Importance of Dodd's decisions (Chronicle)

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BigEarlinBastrop, Apr 20, 2012.

1. BigEarlinBastrop

BigEarlinBastrop 250+ Posts

2. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I wasn't fond of Dodds as the choice for AD for the first few years of his tenure. Now? Wouldn't trade him for any AD out there, and even though he's on up in years, I'm not anxious to see him leave. Good article!

3. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Since 1998

Mack has five top 5 finishes, 4 BCS appearances, Two BCS NC game appearances and one BCS NC;

Augie has 7 CWS appearances, Two NC's, Two second place finishes and one third place finish; amongts those appearances

Barnes has 2 sweet sixteens, two more elite 8's and a final four appearance.

Yep this past fifteen years or so has been a golden era of Longhorn sports. [​IMG]

4. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

5. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

6. Whiterock Horn

Whiterock Horn 1,000+ Posts

7. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

This is not that impressive if you consider in twelve years at Texas, he's only finished the conference regular season campaign in first place three times (once alone in first and two first-place ties).

Whiterock beat me to it, but buddy do you know the history of Texas basketball pre 1998? Barnes has raised the bar so high we get angry now at what was once considered an amazing season. Should have been around when I was in school in the 80's we could only dream about what Barnes has accomplished.

8. SHS1984

SHS1984 250+ Posts

Dodds did make great hires and presided over improvements in facilities. He deserves a lot of credit for this.

I will always remember him as the AD that was partly responsible for making the Big 12 a conference that schools want to leave, and for ending the rivalry with A&M. He has really diminished his legacy in the last couple of years.

UT sports will go on, and will rise again very quickly, but Dodd's just looks like an arrogant old man to me. I look forward to the day when Mack replaces him.

9. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

Dodds was not the main person behind the Mack Brown hire.

10. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

11. SHS1984

SHS1984 250+ Posts

Yes, by ending one of the best rivalries in college sports, he has failed us.
    I agree that A&M left the conference and that played a big part in this, but Dodds is the reason the game on T-Day will not be happening this year.

12. Bevo-Stevo

Bevo-Stevo 1,000+ Posts

13. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

14. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

We are not playing Aggy on T-day because of Aggy, not because of Dodds.

Since Aggy, rightfully, decided to leave the Big 12, Dodds, Tech, Baylor, OU, etc,
    are under no obligation to continue to support Aggy.
    If Aggy was still in the conference next year, we would be playing them on Thanksgiving.

Just like Aggy has the right to move on, so do we.
    Period.

15. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

16. Bevo-Stevo

Bevo-Stevo 1,000+ Posts

17. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

18. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

19. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Playing aggy has traditionally damaged our SOS. That is important with the BCS. It makes no sense to play them.

20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

2011 - Texas in Big XII; aggy in Big XII

2012 - Texas in Big XII; aggy in SEC

Who walked away from the Big XII?

21. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

22. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

23. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

We replaced aggy and Mizzou with TCU and West Virginia. That's two BCS teams as opposed to two teams that only dream of the BCS. Major upgrade in SOS. Aggy has become the new Miss State. Congratulations to aggy. I think they can cheat more freely now and they should fit in well with the NASCAR crowd.