Ironic Part is That When the Defense Gets a

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Namewithheld, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

turnover...interception/blocked punt/fumble recovery....they NEED TO SCORE SINCE THE OFFENSE CAN'T FIND IT'S *** WITH BOTH HANDS!!!!! How many times this year has the defense/special teams forced a turnover ONLY to have the offense either turn it into a field goal/punt/turnover right back!

Freaking sorry excuse for a "coached" team! [​IMG]

2. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

Well considering we are 11th in the Big 12 in takeaways, not all that often.

3. Lancehorn

Lancehorn 250+ Posts

Right on Cue, Yoladu is here to defend both Greg Davis and Obama and any other incumbant that tries to convince you the **** you are smelling is pudding.

4. UTViking

UTViking 250+ Posts

Numerous times has this team been on the cusp of finding its own *** only to be told that it was really just a hole in the ground.

I'm really happy the season is over, which is just sad & pathetic.

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Right on cue, someone jumps in to assume that anything negative towards the defense must be a defense of something about the offense.

Our D, as usual against a team with a pulse, had no takeaways at all. Our special teams had 1 as well as a blocked punt (any ST coach running that 8-3-1 punt formation is a MORON), and A&M freely handed us 1 unforced turnover that we still almost managed to completely botch b/c we tried to pick up a wobbling bounce on the run instead of falling on the ball.

6. Horn-N-LA

Horn-N-LA 1,000+ Posts

7. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

8. Lancehorn

Lancehorn 250+ Posts

9. crizistre

crizistre 500+ Posts

Last night it was so obvious. Among all the problems with the team, the #1 problem is Garrett Gilbert. And he's a major problem. He either 1)underthrows 2)overthrows 3)throws behind or 4)throws above the receivers at least 50% of the time. How many times do you see a receiver on a dropped or missed pass "twisting" in some convoluted position?

You absolutely can not blame the defense for a damn thing last night. Aggy was held to 4/15 on third down. 0 turnovers last night would have led to a miniumum of 6 more points and possibly 17 less for aggy. The score easily could have been 35-7.

Gilbert is the skill-less version of Chris Simms.

The second biggest problem with the team right now is Mack Brown. The man is too stubborn for his own good. When you watch aggy and how their OL opens up gashing holes, how can it not be obvious that Texas needs a new offensive approach?? What is it going to take for Mack Brown to get a damn clue?

10. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

All I know is that our offense turned the ball over twice in the aggie red zone. [​IMG]

And it turned it over once in our own red zone, leading to a 12 yard (or so) aggie td drive; and it turned it over at our 40, our defense holds them to a field goal. [​IMG]

Our turnovers cost us points, at least 6, and gave them 10 points.

Our D gave up two big runs, 14 points; and a long drive for a field goal.

Our D gets 3 turnovers last night, I think.

Our offense isn't very good, and its not well coached. That is a lethal combination.

11. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

Indeed, after last night it became more obvious to me that GG is a big part of the problem. But the OL didn't do hI'm any favors this season.

Substitute Colt in there last night and this game is a W

12. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Redzone offense has killed Texas this year. I blame it on the lack of a real running game. But also on Gilbert's inability to read and see the entire field. When things are bunched up he just can't seem to find the open guy or scan the entire field. He often waits too long and then throws an INT. For some reason the coaches haven't called any of those fade routes either that allow the QB to just make the throw and not really think. We have a couple really tall WRs and I don't understand why they don't run those plays...ala the ones they ran when Sweed was here.

Texas offensive redzone stats:
    Red zone scores = 79% (41/52)
    Red zone TDs = 44% (23/52)

Opponents redzone stats:
    Red zone scores = 80% (28/35)
    Red zone TDs = 66% (23/35)

Other key stats where Texas is underperforming:
    - 17 INTs thrown vs. 8 INTs made

13. geezerhorn

geezerhorn 1,000+ Posts

14. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

15. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

16. homerX

homerX 100+ Posts

17. RCS

RCS 25+ Posts

18. REHorn

REHorn < 25 Posts

I think RCS is correct. Have you ever seen a quarterback who is constantly running for his life have any consistant accuracy? The biggest (but not the only) problem for the O is the offensive line. I too saw several occasions when they seemed to be flying through the air having been tossed aside by an ag d-lineman.
    I don't really blame GG for having happy feet because our o-line is beaten so often that, even when they do manage to hold their blocks, he has to expect that someone is going to break through and hammer him.

19. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

Blaming one side of the ball over the other for this team's performance this year is an exercise in futility. All phases of the game were poor (certainly by Texas standards). I don't care who was most at fault. Just fix it! All of it!! Now!!!

20. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

21. goredho

goredho 100+ Posts

Oh, the offense can find its *** with both hands, usually to present itself in a goatse pose for the opposing team.

22. UTAustin92

UTAustin92 250+ Posts

23. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

24. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Hopefully both GD and Obama will be history and nothing more than a bad memory soon enough.

25. couchman

couchman 25+ Posts

Please take all of the politics to the board where it belongs and keep this a football board.

I agree that our problems start on both sides of the line.

26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

27. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

In 2006 we actually pass blocked pretty well, which is one reason Colt looked a lot better as a freshman than a sophomore (the other being we had no go-to WR in 2007 once Sweed got injured).