I'm Not a Fan of Paying Severance Packages to Poor Performers, but....

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by KBBAKER, Nov 7, 2021.

1. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

Doesn't our current defensive coordinator have to be let go at the end of the year? Worst schemes, worst fundamentals, no adjustments, etc. I don't care if Herman left the cupboard bare. What I see on the field is unacceptable at a place like UT.

Football 101: If you can't stop the run, you can't win football games.

• poop poop x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Listening to Griff on the LHN postgame, he puts it more on the players.
    No "dogs" on the team willing to do the hard work.
    Rather than take on the block and shed it they wait to see "what develops" and find an easier route.
    And then they are behind on whatever happens.
    Basically said some of the players aren't doing their job. He was pretty harsh.
    You can teach them and show film all week but if they don't put it into practice during the game, well.
    They asked Sark about the trick play pass by the receiver and he said they told the defense that exact play was about to happen.
    So, either he's lying or the players are incompetent.
    Ever since Mack was let go this team has been stumbling around like a drunk waiting to hit bottom.
    We may have found that bottom.
    It's going to take some fresh young blood coming in here that wants to win and willing to do what it takes.
    With enough pride to "do their job".

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Seems players are in position but aren’t making the plays. Maybe football IQ is an issue. Sark said they told Thompson the trick play was coming and he still bit on it. I think his playing days are done. I don’t think I saw him back out there after that play.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  4. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

:bow: Nailed it! :bow:
    Let's see how well the current staff can (a) recruit the talent and (b) coach it up to perform to the standards. That will take some time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

I agree with the "let him build it" statement. Let's pay the buy out and move into our new digs. Sticking around the B12 isn't going to help us in any way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Don't know who "Grif" is, but he nailed what I've been saying since OU - do your job and trust the guy next to you to do his. If you are out of position and it results in a TD run, then it happens again for the game winner (see OU), your *** pays tuition on Monday morning because you're too damn dumb to pass your classes anyway.

7. anon

anon 25+ Posts

If you think 4-8 is bad, wait til you get to the Confederate Conference with all the sharks.

8. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I am not certain what was said and to whom, but I believe it was Safety Jerrin Thompson that failed on the play??
    ...not to be confused with CB Josh Thompson, who I believe had played pretty well this season fwiw.
    I am not 100% certain about the defender in question, but the play may be attributable (partly) to Jerrin here.

9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Michael Griffin. He has a couple of defensive skins on his wall. Enough to talk about our current group at any rate.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Iron sharpens iron.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

We aren't going to win a lot of games scoring only 7 points so offense is even worse or equally as bad as defense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Sark is letting this team fully regress into one of the worst teams in the country. It ain't talent folks. We have enough talent to win in the Big XII.

My most disturbing observation? In the press conference someone asked about the trick play of the running back pass for a TD. He said they recognized the play from studying film, called a defensive adjustment and the receiver was still wide open which was unfortunate.

UNFORTUNATE???? He needs to stop being so calm and collected. Why wasn't he chewing someone's ***...coach, player....who's assignment was it? The most emotion I've seen from him all year was against a ref at the end of the first half on Saturday about a ******* timeout.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Vol,

I thought they benched the safety after his failure to cover the trick play.

14. Vol Horn 4 Life

I have no idea who was supposed to be covering him so I'm not sure if he got benched. There was no one within 15 yards of him. Did Sark call him out in the presser? How would we know who was supposed to be on him?

15. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

It was a reverse I believe and the WR threw the pass.
    And just because he seems measured in the press conference doesn't mean he isn't chewing somebodies *** at practice or in meetings.
    And I felt he was a little steely eyed and had his jaw clenched at this after game presser.
    I didn't notice but someone posted on here that the DB who was informed of the upcoming play and couldn't cover it anyway didn't return to the game.
    Last week there were reports of Sark and Moore getting into it at practice after Moore drops a touchdown pass, lets another go through his hand for an INT and fumbles in the previous game.
    Sark called it "coaching hard".
    So, I don't think you really have any idea of what's going on behind the scenes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

You want Sark to call out players and throw them under the bus at pressers?
    That aint gonna happen.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

And what he said at the presser was "the defense" was told that exact play was about to be run.
    So, we have players that can't keep their head in the game regardless.

18. Vol Horn 4 Life

You're right, I have no idea. I do find it curious when he's reprimanding a player during practice last week supposedly the player walks out and then "nothing really happened". That's a sign that he initially wasn't holding players accountable but now that things are out of control he is. I see this all the time in my business.

Why did you ask this? Nothing about my post even remotely suggested that. I was simply trying to figure out how anyone would know who the player was and if he was benched.

Again, general "I think" comments mean nothing so it's not fact.

You're right, I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, but it's pretty clear whatever it is isn't good.

Yep, why? Don't even tell me the coaches don't have influence on that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

And now Josh Moore has entered the portal and is no longer with the team.

• Hot Hot x 1
  20. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

That answers that.

21. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

good, these soft guys need to get out of the program. Culture, Culture, Culture... Herm's biggest issue, kept and baby'd the cancer, should have killed it.

22. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

People on here will be thrilled with that and calling him a quitter...

23. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Sometimes things just don't work out. Hopefully Josh can find a better fit elsewhere. I wish him ALL the best.

24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Post game presser, Sark called the player out by position

25. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I just heard him say "defense" but maybe I missed something.

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

You may be correct, I thought he said the safety.

27. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No. Sark is not an *******.

**** like that is handled internally. You ought to know that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

This is supposed to be Coach Davis on the bus leaving the stadium in Ames.
    (Warning: salty language)

29. Vol Horn 4 Life

Reread my ENTIRE post and tell me why I would think Sark should do that.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  30. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

<deep breaths>…. It’s a football message board Vol. Everything will be ok!