iPad 2

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by TNLonghorn, Mar 3, 2011.

1. TNLonghorn

TNLonghorn 500+ Posts

So, I was checking out the new iPad 2 and noticed you now have the option to pick between AT&T or Verizon (if you pick the one that has 3G service). I already have AT&T for my iPhone, but I was wondering which carrier would provide the best coverage for the iPad. Anybody know or have any insight?

Thanks and [​IMG]

2. KazooMan

KazooMan 250+ Posts

It all depends on which outfit has the cell phone towers where you are planning on using your new toy. If Verizon has better coverage, then go with Verizon (and they share towers with Sprint). If AT&T has better coverage, go with them. If you are happy with the iPhone signal you are getting, then AT&T is doing an OK job for that area.

There are some better long term solutions coming (boxes on telephone poles), but right now tower coverage is what counts.

As for testing signal strength, here is The]The Link that will show you how to test for various devices.

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Agree with Kazoo - it's the same 3G signal on both devices so if you're OK with AT&T on the iPhone you should be fine with them for the iPad.

I have the original iPad and don't have a need to upgrade, but damn, Apple's running away with the tablet segment. For now, anyway, but the competitors have a lot of ground to cover. The next couple of years will be very interesting for this market.

4. TNLonghorn

TNLonghorn 500+ Posts

I've been wanting to get an iPad really bad for the past 5-6 months, but I've been holding out for the new one. It looks really sweet and I love the new features and processor. I will finally get it now.
    Thanks for the insight on the 3G!

5. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

I laugh at some of the analysts comparing iPad 2 hardware specs to those of its competitors. First of all, it compares very nicely. Second of all, it doesn't matter that much. The iPad is more so about the high quality apps available (now iMovie and Garage Band) and integration into the formidable Apple ecosystem. No competitor comes close to matching that and has no prospect to get there. Also, how many consumers are going to go to the effort to sort out the fragmented competitors vs. an iPad? Not very many because it won't take long before they just say screw it and buy an iPad because it will be very difficult to be wrong about that decision. Apple will dominate table computers for the foreseeable future and the halo will continue to grow.

To the original question, you have good answers already. However, something to ask yourself is whether you need 3G service for an iPad at all. For those times when you are away from WiFi, will your iPhone suffice?

This writer does a better job explaining than me.

6. utmck

utmck 500+ Posts

Who is he best competitor right now?

7. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

8. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

9. rreading

rreading 100+ Posts

Just another opinion, and I currently have an iphone and a 3g iPad. I'm planning to use my iphone next week as my wifi for my ipad rather than paying for two data plans. If I do end up with a ipad 2, it will be simply wifi.

fwiw

10. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

Apparently there is a problem with the hotspot feature on the Verizon iphone where if you get a phone call it cuts off your internet access.

Might want to check that out. Also costs $20/month.

11. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

12. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

13. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

14. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

More on the complete hype that is 4G.
    This is why the iPhone, iPad, and others don't support 4G. Because 4G doesn't exist in the network, but only in the eyes of carriers' advertising departments.