Initial 2022-2023 Longhorn Offense Depth Projection

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by RainH2burntO, Feb 11, 2022.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I'd put the chance of Banks starting over either Jones or Karic at 1-in-50. Is he better than both right now? Maybe. But it'd be beyond doubtful to bring back once-promising returning starters and just say "screw it." Karic for sure... he was the weakest link on a lot of our poor protection last season, but that's a really rough position to just step in and play.

People shouldn't sleep on Alexis. If Omeire is unable to go because of injury, last summer's workouts showed that Worthy and Alexis were the ones that were going to shine, even more so than Whittington at the time. It's easy to say that Neyor will just step in and be the "other" Worthy, but with plenty of talent to go around, I think WR will be an interesting position for even more young guys to step up. Heck, Brenen Thompson could work his way into top-3 of the group.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

This just in:
    Whittington to miss Spring workouts due to hangnail.
    The guy can’t catch a break.

• poop poop x 1
  4. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Jordan Shipley on line one.

5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Note JWhit plays in more games each season. Similar to Shipley.

6. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

Thanks for your observation on Alexis, I was unable to watch any practices last year and I wanted to watch what he could do, so that is encouraging.
    I also agree on your thoughts about the OL, not to discount the freshmen coming in, but who knows, maybe the returners really improve with another year of training and have more fire than they showed last season as a goal.

7. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

No mention of Keilan Robinson?

8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Both Karic and Jones must get a lot better—and they might. Banks could be starting at some point this year. I’m not so worrried about our C and Gs.

9. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

10. RainH2burntO

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. RainH2burntO

"This is one of the few position battles that is settled already. Bijan Robinson is considered to be a Heisman candidate, and the Longhorns will likely rely heavily on him in 2022 in order to take pressure of the quarterback. Roschon Johnson and even Keilan Robinson who is slated at the third spot on the depth chart."

Barely a mention ....
    But I want to hear more about him, too. Guy looks like a baller to me and seemed very underutilized last season iMHO.
    May have been a product of rotation/PT combined with blocking/line problems, but I still dont get it. Looked like he "deserved" a larger role and I hope to see much more of him. (Very possible with new influence of Brennan Marion).
    FWIW I did see another piece somewhere highlighting Kielan more and predicting/expecting greater utilization. Lets hope it proves accurate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

K Robinson sure is good on swing passes and other passes coming out of the backfield.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. RainH2burntO

I would think with Marion's creativity coming in, combined with Sark....if these guys stay healthy....possibilities endless....JWhitt, Worthy, Omiere, Neyor, Bijan, RJ, Keilan, throw in maybe Billingsley and/or Sanders......If they cannot make this a creative and dangerous offense then it will be either totally on them or a reflection of poor Qb and/or Oline play.....two areas of concern still going in.
    But the skill position talent and skill mix we have...hopefully available ...should be scary if utilized well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  14. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

I've said it before:
    A wildcat formation with Bijan, Roschon, Whittington, and the "other" Robinson would be lethal. Two of them played QB in high school, so you could pass out of it, too.

Marion's "Go-Go" offense, which typically features two RBs lined up on the same side of the QB, could work with this personnel. Or go old-school and run the wishbone in short-yardage situations; most defenses won't know how to stop it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Both of those two need to dramatically improve -- and they might, I wouldn't write them off yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Where's the defense? LB concerns me the most.

18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Precariously close to the 10 yard minimum offense.

19. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

Makes sense. While the OL play was pretty poor last year, we were not playing with 2 star HS talent and year's of seasoning makes a difference. OL who can come in as frosh and beat out seasoned players, even ones who were lower ranked out of HS are A typically talented, A typically skilled and A typically developed which is a very rare combination coming out of high school. Maybe we'll get lucky with one of them, but I would have felt a lot better if if could have portaled in a proven P5 OT.

20. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

I mean, was there ever really a question about this? I mean, who else even brought in 7 OL in this year's class, much less two 5 stars and three 4 stars, with two 3 stars for good measure. Most schools bring in 3-4. That headline is like, "Breaking news, the sun came up this morning". I would like to see ESPN declare Texas' offensive line class the best in recorded history because if it is not, it is bound to be up there.