Installing a Wall Outlet toilet

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by suttree, Apr 21, 2004.

1. suttree

suttree 500+ Posts

My toilet's upstairs are wall outlet, and one leaks. I pulled it this morning and they plumber who installed it 2 years ago used a stadard wax ring. I am reading online that you are not supposed to use a standard wax ring.

I can set a normal toilet with great skill and aplomb, but this wall outlet is beyond me.

Anyone ever do this and know what kind of gasket you are supposed to use?

2. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

Is it an American Standard?

3. Gardner Barnes

Gardner Barnes 250+ Posts

just dig a hole in the floor and place a metal tube down through the bottom floor into the ground.

4. suttree

suttree 500+ Posts

I am going to buy a new one, so it could be an American Standard. I had picked out a Kohler, but it doesn't really matter to me. What does matter is not having the new one cause $2,000 of damage to my hardwoods again.

5. 96 Buff

96 Buff 100+ Posts

Look for a sponge-gasket for a wall-hung toilet. Be sure to have someone there to help you with the removal and installation of the toilet as they're rather heavy.

6. hollisdude

hollisdude 500+ Posts

Wall mounts will leak 100% of the time ... and 100% more than floor mounts. Factoid.

7. suttree

suttree 500+ Posts

Wall Outlets are about 100% of commercial applications, so I feel somewhat confident they can be installed without leaking. Obviously not by my last plumber, though.

8. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

Mine leaked and I had to call three plumbers before I found one that could handle the job. Of course, I live in BFE. They had to come from Kingsville.

9. 96 Buff

96 Buff 100+ Posts

10. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

I would not ever put a well mount in my own home because of the leaking problems.

But if I had to, I would call the highest high end commercial plumber I could find to do the job.