I'm gonna switch to Mac

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by austintexas, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

It's amazing how many people come forward to try and dissuade someone from buying a computer. Y'all realize apple accounts for like 8% of the total computer market? PC's are not in any danger -- I'm not sure why it's such a big deal to y'all that someone wants to switch it up.

Maybe it's a little anger???? Jealousy? Whenever someone starts a thread about apples there are all of these "my PC can do xyz...." Eh..fabulous. Nobody was questioning how awesome your computer is.

Just another example of people jumping on someone else for their personal tastes in something. Some people like apples....sorry.

2. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

I'm not sure if your post is targeted towards me but I was just posting to clear up a common myth held by the general public. They think that the plastic crap box Dells are what all PC's look like and they see the nice shiny Mac's. A PC doesn't have to be ugly and the cost[​IMG]erformance ratio for a PC compared to a Mac is a huge disparity.

People can like OSX better than XP/Vista and that's fine with me. If anyone sounds threatened it's you, I know aesthetics are one of the few things Mac fanboys always crow about but there are plenty of PC's that look much better than Mac's and they will cost a lot less for what you get.

3. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

No offense, but I don't think your PC looks better than my G5.

EDIT: To prove I'm not just a Macboy.

Here's my Mac, looking all nice and fitting into the room cleanly:

[​IMG]

And here's my PC stuck next to a subwoofer:

[​IMG]

And as you can see it looks very similar to yours:

[​IMG]

4. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

It's not a very good picture of the PC... and yours looks nothing like it besides being black...

[​IMG]

It fits in very well and looks very sleek. All brushed black aluminum, perforated front and back panels and practically silent. Macs have nothing on that. (not a fan of silver computers anyway)

5. halsteadfrost

6. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

I meant the picture of mine didn't look that good. You can't see the subtleties of the brushed aluminum and it doesn't pick up the perforation in the front holes very much.

How much did you pay for your Mac and what is inside it?

7. TexasOwnzYou

TexasOwnzYou 500+ Posts

One of the best Macs I've seen

[​IMG]

|
    |
    V

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

lol -- this is a first.

Both of you guys have some nice looking electronics.

I'll bet ya twenty that 9/10 girls prefer the look of a powerbook to a giant dell in a coffee shop.

hahaha -- I love how this thread started with some serious techno speak and now we're comparing shells! haha....

9. halsteadfrost

10. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

I didn't know that having a Macbook helped you pick up girls... I always thought you would just get some random guy in girls jeans and square glasses to ask you how to recover his deleted file. [​IMG]

I agree that Macbooks look pretty good but there are some Vaio's and other laptops that look just as good. I have an ugly Dell but it was cheap and it takes abuse which is what I needed. If I could build a custom laptop I would.

Anyway, as far as tech-specs go... as I said earlier I built that PC 2 years ago with better hardware than any Mac at the time. I did so for $1000. The only Mac that outperforms it TODAY is the Mac Pro and it costs $2500.

I dont dislike OSX but I wouldn't buy a Mac for it... I do love messing around with different OS's so if Apple actually put out a release for PCs (wouldn't be hard at all since they use the same architecture now) I would probably have a dual boot machine.

OSX and XP are both good OS's and so far while testing Vista on my PC it is a pretty good OS too (just make sure you have the system to support it). I could never be Mac-only because I enjoy computer gaming too much and I don't think a single game I play has a Mac version.

It is a myth that Mac machines are more reliable than Windows. PCs however are way more flexible than Macs. PCs are also much cheaper for what you get. PCs can also be just as attractive as Macs.

The only reason to get a Mac would be OSX since you cannot run it on a PC (well technically you can but it would be way more hassle than 99% of people are willing to deal with) and it is just not worth the cost premium and inflexibility to me. For some people this isn't an issue and that's fine but there are a lot of people who buy into Apple marketing way too much.

11. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

12. austintexas

austintexas Guest

o/u 4 more posts before someone posts a pic of their schlong.

13. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

14. DieUCLA98

DieUCLA98 500+ Posts

15. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

I think he means that they are more flexible in that you can build your own with custom specs more easily. I'm just guessing though.

But here's the thing man -- sure you can build your dream machine and go all crazy with picking super sweet **** to put inside...and cut it open to put some plexiglass on...but not everybody wants to do that. It's the same as someone who buys a Honda Civic and spends time to deck it out -- it's what thye like to do and they get satisfaction in knowing they built it up etc. Then there are people who just go buy a really fast car because that is what thye want to do.

I'm not an 'under the hood' type guy. I want my computer to function easily and I don't want to worry about building it. That doesn't mean there aren't millions of people who do. Just that there are different products for different people. Personaly, I think it's nuts that someone would really be all that concerned with their computeres. But I'm guessing none of you spend hours a week cleaning fish tanks as a hobby.

Just different strokes for different folks.

And again...y'all realize apple's are like 8% of the market share. I think the anti-apple feeling is more anti apple-people..considering each of the people posting about how much better PC's are take a dig at the apple user.

I think it's safe to assume that the average apple user wouldn't necessarily hang out with the average PC user..and vise versa. Again, different types of people live in the world.

Of course I'm right and all of you are wrong.

16. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

17. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

18. halsteadfrost

FYI for the OP, or whoever:

Macs can be customized if you purchase them off their website. Purchasing in-store computers forces you to get the standard amount of memory, HD, etc. But online you can build it how you want. For example I decked out a MacBook (2ghz, 2gig memory, 120gig hd) instead of going with a MacBook Pro because I wanted a small screen. The only difference now is that my MacBook is slightly slower than a top of the line MacBook Pro was at the time, slightly crappier video card, and I have one less firewire port, none of which bothers me in the silghtest.

I'm not saying you have as many options as you would from Dell, and not even close to the options you would have building it yourself, but you do still have options.

19. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

If I had the money I would have loved to get a powerbook/macbook/mackbook pro (can't keep up with their naming system).

Since a lot of the similar high-end laptops (like a Vaio, Asus, etc..) cost in the same price range and Apple offers a ~10% discount for students they're not as horribly overpriced as their computers. Still if there was a way to easily custom build a laptop I would rather do that...

20. Fried JJ Pickles

Fried JJ Pickles 1,000+ Posts

21. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

i guess I've just been lucky that the 15 or 20 apples I've owned or had through work were somehow able to function properly. I had no idea they were such pieces of ****.

[​IMG] [​IMG]