensive coordinator for Chip Kelly, but didn’t call plays.

Still only 44 years old, Helfrich was at one point the youngest offensive coordinator at the BCS level when he joined the Colorado program in 2006.

Prior to the Texas Bowl, Herman wasn’t sure if he would hire an offensive or a defensive coach — Texas currently has five offensive assistants and four defensive assistants.

“I’ve thought about it,” Herman said several weeks ago. “Initially, I thought about a defensive guy to even out the staff, but I think it’s kind of like recruiting a little bit. You almost want to go best available.”

Helfrich could certainly be a quality addition as a recruiter for the Longhorns — Herman’s No. 1 requirement for the position — and might be the single best available coach, but the area of recruiting where Texas needs the most help is probably along the defensive line. Based on the results in the 2017 and 2018 classes, position coach Oscar Giles has been rather underwhelming as a recruiter."

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...nt=entry&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

• Like Like x 2
  4. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I’m going to go out on a limb and speculate that, regardless of what he says publicly, TH knows that he has a huge issue with the offense and the coaching on that side of the ball. My hope is that he is being evasive to shield Beck, and not embarrass him. And I suspect that his comments about adding a defensive coach are a smoke screen.

I don’t know who should be responsible for the offense...I just know that it shouldn’t be Beck. The O-Line is also a question in my mind. If indeed Mike Sherman were available and interested, that would seem to be a homerun hire to me.

Until we can dramatically improve our offensive output Texas will not compete for anything, other than a year over year improvement.

• Like Like x 2
  5. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Did Beck get a two-year contract?

Also, I thought I read recently that Sherman took a job with a CFL team. Well, instead of speculating I should look it up! And here it is from Wiki:

"On December 20, 2017, Sherman was hired by the Montreal Alouettes as head coach, joining the Hamilton Tiger-Cats' June Jones and the Toronto Argonauts' Marc Trestman as the only three current CFL head coaches with NFL head coaching experience.[27]"

• Like Like x 1
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, but without researching anything, I would submit that our OL coach (with added ******** titles) makes twice what a CFL HC makes.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Money talks BS walks... Dodd's says Texas is the Jones'... let's see it!

Of course they have to pay that 21% excise tax now on over $1 million salaries.

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I am lazy. Is it all salaries over a million or the top 5 over a million? Bevojoe should know, but he might be frozen in North Richardson.

9. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I've read a few sources without examples but it sounds like it's 21% dollar for dollar for any dollars over $1 million.

10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thanks bystander. No matter what, the people of the United States wish to thank aggy for that extra $20 million they will have to pay in order to finish 3rd in the $EC West.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

No doubt he knew. My neighbor's 8-year old knew the offense sucked. Not hyperbole, that's exactly what he told me. Everybody knew.

Our offense was outside the top 50 in almost every meaningful statistical category
    We were --
    No 110 in tackles for loss allowed by the offense (out of 129 total teams)
    No 105 in pass yards per completion
    No 103 in sacks allowed
    No 100 in Red Zone offense
    No 95 as a rushing offense
    No 85 in 3rd down conversion %
    No 69 (tied) in passes intercepted
    No 66 in total offense
    No 53 scoring offense
    No 41 passing offense

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  12. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, I think they got caught with their pants down on that one.

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Viper,

I think third in the SEC West is overly optimistic even with the best OC in the South.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'm seeing on the Dallas Morning News website that A&M has pursued the DC from LSU and Notre Dame. They were rebuffed on both overtures but what is telling is this 21% excise tax is apparently not a factor at this point in their New York Yankee style of buying a championship. They are literally, all in.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

One year ago today

[​IMG]

16. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Are you a sadist? You keep posting painful pieces as though you're driven by cruelty. I used to like you....

• Like Like x 2
  17. LongChuckles

LongChuckles 25+ Posts

and Ohio State fans rejoiced a year ago.

18. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

As I read this thread I remember back to 2014 when Riley was hired to replace Pelini. Husker fans were disappointed that Beck wasn't retained by Riley then. The Husker offense was rolling under Beck. His career has really taken a sour turn at OSU and UT.

19. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Was it? Seemed like a whole lot of times when no one was open, no one was coming back to the QB, receivers couldn't figure out how to run a receiver screen staying behind the line... I dunno, either our guys were overrated or they had some issues getting open.

• Like Like x 1
  20. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

so this is relative of course, but which offensive position group performed better? TE, OL, RB, QB? If WR gets a C- and no one else passes, they're still the best. It's just my opinion that they did perform better than the other groups.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Yeah, Aggy frequently gets caught with their pants down, but usually it's behind sheep.

• Like Like x 1
  22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Ok, I laughed.

• Like Like x 1
  23. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Is that based off of total points or points just scored by the offense?

Our D led the nation in defensive scores with 8 or 9

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"– In case you missed it, Ron Sanders of 247Sports is reporting that, per sources former Oregon HC, Mark Helfrich is being considered for OC at Texas. We cannot confirm this. We can say that there were rumors (starting about a month ago) passing through the grapevine that a change could come after the bowl game but it was never something we could verify."

http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/01/open-post-wednesday-january-1st/

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That's the NCAA's own stat -- which they call 'scoring offense.'

26. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

see? it isn't that hard to be clear about "sources" or "rumors through the grapevine." thank you brainiacs.

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

IT snippet on the 10th assistant --

"...... I've heard Helfrich to Texas has legs but I'm a bit skeptical that deal will get done.

It's kind of hard to piece together what exactly is going on behind the scenes. Justin and I are hearing different things which simply could mean Texas is having two different searches but we don't know that for sure...
    .."​

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like Drew Mehringer did not get the UH OC job

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Major picked Briles instead, putting himself in the line of fire

• Like Like x 1
  30. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Surprisingly poor decision by Applewhite.