I'm Going to France--Wine and Family

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by hookmom, Oct 24, 2006.

1. hookmom

hookmom 25+ Posts

Yes. After Christmas I will be travelling to Paris to meet the Frenchman's family. They feel it is time to send me over since we've been together for two years. It will be very interesting because my biggest concerns are that I can speak with a good accent ..and that I can say "All politicians are whores" in French. As many of you know, because of my ex-hubby's drinking disease, I don't drink much. However, Frenchy has been introducing me to French wine so that I am not falling over drunk at the dinner table if I have a glass or two. It brings me to this. Just how much wine can you hold before you get kind of ditsy and somewhat intoxicated. I think he is getting concerned because after three glasses of wine, I am ready to fall asleep. In the meantime, I'm trying to build up my resistance...except the only wine I like is champagne or just a nice white wine with some Kir in it--so I guess I'll have to conquer that one. Anyway, if you've ever been over there, why not share your stories with me...please?[​IMG]

2. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

just go on the bullet train. its awesome. but i'm nerdy and like stuff like that.

3. NameAlreadyInUse

NameAlreadyInUse 500+ Posts

Their airport sucks ***, at least CDG.

That's the only place in France I've been though. The scenery looks great during the TdF, so I'd recommend just enjoying the scenery. [​IMG]

4. WaywardHorn

WaywardHorn 100+ Posts

I've been traveling there since I was 1 year old. PM me with any specifics you'd like answered.

5. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Pray that your relatives don't smell...

Just joking but, ahem, not really.

6. Hellraiser97

Hellraiser97 500+ Posts

never had a problem over there, but then I speak French (not great, but passable). If you learn a few key phrases (like how to say I'm sorry I don't speak French, do you speak English), you won't have any problems. Paris is a cool city, but like any big city it has a lot of ********. Loved Nice, I highly recommend it.

7. MustangOrange

MustangOrange 100+ Posts

njtexas - ever been over there?

8. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

Bayeaux and Normandy were terrific, didn't like Paris because my sister got robbed there. We went to the police station at 2 in the morning just as game 1 of the CWS championship series against Florida was starting. I started the conversation with my dad with "Dad, Alli just got robbed but we're okay, what's the score of the game?"...Good times.

9. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Hey Hookmom, if it's your first time over there you're going to have a wonderful time, don't worry about it.

My favorite wines on the planet are Bordeaux. I'm partial to Margaux and St. Estephe, but to be honest I've rarely had one that wasn't at a minimum very good.

But, they do make Bordeaux Blanc, which are also very tasty if you like white wines.

And 3 glasses is actually quite a bit-- that's roughly 3/4 of a bottle, so it's certainly not being a light-weight.

Also, just FYI, "Kir" is the name of the drink--the liqueur that flavors it is Creme de Cassis, which is a black-currant flavored liqueur. You can also order the Kir Royale which is the same thing, but with Champagne instead of white wine. It's a very common apertif in France.