Impeachment

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by mchammer, Sep 24, 2019.

1. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

They know they are all about to go down.

2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

She’s wanting to do whatever she can to prohibit him from ever being able to run again. She’s that scared.

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

All of the above
    Interesting that NOT one Dem on here offered an explanation.
    Wonder why not.

4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

A few things can be true at the same time.

(1) It is true that Trump's comments would never legally support a conviction for incitement. As a matter of law, he did not incite a riot. Commentators who say he did are ignorant, and legal commentators who say he did are liars.

(2) Impeachment does not require the meeting of a criminal standard. He's not having his life, liberty, or property taken away - just his job.

(3) The totality of the situation is bad, and he was very irresponsible. He told everyone the election was rigged, and told thousands of them to go to the Capitol to exert pressure on the Vice President and Republican congressmen to take lawless actions to get electoral votes tossed out. Even if it didn't meet the legal definition of incitement, it was foreseeable that this could easily turn into an act of violence. These people think their votes literally don't count, that they have no remedy at the ballot box or in court, and that their democracy is destroyed. Why wouldn't they get violent? It's the logical thing to do if you believe what they believe.

It's like the 9/11 attackers. It seems insane to us, but in their screwed up brains, it makes sense. They believed with all their hearts that they'd live in paradise and get to defile 72 virgins. Why wouldn't they crash planes into buildings? They didn't know they'd really end up in a perpetual state of Oklahoma.

(4) Congress wants to set a precedent that this isn't ok. Impeachment is their only serious tool for doing that.

(5) Impeaching Trump is not a threat to free speech. He has no more right to be president than they have to impeach him. However, I will admit that the push on tech companies to treat this as a Reichstag Fire moment that calls for censoring people is a threat to free speech.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You forgot (6): non-punishment and similar speech supporting the rioters by Dems laid the foundation for what happened.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. horninchicago

Less than two weeks to go in Office. Why impeach or invoke, or try to invoke, the 25th Amendment? What do he and others know that they are afraid will come out?

Sure, the libs will say he's just nuts so we need to get him away from the nuclear codes or some other absurd ********.

7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

So he can’t run in 2024

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. horninchicago

That's what the liberals here just can't get through their thick heads. This event in DC has been so quickly and widely condemned by the media while they never did so with all the so-called, by them, peaceful protests that were riots. None of us say the DC Capitol event should have happened. Libs still think the Floyd, etc., riots were good for long term justice or what the f**k ever in their god damned warped minds.

Mental disorder.

• Like Like x 1
  9. horninchicago

If he's so nutty and out there, I guess they figure their 4 years in charge would get him elected unless they do these things?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

To be fair, Cruz, Hawkeye, etc should be leading the charge for that reason.

we could also establish that spewing lies and violent rhetoric has consequences.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Because it didn't. Both were independently wrong.

12. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

It took only 72hrs for most conservatives here to absolve themselves (and Trump) of any responsibility for the Capitol Building assault. Y'all exceeded my expectations. Through whataboutism (BLM double standard), conspiracies (Antifa!) and distractions (Big Tech!) the Capitol Building siege was no big deal. This deserves a NEVER FORGET slogan because it was an important reflection point in our nations history. For the first time ever, a sitting POTUS incited it's own citizens to rise up and overturn a legal election simply because they had fewer votes. That's significant.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They'd love an impeachment. They'd grandstand and superficially fight it, but they'd be huge winners in the end. Both of them are a couple of clowns at this point.

14. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Only with conviction in the Senate.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

One didn’t affect the other? That was my assertion.

16. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

I'm not a fan of impeachment at this point, but I will say that I would NEVER, NEVER vote for this guy again. I would vote libertarian if he were a candidate again. If he ever runs again, it will likely split the party to the degree that neither the "trump" party or the GOP would have a shot. The mere presence of trump will almost certainly lead to a democrat win. In my opinion, he has damaged the brand immeasurably. He has painted other GOP into a corner that puts them in a position of weakness at a time when we will need their voices the most. We have Dem's in control of the legislation process and the GOP will be on defense for the next 6 months defending against "didn't you support Trump on XXXXX". Any good policy he ever put in place will now have this stink on it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Trump was never going to run again, even absent the capitol storming. He was going to get acolytes to run for him and he would move over to media. A lot easier that way. I believe he miscalculated the populace and got burned by his post election strategy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

No, it didn't. Those people stormed the Capitol, because they had been convinced that they were essentially disenfranchised and had no remedy other than violence. They didn't give two squirts of piss what violence the Left celebrated during the summer. Had Antifa and BLM not rioted and Trump still would have lost and done the same things, they still would have freaked out

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

They saw that it worked politically.

20. horninchicago

You know this because you have interviewed or deposed, maybe that is the lawyerly term, all of them?

Maybe you can pinpoint the actual language Trump used to incite these or any other people.

21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They weren't thinking that deep.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. horninchicago

You are usually careful about mind reading, so what's gong on today?

23. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

IMO you just described the GA senate runoff results.

24. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Pelosi et al want to force a vote so they can destroy other Republicans---not Trump, who is already finished.

By forcing a vote they force GOP legislators to pick. The ones who vote to impeach or convict get primaried by Trumpers next election and are gone. The ones who stick with Trump will be softened up for Democratic opponents

Pretty simple and pretty good tactically.

• Winner Winner x 2
  25. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

This may be your most lucid post ever. You earned a swig of the hooch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Rep. Clyburn, #3 D in the house, said that Articles of Impeachment could be introduced after Biden's first 100 days. From what I could tell from a few convoluted articles, House would vote on impeachment next week then send it to the Senate later. Not sure what they'd hope to gain then other than limiting the distraction on Biden's first 100 day agenda which is critical to any POTUS.

27. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

they would also keep the wound fresh and be able to keep GOP reps on their heels by continuing to tie GOP reps to Trump during an impeachment trial. It would be much harder for Cruz to be an effective antagonist if he is on defense against his role in the Trump debacle.

28. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Saying that the election was rigged was it.:lol:

It doesn't matter that Trump told them to go protest there in peace. Facts and reason don't matter to these people.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It’s Sunday morning.

• Funny Funny x 3
  30. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

As I said before, as a matter of law he did not incite.