INFLATION--the Gold bugs are back, led by major Chinese Institutional Investors

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Chop, Nov 30, 2021.

1. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Mush for brains! Ha!

2. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

3. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

4. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Money supply growth is remaining negative. That is good news on the inflation front. But it has to continue to really beat inflation. The problem with that is negative money supply growth coincides with recessions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You wanted sound money, you got sound money.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

That’s not the definition of sound money!

7. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

8. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

The DNC does not care about America except for holding power. Patronizing criminals and poor performing citizens gets votes they need. They realize more than 50% of Americans are very stupid and gullible.

• Like Like x 2
  10. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Run that has to be on the list of most asinine actions by Govt ever. I cannot express my complete disgust. Only the IRS gestapo act comes close.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I rebooked my car rental for this summer and saved $150. Also, we are getting closer to another large SS cost of living increase. Finally I heard that apple is offering 4.5% interest in their banking accounts.

12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I wish on the SSA increase. Early projections are 2 to 3% which will only dig the hole deeper.

14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Sadly, you are appear to be correct. After COLA’s of 5.9% and 8.7% the last 2 years, it may be as low as 2% this year. That would be a total of 17.4% increase over 3 years. Should be at least 20% to keep up with inflation. This is where 5.5% interest-bearing CD’s are needed to make up the difference in the next 2 years.

15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Gallon milk at Kroger now down to $2.20 and dozen eggs are $4.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Box of butter was $7.99 this morning.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Gas is up to $3.30+ and diesel is up to $3.80.

18. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I have to admit, I think Powell isn't the worst guy we could have as Fed chair. I don't think the Fed should exist. But in the real world it does, so I would rather things be a little better than a lot worse. Hope he holds the line on inflation. He still has a ways to go.

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I suspect most of the recent price increase is due to switching to summer fuel.

20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

That happened a month ago. Crude spiked in the $80's last week. Low demand is keeping the price down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Maybe I'm missing something, but according to the EIA, it's at $3.71 per gallon. Link.

22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

EIA is a useless political animal.

upload_2023-4-25_7-11-34.png

23. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Chop changed the thread title again. I disagree. Inflation is worse because it is insidious, constant, and economically harmful. Recession is actually the cure to malinvestment of the new money that was created before.

• Winner Winner x 2
  24. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

$2.98 for regular at the QT in Conroe yesterday...most everyone else is at $3.1x.

Makes me wonder if the did the futures purchase like Southwest did years ago...

• Like Like x 1
  25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Is that cheap or expensive? I'm in the UK, so I'm used to being sodomized for gas and don't have perspective anymore. I'm paying $4.45 per gallon right now. (And that is the AAFES price that's exempt from UK fuel duty (about $2.53 per gallon). Locals are paying closer to $7.)

26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The politicians (like Elizabeth Warren or AOC) who want to tolerate high inflation to try to avoid recession are unprincipled hacks. And they're not preventing a recession. They're delaying it and making it worse when it comes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The upper end of not cheap. A lot better than $4.15; not as good as $2.50. (Nowhere as good as it was in 1967 - $0.19.)

• Like Like x 2
  28. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

29. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Yes. And they are getting rich in the whole process too. The gears that are churning that cause price inflation is actually a wealth redistribution machine from working/middle class to politicians and bank executives.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

This article is only talking about year over year change in M2 money supply. That sends an extremely misleading message about money supply growth. It has been exponential since the early 80's. Now, the Fed had to enact quantitative tightening which cuts M2 money supply growth, and simultaneously they raised rates since 1/2022! Deflationary stock market and real estate crash, with Inflation. That's called stagflation. See Japan.