Injured Ump

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by orangeblack&gold, Mar 14, 2010.

1. orangeblack&gold

orangeblack&gold 500+ Posts

Scott was talking to Randy Chrystal (sp?) after the game and it appears that the poor ump that Brandon hit ended up breaking a bone or bones in BOTH hands. Hope he gets well soon as that looked really painful and I don't think there was much speed change as I think the batter missed on the bunt and Camo didn't slow it down much if at all.

2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

3. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

I'll never forget the ump who took a foul ball to the to the chin/throat a couple of years back and had to be carried off the field.

It is always a freak accident, but those guys have to stay on their toes.

4. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

There is a reason you pay 500 for all that gear. He needs to learn to use it. It's uncomfortable and cumbersome, but it serves a purpose.

5. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

Can someone describe what happened? It's hard for me to visualize how an ump can break multiple bones in both hands on one play. [​IMG]

6. ElginHotSausage

ElginHotSausage 500+ Posts

he was picking his nose with both hands and got hit in the face

7. orangeblack&gold

orangeblack&gold 500+ Posts

He was crouched behind Cameron and had both hands right in front of his chest and the ball was swung on by the batter and Camo completely missed it and it made a beeline right for the guys hands. Seems odd that it would have gotten bones in both hands but that's what the other ump said after the game.

8. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

I've caught foul tips on the arm or shoulder while umpiring in Pony ball. That hurt enough (although I didn't let on [​IMG] ). I imagine it smarts a tad bit more at this level.