iPhone vs. iPhone competitors

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by numbereleven, Dec 3, 2007.

1. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

So I farted around with my brother's iPhone, and thought it was pretty sweet. The monthly fee is reasonable, but the $399 sticker about knocked me over because I'll have to buy two.

Various people have told me that most of AT&T's competitors have great web-enabled phones hitting the market. I haven't seen one that looks fantastic, but I'm not a big techie so what do I know.

Here's what I'd like to be able to do:

1. Easily access and interact with my e-mail, Hornfans, etc. whenever I want to.

2. Watch video, like youtube or highlights on ESPN.com.

3. Obviously, use it as a phone.

Can anyone suggest some good phones? Links would be most helpful. Or if the iPhone is just the best bet, that's OK too. Thanks.

2. vy til i die

vy til i die 100+ Posts

currently on the iphone you can't watch video on sites like espn (flash?)

that said, safari on the iphone is spectacular.

3. TxArch

TxArch 250+ Posts

I'll answer your questions in order, according to what's available right now:

1. the iphone has email at the touch of a button. the graphical internet display is as close to a personal computer as any phone can be. hornfans actually loads faster on my iphone using EDGE (nevermind wi-fi) than on my pc.

2. iphone does not support java or flash. meaning, you cannot go to youtube.com or espn and watch their embedded videos. however, it does run a special version of youtube (H.264) straight from the home menu that most youtube videos are being converted to. this is the main drawback of the iphone.

3. the phone part is good, contacts organization and all that is good.

Currently, I don't see any phone on the market that describes what you want better than an iphone, and I'm not just saying that because I own one. It basically came down to this for me & my girlfriend: she had her heart set on a blackberry pearl for 6 months. She finally got it. I showed her the internet on the Pearl. I showed her the internet on the iphone. She promptly returned the pearl & got an iphone. There's just no comparison really. My brother just got a moto q and it feels like a model T compared to the ferrari that is the iphone. I am by no means an apply fanboy, I run windows in all other aspects. Google & Dell might have 'iphone killer' phones coming out within the next 8 months, but by then there will probably be an iPhone2.

Oh yeah, the $400 sucks, I agree. But it's the best money I've spent after HDTV. If you're on another network, AT&T will give you $50 to port your number over.

4. rhg84

rhg84 250+ Posts

if you can hold off i would on the iphones. I know technology is always moving and there will always be something newer and better coming out, but i would definitely wait until the updated iphones with 3g come out next year. Lack of 3g is really a big miss on apples part

5. numbereleven

numbereleven 250+ Posts

6. YChang

YChang 500+ Posts

man...I didn't know about the 3g iphone coming out soon...@#$@# and I just bought mine last month. I hope flash/java support is also included.

7. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

My guess is soon = 6-8 months.

The thing that I find most annoying about the iphone is the inability to manually manage music on it (no direct drag/drop from itunes; must sync instead).

Second most annoying is no external indicator (LED) for missed call/voice mail. It's not like I get any calls, though, so I don't miss that too much.

8. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

check out the Voyager from LG on Verizon

9. evil horn

evil horn 100+ Posts

I remember hearing a story that there's always a thing in January where Apple makes announcements... so the next generation might be announced as soon as then (for February ship).

10. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

macworld sf is in january but the rumors so far don't have a 3g iphone showing up there.

11. TxArch

TxArch 250+ Posts

From the research I did 2 months ago before purchasing my iphone, I don't think the iPhone2 is coming out any sooner than next summer. For pretty good rumor gathering, check out gizmodo.com

12. Superfan

Superfan 250+ Posts

13. TxArch

TxArch 250+ Posts

^ oh man, that was funny. delusional, but funny.

14. vy til i die

vy til i die 100+ Posts

maddox teh rulz.