INFLATION

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Chop, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They are good. I bought a pack when we visited last summer at the same store. They were more like $4.25 Still high but not "it's time to riot" high.

2. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Gas went up sixteen cents a gallon between last night and this morning at my usual location...

• Hot Hot x 1
  3. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Rioting won't do any good unless we all riot at the Federal Reserve and Department of Treasury locations. Poor HEB is just reacting to increasing raw material costs. At some point wages and salaries will go up to mitigate the issue, but it won't cover the whole increase.

Basically vote for a Republicrat and this is what you get.

4. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

It is volatile, it is being shorted down right now, but it does have a true reason to exist. It counters central banks. It is the only alternative currency that could overtake the USD as a global reserve currency. Two nation states have declared it legal tender so far. El Salvador and Paraguay. An endowment is the best way to describe it. Other cryptos like Ethereum would fit the speculation name better. Wait till January 2022! :arrow-up:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Oh it’s definitely a game changer. The genie is out of the bottle and not going back in. Governments can’t squash it. As for me, I’m not willing to put more than a pittance in crypto at this point. Maybe if it crashes and turns around, then I might really get in.

6. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

You're going to hate me for saying this, but those chips are nasty. My neighbor had me fetch some on a central market trip. Tried some, threw my bag away. Too much seasoning or spice or something.

HEB products rock tho. Best orange juice on the planet, hands down

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Just bought some since Tropicana was out of stock. I will report back.

8. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Sir, your juice game is spot on, but your chip game is impeachable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't hate you for it. Tortilla chips are one of these things that people have very personalized tastes for. For example, my wife really likes putting a crapload of salt on chips at restaurants. I hate that. My ideal chip (assuming I'm dipping it in salsa) would be very crunchy but have just barely enough salt to be noticeable. Anything more, and you interfere with the flavor of the salsa.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

My wife does the same thing!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Daly, President Federal Reserve - San Francisco:

"With the U.S. labor market "very strong" and high inflation acting as a "repressive tax" that puts a particular burden on the poor, the Federal Reserve should raise interest rates this year, San Francisco Fed President Mary Daly said on Thursday.

Still, she added, with the U.S. economy supporting millions of fewer jobs than before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, as many workers remain cautious in the face of the virus, the U.S. central bank's approach ought to be data-driven and "measured.""

Reading between the lines - yeah, the rates will go up, but not by much and in small doses.

Fed's Daly sees rate hikes ahead, but says 'measured' approach needed

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  13. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Dayum, don’t know how bright she is but works for me.

• Hot Hot x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

She's a lot prettier than Jerome Powell.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Yes, she is. But that bar is so low as to be nonexistent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

As Switzer likes to say, "seen better, had worse."

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Than Jerome Powell?!?

I kid, I kid...

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Oh, he has definitely had worse. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

21. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Jamie Dimon said on cnbc today that the economy can handle more than 4 small rate hikes this year. Said the economy is strong enough to handle the hikes and I think he's right. China slowing or not, rate hikes seem to be in order

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. Rate hikes, they're coming...

23. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Which means, of course, that we will get a new class of the hand-to-mouth crowd whining they cannot make ends meet since the 1% plus interest minimums on their cards will go up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I have much empathy for those living on the edge. It's just that some level of rate hikes are almost inevitable to check the ever-rising inflation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Even for folks who have big mortgages that inflation will help, they will have less money to buy goods and services. It’s like being put on a forced diet. Yeah, it may be good for you in the long run, but you are not going to like it as you consume less.

26. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

And even if it IS good for valuations, they will be too inclined to treat the house like a piggy bank, and voila...shades of the mid-aughts all over again. Let the foreclosures begin...

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I guess it’s kinda obvious, but if what you’re selling is inflating faster than the overall inflation rate = a win for you. If not = a loss for you.

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
  29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

More Fed signaling re: upcoming interest rate hikes. The economy can take it, inflation is the focus, can't let inflation become entrenched, etc.... Just about everybody saw this coming.

Powell: "We know that high inflation exacts a toll, particularly for those less able to meet the higher costs of essentials like food, housing, and transportation. We are strongly committed to achieving our statutory goals of maximum employment and price stability. We will use our tools to support the economy and a strong labor market and to prevent higher inflation from becoming entrenched.

We can begin to see that the post-pandemic economy is likely to be different in some respects. The pursuit of our goals will need to take these differences into account. To that end, monetary policy must take a broad and forward-looking view, keeping pace with an ever-evolving economy."

"But Powell made clear that he is now more worried about the damage that rising inflation could inflict on the job market.

“High inflation is a severe threat to the achievement of maximum employment,” he said."

U.S. economy can withstand Fed tightening, Omicron surge, Powell says

Fed’s Powell: Inflation poses a major threat to job market

OECD inflation hits 25-year high, as Fed’s Powell vows to stop it becoming ‘entrenched’ – as it happened