Images of folks that have lived in three centuries

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by jmatt, Jan 2, 2008.

1. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

A very small group of folks that were born at the end of the 19th century and were still alive when the 21st started...

The Link

2. KC-97HORN

KC-97HORN 500+ Posts

what freaked me out was about 3 or 4 years ago when the oldest man on earth was born the same year as Adolf Hitler.

And Hitler wasnt exactly a spring chicken in 1945, so the fact that someone who was the same age as that lunatic could survive into the 21st century is really, really freaky.

3. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

One of my great grandmothers was born in 1866 (the year after the Civil War), and I knew her when I was about 3 to 4 years old. That kind of freaks me out.

4. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Great link, thanks for posting.

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

My neighbor is 96, soon to be 97. She is starting to make noticeable strides to not being so alert and healthy but damn, she is in great spirit and senses. She is forgetting a lot more lately, moving around slower and it is harder to keep her balance. But she is as stubborn as ever.

She has amazing spirit and fight in her. She has some of the most amazing stories to tell. She has lived in Austin her whole life and is Af/Am. So she has seen it all and then some.

Her thing now is referring to my current dog, a female, as my former, a male. She knew my other one died of cancer because we spoke of people dying with cancer as well as how wicked that disease is. She knew I got the little lady I have now because she used to give her treats, pet her and hold her when she was a puppy. She has seen her grow up.

But in the last few months she does the things she did with the male. Then she notices it is a girl (I don't tell her anymore) and asks when I got the "girl" and where is my male? Did something happen to him? I tell her he died and she gets real sad and says she will meet him.

Now I just say he got "fixed" and they cut everything off on him for his health and we move on to another topic. I don't want her sad or being sad for me.

Sometimes I will see a bunch of cars congregate at her house and people are obv. sad. I hope each time I open to the door to go see what is going on that it is not her that died. So far, so good.

But the amount of people she has lost is staggering. She will mention her grandkid died or something like that. They would be in their 50s. Can you imagine that? Your grandkids dying left and right? She had seven kids. Two are alive, one barely.

6. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

Our next door neighbor's father, whom I had talked with several times, had been a cowboy on a ranch west of Fort Worth in the 1880's.

In 1955 I met a little ol' lady who had been a neighbor of Jesse James.

That same year, there was a tv show called "I've Got a Secret" - the guest at the age of 6 had been a witness to Lincoln's assassination (he remembered the gunshot and Booth jumping onto the stage).

Another guest on that same show was a survivor of Captain Reno's command at Little Big Horn.

"Living links" are quite fascinating.

7. shotgun427

shotgun427 250+ Posts

Seeing 3 centuries has always been a desire of mine. I'll have to live to be 121. Hopefully by the time I get older the technology will be such that I'll live to be 200 or something. That would be awesome.

8. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

Three centuries doesn't seem so weird to me, as three of my grandparents were born in the 19th c. Two of them lived in frontier Kansas, at the end of the frontier times. Grandpa, as an infant, and his folks homesteaded in Colorado in the 1880s but couldn't make a go of it. His mom used to tell of holding onto the shotgun at night while indians were around the cabin.

Grandma was almost 30 before she could vote--I used to tease her about that on election days.

Highly unlikely I will make three centuries.

9. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

My great grandmother was born in 1864. I was 10 when she died in 1972. My grandfather is currently 103 and has only been retired for 10 years. From medicine. He has travelled extensively and on his retirement he left home travelling west by himself and returned home 3 weeks later - still travelling west!

10. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

I was born in 1970 so I'm not making it.

11. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al 500+ Posts

My granny is 99. This is her 100th year if she makes it to September.

She's in an assisted living home and she has her ups and downs. Sometimes she has a hard time realizing where she is and what is reality and what is just in her head. That's usually when something is wrong, like an infection or meds are off.

Other times she's alert as ever. When in a good mood, she can still tell you the years people were born and other little facts and stories about all these relatives that I barely even know.

12. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

this thread reminded me of this article from the SA paper several months ago.

The Link

this lady is 93 and her dad fought in the civil war. her dad was 70 when she was born in 1914.

13. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

Wow. Three of the 18 are from Canyon de Chelly, Arizona (pronounced Canyon de Shea). That is a hard life out there and 3 of them live there.

14. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

Hmm, interesting, but...

15. UTViking

UTViking 250+ Posts

I am immortal. I was born in 1592. I cannot die unless you take my head and with it, my power. I am not alone. There are others like me, some good, some evil. In the end, there can be only one.

16. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

Made me think of this:

17. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

My great grandmother was 99 when she died but lived in only one century. Born in 1900 and died in 1999. The best stories she told were about Pat Garrett (the guy who shot billy the kid)coming to visit when she was little. He was her uncle and she said that he was the only person that she had ever seen her dad afraid of. One day he rode up to their house on an almost dead horse, took their best horse and left without saying a word.

18. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

19. HornsOverIthaca

HornsOverIthaca 250+ Posts

20. MissingInAction

MissingInAction 100+ Posts

I had a job gathering info about WW2 veterans of the pacific. Mainly just finding out who was still alive. HEard some incredible stories. Talked to one of the first pathfinders. These guys were dropped behind enemy lines with nothing but a knife. Once back at base they would draw whatever they saw from memory. No cameras, no paper in case they were captured. So these guys were also artists. Also spoke with a Corsair pilot who had shot down 13 zeros. Pretty damn cool.

21. LongIslandIceSIP

LongIslandIceSIP 500+ Posts

My great-grandma was also born in 1900 and she also died my freshman year in college in 1999. Up till she was 95, she would still be 100% active, driving around and everything. But from 96-99 she started deteriorating rapidly.

22. pmg

pmg 1,000+ Posts

23. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

How many people still alive where around the last time the aggies won a national championship? THAT'S a freaking long time.

24. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

My great grandfather was born in 1873 and came to America in 1892. He died in 1971 at 98 years old. I remember seeing him at a family party in the summer of 1969 just after the moon landing. He was always fun to talk to as he had some good stories about my dad and grandfather. I remember being excited about the moon landing and his response to me was to shake his head and state that he never would have believed he would see that in his lifetime. He remembered when the Wright brothers flew the first plane and went from traveling by train or horse and carriage to automobiles. The enormity of that statement did not really hit me until much later. He saw the evolution of travel in his lifetime. [​IMG]

25. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al 500+ Posts

26. FirstTimeLurker

FirstTimeLurker 100+ Posts

my grandfather was born in 1896 and died in 1993. He had 11 kids and over 40 grandkids, the last one born in 1996, 100 years after the birth of his granddad.

27. HornFan10

HornFan10 25+ Posts

just got back from visiting my great grandma, holding strong at 99 (100 in april)...holocaust survivor, has some amazing stories to tell. was sharp as ever until around 97 when short term memory started going...now shes pretty much just holding on...

28. Pancho Villa

Pancho Villa < 25 Posts

My Grandmother was born in 1909 and died in December of 2006. She lived her entire life in South Texas and remembers hiding with her family as a little girl, while her dad sat lookout with his guns because Pancho Villa* was riding through town.

*In no way related to my screen name.

29. CottonEyedHorn

CottonEyedHorn 1,000+ Posts

My grandmother was born in 1895 and was laid to rest in January of 2002, just shy of her 107th b-day. Spent most of her life in either the Texas or Oklahoma panhandle.

30. mrteabiscuit

mrteabiscuit 25+ Posts

My girlfriend's grandpa just turned 105 last month. But he just missed the three century mark. He was born in San Marcos and has spent almost his entire life in Texas. It's cool to talk with him about all of the changes that he saw during his lifetime. He was 40 when he volunteered to join the navy in WW2 [​IMG] [​IMG] Pretty amazing guy.