Ingram

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by wadster, Sep 24, 2019.

1. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Best game as a Horn. Good grief did he run hard in this game. First 2 games he was taken down way too easily. This game he ran like a madman. Hats off to him.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

No knee brace in this game.
    Had to have helped.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

That, and maybe a little peer pressure from Roschon lit a fire under him.

I really enjoyed watching Ingram this week, and Roschon has been an excellent sub. Can’t wait to see Whittington back. We have some serious offensive weapons this year.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

He said right after the game he isn't a man to make excuses, but it probably did help.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I was at the game, saw some huge kid in a jersey no pads, then saw it was Whittington.
    That guy is huge.

• Like Like x 3
  6. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Looks good in the weight room, but if he can't play......just saying....

7. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Well... I’m thinking he will.

8. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

that'd be awesome

9. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

I think Ingram is finally getting healthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Ingram also has the other Johnson returning, so he has three RBs to split time with if they leave RJ at RB.

11. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Do you know when Kirk will return?

12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Kirk Johnson “is available” for the WVA game.

I agree that Ingram had his best game last Saturday but he has yet to break off a big run at Texas, or show that he can be a dominating runner. Perhaps he will develop into such a runner but I have my doubts. Not knocking the kid. Just being real.

We need better production from that position than we have seen so far. Given the upgraded performance from the OL this year, I continue to be underwhelmed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I agree here, and don't think it's a knock to call him very good, not dominating. Still he's got good vision, nice moves, and some bite when he gets his pads down.

Call me whelmed

• Like Like x 2
  14. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I was at the game, Ingram or the leading rusher in the NCAA?

I’ll take Ingram. No contest.

15. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Edit as I just saw this again.

"I'm not a guy to make excuses, but I mean the knee brace was off and I'm going to just leave it at that."

16. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I’m in the best game ever for Ingram but let me tell you I am VERY excited for Kirk J to get some carries. Don’t know if predict how he’ll do I’m just happy for the kid after all he’s endured and still kept his positive attitude and mental focus.
    Hookem

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Guys, he is still just a sophomore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  18. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Yep, Kirk was suited up at the OSU game, I’m almost sure of that... I think i saw him.

19. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I too, am whelmed.

He keeps running like this and the big plays will come. Also, big games are where the most whelms can be accrued, so he has a good opportunity against an opponent like OU. I am sure he wants to make a statement against them. Can't wait to see the whelms in abundance.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

@Detective Shilala are you predicting a multi-whelm performance against OU? I can see it happening, given the recent whelms.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Its not merely on the RBs and OL... This scheme we have is BAD....Hand off 5 yards or more deep on a slow developing base dive up the middle that requires an OL to hold his block for 5 seconds......The only thing changes is blocking scheme ( base it, pull a G etc, zone it...... Its like the Channnelview High School offense of the early 1980s... "ten different ways to run 12 dive "....SMDH
    We could really use two backs, some crossbuck action and misdirection once in a while..a sweep or two...anything different to make the defense wonder whats coming.........sheeesh...... look how the stretch play to the left and bootleg right worked when Sam got us the first down to seal the OSU win....
    We will not change. Herman says ," This is what we do and we will not change."
    INSANITY ---- Doing something over and over and expecting different results. We rush for good yardage against weak sisters of the poor and he and others think the running game ( dive up the gut ) is just fine...until we do the same vanilla mess against a quality team and we get our **** packed in, and Sam has to try to save the day with a one dimensional passing offense. Our pass routes seem to be lacking as well for a team running a spread offense. Can you imagine how good we could be with Sam if we had some creativity in our running game and route running ? Not knocking anyone...Just being real and taking up for Ingram.

22. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Not to nitpick, but I believe whelmedness is an amount, not a number.

23. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

On JWhitt....for anyone on here who doesn't know....if he overcomes this nagging groin injury (been fighting it for some time...since before this last incident) he has the potential to and very likely could be one of our most impactful players...immediately. There is a reason TH was working him in early at RB, and it wasn't just shallow depth. Dude is legit. For the record I am a big KI fan, too...he definitely has it in him. Just hope it comes out.

24. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I'll take the over on the whelms, please.

• Hot Hot x 1
  25. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I understand some of your frustration, but Keontay did break some seriously good runs last week. I don't know what his top end 40 yard dash time is, but his shiftiness and toughness meet expectations for me.

Maybe JW's 40 is better, and maybe we'll see a 50+ run from him. But runs over 50 are pretty rare these days due to everybody having burners in the secondary who run down folks. just saying...

• Like Like x 1
  26. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

After that screed, you say you're not knocking anyone? lmao! You're knocking the whole coaching staff.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

Definitely Ingram's best game. He looked good. He looked reliable. That's what was missing before. He might get 7-8 yds every once in a while but when you needed it, he didn't put his head down and fight for 2 yds. Last week it seemed like he did. We don't need homeruns, we need they guy that can score from the 2. We need the guy that will get you 3 yrds on 3rd down ...and do it consistently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I think our inside the 5 offense is a bit tired and predictable. A few play action passes (to a tight end, or RB, etc.) might help. Or, as some have suggested, putting a "Big" package in with Sam under center from the two on in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I would bet good money they are working on some package upgrades or improvements for short yardage situations after the OSU game and the LSU game. They have called predictable vanilla plays so far but that roll out at the very end of the OSU game was great and I think we'll see more RPO's in short yardage situations getting Sam outside the tackle box in the future this season. Option plays should work in that situation, maybe a zone read look. I'm not Beck but hopefully they increase creativity and better utilize our weapons in short yardage after this bye week. Would also be nice to have J Whit's services for these new short yardage packages. Can you imagine a diamond formation behind Sam with J Whit, RoJo, and KI. That would be hard to stop unless we just call three dives in a row from the two like we did against LSU.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

OU went through the same thing. Belldozer package was unstoppable for about a year. Then teams figured it out and it was over. Same with the Sam sneak package. It will work some when it's not obvious run play, but it's dead on 4th and 2. We have 5 blockers and the other team put 7 guys in the box. Throw it out to Duverney if you want the 1st. We did it a couple of times and it worked every time. Then once they have to account for that they can't keep 7 in the box. They were literally covering 3 with 2 at the line and a deep safety. Check to that and you got 5 easy.

• Like Like x 1