INFLATION

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Chop, Nov 30, 2021.

1. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Job openings in the U.S. dropped to their lowest level in nearly two years in March and layoffs rose sharply, signs that demand for workers is cooling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The Fed is expected to hike rates another 1/4 point today. As banks begin to fail, the ice gets thinner.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Supply of Labor? That won't be a relevant financial conversation for a while. After were gone. I know demographic birth rates are down globally. That would take 25 + years to have a major impact. It will though. I'll be retired or dead.

4. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Labor demand matters.

5. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Not when the labor participation rate is at multi-decade lows as it is today.

7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

67DCE54D-3705-4DA7-BF96-099F4DC09BB6.jpeg

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Above is best graph I have at moment but I believe you have to go back to the 1970’s to see a lower participation rate.

10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Gas prices under $3 per gal again.

13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Crude is up from a low of $68.56 so gas prices will be climbing to back over $3 soon. One-day commodity moves mean very little.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

15. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

$3.19-$3.39 in SW Houston. This week.

16. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Yes, Mises Institute teaches hard money! Everyone needs to learn what money actually is. It’s scary how few, even successful people don’t know what money is! Zero hedge is just entertainment. I write better articles than zero hedge!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It's beginning to look that way...

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

3-3.5% inflation by Fall doesn’t qualify as stagflation, particularly when wages are increasing and interest rates are above 5%. Sound money!

20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The reason that interest rates are above 5% is the Fed continues to increase interest rates which fuel the inflation that rages on. (Go to the grocery store if you do not believe inflation is still an issue.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

This article says rising prices at the grocery store are due to 3 things:
    - higher raw material cost
    - higher labor wages
    - higher demand.

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

mc,

Thank you for that post. I always appreciate the viewpoint of National Public Radio and their experts. In this case an expert of inflation with her degree in literature from Princeton. I have found that liberal English majors make the best business analysts.

:beertoast:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I credit her for at least talking to some sensible right leaning economists.

24. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

It is not #3. The utility measurement for food has not changed since before the covid crisis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Remember, "inflation is lowering" can be technically accurate, since inflation is a rate of increase. If it still increases, just slightly slower than before, then technically speaking, it lowered.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

So I should be happy if my grocery bill for this week increased less than it did the prior week? :brickwall:

• Winner Winner x 1
  27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If a Democrat is in the White House and seeking reelection, then yes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

If I were to vote for the Democrat whose policies and actions are responsible for the runaway inflation, then I would be ratifying his policies and thus voting for continued inflation. No, thanks - think I'll prefer to vote for a GOP candidate and better policies.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

The inflation was caused by Trump's covid relief programs first and worsened by Biden's continuation of that policy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I was being sarcastic, HHD.