INFLATION

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Chop, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Clayton Williams once made a very crude statement that might also apply to inflation.

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Those who work in oil & gas not too happy with lower prices either. Activity is apparently slowing down due to low prices. Egg prices are now $3+ per dozen instead of $6-7 per dozen.

5. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Interesting that article states a reduction in EV sales is a prime cause in the $ reduction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Why the frig was it ever $6 per dozen??? We have inflation in the UK, but it was never that high over here or even close to it.

7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Chicken flu plus a few hen houses burned down.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That's rough.

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Fowl, even.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

• poop poop x 1
  12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Salad crisis?

There's a psychological trait in many people that causes a craving for scarce resources. Say you rarely eat or cook with eggs. But you hear eggs are scarce and the prices are skyrocketing. So you go to the store and stock up on eggs--even though you normally wouldn't.

They're going to have a run on the Salata, Soup or Salad, and Sweet Tomatoes restaurants in the UK.

Remember Steak and Ale? They always had a great salad bar that came with your steak. If they are still around, and in England, now you get a free steak with the purchase of a salad bar.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

At the BK drive thru:

"I'll have a Whopper with extra lettuce and tomato."

"No you can't have extra lettuce and tomato"

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The Great British Salad Crisis of 2023.

15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

John Cleese needs to weigh in on this.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

"The UK may be the world’s sixth-largest economy but that economy is unable to guarantee its citizens a salad. Tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers have been rationed in five leading supermarkets since last week following a drop in supply of about half, forcing households to opt for turnips and other seasonal vegetables instead.

There are multiple causes for the breakdown of the UK’s supply chain in crunchy vegetables. Bad weather in Spain and Morocco was the trigger, causing a sharp contraction in the harvest there."

18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

They're rationing tomatoes and cucumbers in England.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Not all Brits are going without salad...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Interesting return. I always thought it was decent for the price. Ate at a number of them when I was traveling all the time on business.
    14 years after disappearing, Steak and Ale is set to return (restaurantbusinessonline.com)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

23. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Sabre likes his USDA Select grade steak well done and smothered in A-1, so the steakhouse itself has very little to do with it.

• Hot Hot x 1
  24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  25. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Fortunately he doesn't have to travel far. There's a Waffle House on the corner of every major intersection in Texas.

• Funny Funny x 3
  26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I see parsnips here pretty regularly, and when grilled, they're really good.

27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

25 point raise today in Fed interest rate to 5.00%. Consensus appears to be that the Fed will either hold at 5.0% for now or raise it one more time to 5.25% between now and September. Best thing in my option is to hold at 5% for the next 6 months and let everything else settle down.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I just saw that and I’m surprised. I figured the Fed would pause. But no, another hike. Lately, the Fed sounds like a backyard football game: “Hike! Hike! Hike!”

29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Salata is a new chain salad restaurant where you can get a very good meal-sized salad.

The Brits would kill for that place about now.

30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The choice was to take pressure off the financial services industry or chase the inflation tail. Uncle Joe is going to take care of the banks so the Fed chose to chase inflation. Unfortunately, when one is broke printing more money only makes you broker.