INFLATION

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Chop, Nov 30, 2021.

1. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

for a day maybe. Gasoline going up over $0.50 over the last two months is a more important indicator. (Up means higher inflation.)

Natural gas goes down as we come out of the winter months. I would not expect the usual drop to be closer to $2 as all excess natural gas is being liquified and sent to Europe where the US LNG is now Europe's largest source of gas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Geez AC, who does care about ‘pleasing’ the US now that we have such an incompetent in office (and an incompetent Congress).

• Like Like x 1
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Nice price!

37B49888-2668-4212-B84D-D87BB6F61116.jpeg

5. Facing Addiction

Facing Addiction 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

6. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

For you MMT apologists. Here’s a guy I know personally. Much smarter than me though. James Lavish, Yale educated hedge fund manager. Now a Bitcoiner. Maybe he can shake lose a few brain cells before it’s too late!

7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

This guy says crypto is worthless, a libertarian wet dream:
    Opinion | Paul Singer, the Man Who Saw the Economic Crises Coming

8. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Natural gas at $2.21 is almost giving it away free. That is cheaper than Saudi gas.

10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Average price of WTI crude oil since 2000 is $75 (inflation adjusted). So, today’s price is a little more than average.

11. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Thanks to Obummer and Sleepy. Could be a lot lower.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Crude closed at 52.98 on 19 Jan. 2021 (the day before Uncle Joe took over). It closed last night at 79.74 - a 50.51% real dollar increase.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

14. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Yet my royalties are paying nothing.

15. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

-but the price of gasoline at the pump keeps going up. Being a retiree on a fixed income, I feel the pinch - and I don't like it. Sure hope we see a turnaround in prices at the pump soon - followed next year by a turnaround in the White House to GOP control!

• Like Like x 2
  16. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Keep hoping HHD, although I might hope the same it ain’t happening. Uncle Sam’s empty pockets won’t allow it. Examined the debt lately?

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

HHD, I am with you, but the best we can hope for is gas between $2.80 and $3.35. Refining limitations and exports of crude have created a bottleneck. Even if the Republicans get their act together and actually win the 2024 Presidential Election it will be two years before a substantial lowering of gasoline prices will take place. Every day Uncle Joe stays in charge the hole gets deeper.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Still going up. Just watch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Just a friendly reminder that it costs over $9 more per barrel to get that oil down to the refineries by rail than by pipeline.

Just a simple question if anyone knows, how much more environmental damage has been down the last few months by railroad accident than by pipeline?

Of course, the pipeline isn't kicking money back to the democrats.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Anybody know when the inflation reduction act kicks in?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Republicans haven't had their act together for more than 100 years. Why expect that now? Their role is to lose and complain about it on TV. No more. No less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Headline CPI reported at 5.0% today. Most expect the Fed to increase its interest rate to 5.25% at May’s meeting and then hold through the year. Thus the crossover is finally here, although 1 month later than I foresaw due to sticky rent inflation. You can now earn more money in an CD than future inflation is hurting your wallet at the store (sound money!). Inflation is expected to be 3.5% by Fall as year over year rent comps come down.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

24. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

That January closing price represented a huge increase from the negative price barely eight months earlier.

Gas prices are what really spiked between the day before election and when Mush for Brains was installed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Locally, we have gone from $2.79 to upper $3.2x and even some $3.3x for regular. Ad 75-80 cents or more for premium. That is roughly in six weeks.

Within Texas, it is quick and easy to add 40 cents to RBOB futures plus a few cents for the store and know roughly what to expect...

26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I presume some of this cost increase is switching to summer blend gasoline from winter blend.

27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

321C91B6-43D5-4C74-BE1C-26FD2E9913F1.jpeg PPI reported today is 2.7% vs March last year. Other than rents and services (think insurance, etc), inflation will be coming down hard in the next 6 months.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

More signs are emerging that rent inflation has peaked — Axios

In the upcoming 6 months, the inflations comps for YoY will be very forgiving since peak inflation (rents, goods, etc) hit peak from April - October, 2022. Right now the headline numbers are 5-6% inflation, but assuming no drastic changes, inflation is going to drop to 3.5% based on comps alone. I expect another rate hike in late summer to 5.5%. The delta of 2% interest points is very healthy for the economy moving forward (unless your business model depends on free money).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, some of us have to pay for housing and food. Nothing has eased there in North Texas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Car Insurance rates have gone way up too. Doubt they will ever come down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1