Is 7th grade too early to scout

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Hornoholic, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Hornoholic

Hornoholic 25+ Posts

I don't really post this kind of stuff but here goes anyway...

Just got back from the Tyler ISD Middle School Track meet and I have some numbers that are pretty astronomical.

There was a 12 year old 7th grader who won the 100, 200, Long Jump, and Triple Jump. Big deal you say? Here's the times/distances.

100 - 10.7
    200 - 22.36
    Long Jump - 18' 9 1/2
    Triple Jump - 39' 1 1/2"

He was also the anchor on the 400m relay that posted a time of 47.94. That was almost 5 seconds faster than 2nd place (52.26).

His name is L.Wallace. I don't know what the L stands for, but it's definitely not 'Last'.

I've also seen him play football. Where ever they are on the field they just hand him the ball and he pretty much scores. I'm not exaggerating.

Am I over reacting? Probably. Just thought I'd share with you.

2. nosoupforyou28

nosoupforyou28 25+ Posts

It's probably too late to scout.

I bet USC's already offered this kid a Hummer from the Song Girls and a pretty nice car too.

3. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

Those are truly some sick numbers for a 12 year old.

4. Texoz

Texoz 1,000+ Posts

I'm just relieved that this was never a post on the 3:16 board.

5. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Not if you're a pedophile.

6. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Pete Carroll, this means you!

7. LonghornSS

LonghornSS 100+ Posts

How big are his forearms?

8. Booyakasha!

Booyakasha! Guest

How tall is he? Some of these kids mature early and once they get to be 18, their legs are too short to keep up.

9. UTeric32

UTeric32 500+ Posts

10. Hornoholic

Hornoholic 25+ Posts

11. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd 100+ Posts

Those track times are not gonna get any slower unless he totally chunks out. Sounds to me like a phenom, but whether it will be track or football remains to be seen.

12. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

I played with a guy that was 6' 220" in junior high. Unbelievable. Looked like Herschel Walker. He didnt' seem to grow any in high school, but he didnt' really need to.

Genetics is a big part for sure.

10.7 in high school would be smoking. Hell, half of our skill guys likely couldn't run that.

One to keep an eye on for sure.

13. Black Ninja

Black Ninja 500+ Posts

Known a ton of people that "sprouted" up early and dominated in Jr. High only to stay that exact size and do NOTHING worth noting on the HS level.

14. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

My 8th grader is 6'2", 217 lbs, and wears a 13 4E shoe. He plays DE and OL and never leaves the field. He's going to Longhorn football camp this summer. I've already told him to be sure and stand up straight, and make sure every coach he works with knows his name, so that someday, he can go to the camp where he is invited to attend. I'm going to have 2 in college at the same time. Am I pimping him a little? Damn straight. He says he hopes Mack is still around when he gets done with high school. I'm a little better at building self esteem than my dad was. So my point is that parents are now having to start thinking about scholarships with the kids going into high school, particularly if they don't attend one of the big name H schools. It's harder for a kid on a 3A team that isn't the cream of the district to get attention. So the whole process is starting earlier than it ever did before. I think Mack is one of the reasons since he was one of the pioneers in early recruiting. When I was in high school, no one had been offered in their junior year. The whole timetable is moving backwards. I've heard there are even people who specialize in packaging your kid with video and high quality printed bios, and such. I don't feel real comfortable with the idea of marketing my kid. That does start to look like pimping; like 4 yo girls in pagents.

15. PacSER

PacSER 500+ Posts

Yes, do NOT hire those services for your child. Waste of time and a ripoff.

16. hornsdude94

hornsdude94 < 25 Posts

I'm in seventh grade and our running back runs an 11flat 100, 4.7 40, and goes for about 25 per on the basketball court. He's only bout 5'5" or 5'6" and I 'd say hes gonna grow.

17. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

We had a guy like that in Jr. high; he was already 5'9". I remember our high school fb coach telling me that I would be bigger / better than him in high school. I thought the coach had lost his marbles, but as it turned out, being better than that guy wasn't nearly so difficult as I thought.

18. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Am I the only one who noted the date of the post?

C'mon guys...

hook, line and sinker

19. Hornoholic

Hornoholic 25+ Posts

20. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

No sir.

Ain't no way on God's green earth a 12 year old is going to run a 100 meter split that would place him in the finals of the UIL state meet in 5A.

But I could be wrong...

What stadium was the meet held at...and tell me what Tyler middle school he competes for and maybe I can help you find a link. [​IMG]

21. Hornoholic

Hornoholic 25+ Posts

The meet was at Rose Stadium and he ran for Hogg Middle School

22. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Thank you. He's on the Hogg 7th grade basketball team, as you can imagine.

LaQuintas Wallace is real, but I don't believe he is 12. National Youth Elite site has a 2007 200 meter time for him at 23.60 in the 13-14 year old group.

That's an amazing time and ranks in the top 70 in US records that age group.

I emailed the Tyler Morning Telegraph to get confimation on the 10.7 time on the 100 meters.

If true, I believe it would be the fastest ever run by a kid that age, per the National Youth Elite records.

23. Hornoholic

Hornoholic 25+ Posts

24. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I'm betting Mack already has a nice prospect list for the 2014 class...if you're waiting until the seventh grade to start scouting 'em, you're a year or two behind the learning curve. Wonder if Stoops has been seen in Tyler lately?