Iowa has now lost...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by OrangeChipper, Sep 4, 2013.

1. OrangeChipper

OrangeChipper 1,000+ Posts

7 straight games. Way to go Greg Davis!!

And these losses are against the likes of such juggernauts known as....

Northern Illinois,

Indiana,

Purdue,

WOWSERS. Good luck Greg Davis.

2. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Has anyone watched Iowa in any of these games? I’m wondering if their offense is basically the same as what we were used to seeing with Davis.

He’s a good guy, I hope he gets things going and has success. He helped us achieve a remarkable turnaround at UT.

3. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

Northern Illinois was 12-2 last year and played in a BCS game. They would have beat Texas last year.

Greg Davis is a good coach. The best Texas teams and offenses were with him as OC.

4. 84 Horn

84 Horn 500+ Posts

I loved the way Greg started out each game with a soft toss to the wideout to soften up the defense for his horizontal passing game.

5. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

6. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Iowa will be Ok once Nic Shimonek takes over at QB.

7. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

8. cmtsip

cmtsip 500+ Posts

No, he isn't! Often wondered what he had on Mack to keep him around for so long.....

9. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Quite a few out there think Greg Davis is a good QB coach, but I am not sure how anyone can still think he is a good coordinator.

10. pk-horn

pk-horn 25+ Posts

I don't wish him any ill will. We had some good years with Davis; 98, 04, 05, 08, 09 come to mind. It was time for him to go, but I don't understand the animus.

11. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

When ever judging a former coach like Davis or McWilliams or Mackovic, is one simple question. Did he leave the program in better shape than he found it? With Greg and John the answer is begrudgingly "yes". With McWilliams, it is an unfortunate "no".

12. texas_ex2000

Slugga, let us know when you win the Broyles award, then maybe your hypercritical opinion of him may have some credibility. You're like the anti-fanboy. I gues the term is "hater" right? Is the saying, "haters always gonna hate?" Man, it must have sucked for you when he won that award and coached all those record breaking offenses. I'm imaging sonething like these comic book fans complaining about Heath Ledger and Ben Affleck getting cast in these Batman movies.

Was it time for him to go? Sure. Has the game passed him by? Probably...not a bad coach though. Better shape when he left then when he got here, O'Brien candidates, 3 NFL QBs, MNC, highest scoring offense in NCAA history, etc. Haters will hate, but you can't argue the above...that alone puts him at least above average.

13. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

14. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Prodding slugga for why he thinks Greg Davis isn't a good coach is like poking a sleeping pit bull. He might bust out the whooping stick of reasons why Davis sucks, but he really doesn't have to.

"Broyles Awards" aside (btw, he had to totally abandon his philosophy and let VY be VY in order to win that award), it's safe to say that no one fears GD. Not even when he was at Texas.

15. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

Broy [​IMG] les Aw [​IMG] ard

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The Link

Our first possession of the game:

UT 1&10 @ T27 Gilbert, Garret pass complete to Kirkendoll, Jam for loss of 2 yards to T25
    UT 2&12 @ T25 Gilbert, Garret pass complete to Kirkendoll, Jam for loss of 2 yards to T23
    UT 3&14 @ T23 Gilbert, Garret pass complete to Smith, Greg for 7 yards to T30
    UT 4&07 @ T30 Gold, John punt 45 yards to O25, fair catch

17. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

The Link

Wonder if she could use having to watch a Greg Davis offense as a defense for drinking so much...

18. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

I wish him well............somewhere else.

19. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

a great player will make an inept coach look good, hence the 98, 04, 05, 08, 09 years. Davis did not win the Broyles award on his own merits.

20. Gadfly

Gadfly 250+ Posts

21. Trusted Insider

Trusted Insider 1,000+ Posts

I wish he was more appreciated if for no other reason than he was a good guy and gave us his best.

Almost a Simms like negative fixation on GD.

22. Gadfly

Gadfly 250+ Posts

23. texas_ex2000

24. Alex_de_Large

Alex_de_Large 1,000+ Posts

Colt 6'? Nope. He was their post player when they made the state championship game in 2A basketball.

25. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

26. texas_ex2000

Excuse me...he was 73" (6'1") when he was measured at the NFL combine. I'm sure that was his height when he got here as an 18 year old and played in the 2A basketball championship. He must have towered over everyone else in that game.

27. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

28. Alex_de_Large

Alex_de_Large 1,000+ Posts

So Shipley and Quan were nobodys. Got it.

29. texas_ex2000

30. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Pro potential isn't the best measure of college talent. As mentioned, Quan and Shipley were great college players, regardless of what happened to them in the NFL.