Impeachment

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mchammer, Sep 24, 2019.

1. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

This:
    "Yawn.

House did its job in those proceedings. Senate did not give in to the shoddy rush job by Shifty and his co-conspirators."
    What am I missing? You don't think the House did their job. I'm of the opinion that they did enough to indict. Lev Parnas, John Bolton, etc. could have added more to the discussion. And, much of what they could have added was unknown until after the House had sent their case to the Senate. Harris County indicts someone for hacking a bank and stealing $1,000,000 they don't limit the trial to only evidence and witnesses that were known at the time of the arrest and indictment, right? If new evidence comes to light it is examined via depositions and shared with each legal team.

Yawn. Sweep the criminal activity under the rug at your peril. What we know is that more and more information will come out.

2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I think what he is saying is that the House rushed the process due to political considerations and then tried to make demands upon the Senate to do what they should have done to begin with. So then the Senate said, "FU," we're not falling for your attempts to intimidate us (nor Roberts; see Warren's stupid question) and we will go on what YOU impeached him on with YOUR process and YOUR witness (or lack thereof).

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Glad to see, as expected, you comprehended it correctly.

4. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

What I see him saying is the facts are irrelevant if you didn't jump through all the hoops to try to gather them yourself. If you subpoena Bolton he'd already said he was going to go to court. That was not going to work. The good news is that John Bolton is shown to be craven and cynical and a great representation of the modern GOP - Trump's greatest ally until you don't kiss his 6'1" 269 pound gel shaped arse. Then you're part of the deep state.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. horninchicago

That is the process. Same with subpoenas and the BS obstruction of Congress. Allow the third Branch to settle those disputes, as intended.

So what you see me saying is wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The facts aren't and can't be known if you don't jump through the hoops.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. horninchicago

You have comprehension skills, too. I knew that though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

by this point in time the facts are pretty well developed and I am with Lamar Alexande--- he misbehaved but should not be removed from office.

My thoughts on Trump are that he ran a fraudulent university that bilked the students, is a real estate huckster, is a serial braggart and has no business in a position of authority. But, there is no consensus in the nation as a whole that he should be removed and so the haters need to wait until November.

Too bad they don't have a decent alternative as yet

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

How are your investments?

10. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

What "facts" are you thinking will come out? If Bolton did get to testify (He couldn't because of executive privilege), he might say he thought Trump wanted to withhold military aid solely to hurt Biden. But how would Bolton know Trump's intent? It wouldn't be a fact. it would be an opinion.

What if you somehow did uncover a real fact that proved Trump's intent to withhold aid? So what? He didn't follow through withholding aid. I don't care about intent if there is no act.

I should just shut up and let you Dims flail away at Trump. It's helping Trump and will likely help the GOP hold the Senate and take the house back.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It depends on the specifics of what Bolton says. If he truly just offers opinion, then I would agree. However, the whole point of calling Bolton is to elicit testimony that is fact-based. For example, suppose he testifies that Trump told him that this was about screwing with Biden and that he didn't care about dealing with corruption in Ukraine. That isn't opinion. That's Trump telling him his intent.

12. 4th_floor

You are correct that it would not be an opinion. But it would not be a verifiable fact, unless there was some evidence to support the conversation between Trump and Bolton. In other words, Bolton could lie under oath which is very possible.
    Would that be hearsay evidence? Is hearsay evidence considered factual?

13. 4th_floor

I probably have watched too many episodes of Law and Order.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Attempted [insert crime here] is not a crime now?

15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

He could lie, and it would be up to the fact finders to decide who's telling the truth and who is not.

It would not be hearsay. The rules of evidence specifically exclude from the definition of hearsay "admissions by party opponents." The reason why is that the party is present in the courtroom and can explain or controvert the statement.

16. 4th_floor

Attempted [withholding U-Crane aid to hurt the campaign of sleepy Joe] is not a crime now and has never been a crime.

17. 4th_floor

I stand corrected.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Did he say "No investigation announcement, no aid."

19. horninchicago

Yes, if Bolton said trump was pressuring Zelensky, that would apparently trump what Trump and Zelensky say.

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is the full Mitch today (16m total), making sense again

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Or, some short clips if you prefer - each one is 1:05 or less

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 4
  23. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Mitch seems to confuse the Constitutional Senate with the publicly elected pack that we’ve had for the last century. Apples and oranges.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

The 17th Amendment should be repealed.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

We passed three garbage amendments in a row - 16th, 17th, and 18th. At least we had the sense to dump the 18th.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

plus the Fed Reserve Act

This is when we took a sharp turn AWAY from the Constitution and fostered the big central government we all now "enjoy."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Doug Jones' senatorial career is now over
    R's pick up a seat

30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

JF
    I watched Jones lie and slam Trump then say he hopes the POTUS can try to come together>:facepalm:

• Funny Funny x 2