I'm gonna switch to Mac

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by austintexas, Apr 21, 2007.

1. austintexas

austintexas Guest

Just spent an hour on them in the Apple store. They're really amazing.

Simple choices in models to choose from. You don't have 4 video card choices, 8 sound card choices, etc.

Runs Office applications which is important for my business. Can run Windows if you want/need to (and purchasing office is much cheaper, for some reason. $189 vs $300. Go figure).

Wireless mouse doesn't require taking up a USB port with the receiver.

Simple computer to computer networking without work groups and all that complicated networking stuff with a PC. If I could figure this stuff out so quickly on a Mac, anyone can. I've been trying to network 3 computers in my office for 2 years and ever day is an adventure.

Plus, the cool toys:
    Simple DVD creation. I have a Sony HD Handycam which I have to convert to MPEG before burning. Takes 3 hours, minimum. Not with the Mac. Just drag and drop from the camera to the burner.

I'm sold.

2. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

His story is better: Link

3. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

once you go mac, you wont go back.

4. random horn

random horn 250+ Posts

one of us, one of us

5. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

Your next step is to buy a hybrid.

Then you can start sniffing your own farts... [​IMG]

6. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

7. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

congrats. enjoy your new computer.

8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Congrats, a good choice on a machine you will really enjoy using. I've been on Macs since I bought my first one at the UT Student Center in 1988. Oddly enough, I run a technology department for a company that is on Windows and I have never spent a nickel of my own money on a Windows PC. After working in XP all day OS X is even more of a pleasure to use. Have fun.

9. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

Tried it, didn't like it, went back to Windows.

10. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

11. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

12. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

Best computer related decision you'll ever make. Enjoy.

13. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

14. LongIslandIceSIP

LongIslandIceSIP 500+ Posts

welcome to the family

15. Swiffert

Swiffert 250+ Posts

overrated

16. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

Ya... Macs are overrated... Like Vince Young. [​IMG]

Congrats on the Mac. You'll love it!

17. MGS

MGS 500+ Posts

Welcome to the cult.

18. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

its no cult, just simply people who "get it".

19. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

Macs are not perfect, but they have a number of great advantages. I've used both PCs and Macs for work and at home. I've had a Mac for several years and love it.

20. austintexas

austintexas Guest

2 questions:
    1) should I wait until Leopard comes out? If I would have to pay for the new upgraded OS, seems like it would makse sense to wait (it comes out in Oct, right?)
    2) do I have to change my wardrobe or anything to be a Mac owner?

21. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

You should buy a new machine when the new machines come out. Apples always have the same price, so you won't have to deal with your computer being instantly obsolete, but you obviously don't want to purchase one right before they release the new machines.

There's a website called:The Link that usually has info on whats coming down the pipeline.

(BTW On the "page2" section there's a link to a commercial, where someone just videotaped their TV. For some reason I thought this was funny since mac people are supposed to be so av-savy)

22. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

23. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

24. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

There are always going to be some die hards who are so anti-apple that nothing will ever change their minds. There's nothing wrong with that though...I mean hell, I'm sure there are still people out there with rotary phones. Ha..jokes.

But seriously -- I've met very few people who have given an apple more than a click or two who haven't eventually become apple fans. The majority of people out there aren't goign to use the things that a PC is made for. Those of you on here who are so pro-PC are probably using the machines for these purposes. But the normal person who just wants to easily play and surf the web, will find that apples offer a lot more 'out of the box.'

But no reason to talk trash about someone's computer preference. Just realize that you enjoy your PC and other people enjoy their apples.

I have and will always be an apple fan...and I drove a VW...and I wear $200 jeans. AND I live in hipster Brooklyn. So I guess I'm the anti-christ to the PC religion.

25. The Peoples Elbow

The Peoples Elbow 250+ Posts

i used a mac for a while, and there are not words in any language that i am aware of to express how much i ******* hated it. macs are pure evil, conceived within the depths of steve jobs's cold, black heart. they are too cute, and not intuitive enough. and ctrl-click sucks ********.

26. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

Control/click does suck ***. I had to get a studio mouse that has a left/right click button. Well that's lying..I had to take one from an old job.

27. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

In other words, you can use a two-button mouse with a mac.

28. jcazes

jcazes 500+ Posts

29. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

Why are people so hung up on the mouse thing? Thats like the #1 thing PC people point to for a Mac con. I mean do you all realize that you can purchase two button mouses and use them with Macs? You can even use the scroll wheel thing.

Regardless it's not even THAT hard to control click. I mean I've used PCs all my life, and recently started using Macs more often for work, and I quickly got used to ctrl-click. I don't even think about it now; I can use it as seemlessly as if I was using a two-button mouse. But, I guess, if you're so inept that you get hung up having to push a button while clicking a mouse then maybe it's best that you don't change anything in your life [​IMG]

30. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts