Injuries -- Carlson's out; pitchers

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Chop, Feb 16, 2023.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Harrison - out for the season. Tommy John.

Schusler- out for the season. Index finger surgery.

They’re both good. Harrison was our most reliable reliever last year.(but that’s not saying much…)

Schuesler has a very good bat for a catcher.

2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

And the latest I've seen on Witt is to expect him on the mound in April.

3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Any updates on Shaw? ("tenderness" in arm...)

Hopefully, it's not even an injury.

I just don't like the "tenderness" in the arm phrase. That's what they first said about Witt and Harrison.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

And what about Daly? He was semi-limping on the basepads after getting hit in the leg.

5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

If Daly's not good to go for TX St, then we might see:

SS: J DuPlantier or Flores or Carlson

6. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Any update on Witt possible return this month?

7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Shaw was back in action.

8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Longhorns Daily News: Texas’ David Pierce: Tanner Witt will see mound later this year - Burnt Orange Nation

Tanner Witt sets his eyes on returning to the mound

Texas Baseball: RHP Tanner Witt 'on schedule' to return this season

MSN (April 6):
    "David Pierce provided an update on the status of former freshman All-American Tanner Witt on Thursday morning. Pierce stated Witt remains on track with his recovery and could be ready to pitch by the end of April."

Daily Texan (April 6):
    “He wants to pitch,” Pierce said. “I think the earliest would probably be mid-April. That would be the earliest timeline, and we’ll be smart with it.”

Witt continues to stay positive about his progress.

“I feel good. The elbow feels really good, which is a relief,” he said to Prospects Live’s 2023 MLB Draft Show. “I haven’t had any problems, any setbacks (and I’m) feeling really strong.”

9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

As expected, the 2 inning-stopper starting with TCU (maybe - hope) or Kansas.

11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The announcers said Carlson is out for the year...

(there have been some conflicting reports on the nature of the injury; I saw a picture of him with an arm sling)

Last edited: May 20, 2023
  12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

In retrospect, both Witt and Harrison out this year due to injury cost is 6-10 games. The others who needed to step up in their absence didn’t really do so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

If we had Harrison this year, it would be like having 2 Shaws. 3+ extra wins this year.

14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

If we had the Witt of 2021 for this whole year, that would be like having another Gordon. Those 2 + LBJ as the 3 starters ---> we would be another 2023 Wake Forest. Top 1-2 starting pitching staffs in the Nation.

15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Even today's still-recovering Witt would be the Ace on plenty of pitching staffs. By the time of the Regionals, Supers, and Omaha, he might be getting back to his previous level (or close to it). He's been through a lot physically. We'll see. He was really good today. Gotta keep easing him back into it. Bit-by-bit.

:ut::ut::ut:

16. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

Carlson was hit by a pitch in game two, right? I hate that he’ll miss the postseason, for him and for the team. He was contributing

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I think that was it. I don’t remember if it was his elbow or somewhere else. The loss of Carlson takes a 0.300+ bat out of the lineup.

18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Any news on Shaw? He left the KSU game with a hurt arm.

Anything (besides rumors) about Burke or Tole?

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  19. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Burke is in the portal.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

That sucks. He was our most reliable reliever. I wonder if he felt like he was being overused? Pro closers and stoppers get used a lot more than he did this year.

21. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Burke. Not Shaw. Terrible mistake on my part. I should be fired from my position.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Oh. Ok. I can understand with Burke. It seems that he was underused despite having some very good stats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I know this is polishing a turd, but, given our recent spate of injuries, going 2 and out at the B12 tourney will likely help give us more time to heal a bit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Does this mean he's not playing the post season? not sure how this works. Hes likely only getting a few more innings, if that, so he's not missing alot.

25. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

It’s my understanding he is no longer with the team. I’d assume him missing the last several weeks was tied into this uptime result.

With Shaw and Tole out with injuries and Burke leaving the team, that’s significant loss of depth. Those guys could have combined on about a full games worth of innings over a weekend.

26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

That's a gutting out of our bullpen. There's 3 of our top relievers: Shaw, Tole, and Burke. What's the deal with Burke. Couldn't he wait until the season's over to make a move? Quitting on your team (if that's actually what's going on here) isn't a good look to the pro scouts or to other college teams looking for portals.

This will significantly impact our ability to go far in this playoffs. We can still make it to Omaha, but it just got a lot more difficult.

27. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Reading elsewhere, it was an off field incident. Take your pick as to which is worse. No idea whether he was forced out or elected to go.

• Hot Hot x 1