Is Covid Really a Factor?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by KBBAKER, Aug 31, 2021.

1. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

As a long-time season ticket holder with extra/unused tickets, I have noticed that the bottom has fallen out of the market for the Louisiana game. You can't give tickets away for less than half of face value! Early summer sales were decent, but the market is now flooded with tickets. I assume the threat/fear of Covid is real. It isn't to me, but it may be for many "older" fans. I know Louisiana is not a household name, but they are ranked! I thought the excitement surrounding Sark, and the fact that Herman is finally gone what result in a packed house. Maybe Labor Day Weekend has something to do with it? Maybe the heat?

Obviously, the Texas fanbase has been beaten down for over a decade (by poor coaching and poor play). Sustained winning and/or an SEC schedule may be the only cure for the current level of apathy. Just an observation.

Watching "05" last night reminded me just how long it's been since we were good and exciting to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  2. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Without getting into the politics because we sure as hell don't need another thread with people taking pot shots at each other over this issue the short and clear answer to your question is yes, yes it absolutely is.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

I definitely don't want to start a political debate! I'm just shocked that half of an "outdoor" stadium may be empty. I guess it does look good in High Definition from the couch!

4. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

I fervently hope everyone keeps that in mind, but I'm not optimistic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

I have a much greater fear of the 3:30pm kick time.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

You don't want to get vaccinated, that's your business. You want to be vaccinated, that's your business as well. Personally, I don't give a **** what others do. My family and I have been vaccinated and that's my business, no one else's. But this is a sports forum and should be left that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  7. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Nothing ruins friendships as much as opposing views on
    1. Politics
    2. Religion
    3. How to raise your children

And- I have strong opinions on all above. I’m happy we seemed to have learned to stay away from those topics.
    This isn’t me on a high horse, I was vocal about my opinion last year and it occurred to me that the chances of my excellence in writing (sorry Moon) , that no one is going to change their minds based upon my post on HornFans. All I could accomplish is to alienate like minded Horn folks that I enjoy ‘speaking’ with. I did so, and I regret that.
    This site is my only social media outlet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I’d love to go if I didn’t have a four day grandchildren (as in a 3 YO and 8 month old) babysitting appointment.
    Blame the wife on this this one…. “Honey, that’s opening weekend”…I was told I didn’t have to go.
    That gents is what I refer to as a trap door. You single or newlywed for less than a week will soon understand soon.
    I’ll get the game in between Fancy Nancy and Puppy Pals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

I don't see how covid could NOT be a factor. Some people who would normally go to football games are scared of it and will therefore stay away from the stadium. But it's not the only reason. You've hit the other factor too - fans are beaten down for over a decade (by poor coaching and poor play) so they want to see improvement before shelling out cash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I have to work on Saturday. We are burying a covid case. So my personal anecdotal answer is "yes".

11. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i'm sure it's A factor. don't know how much of one it is.

new coach (wait n see)
    holiday weekend
    covid cases increasing
    UL isn't a big name

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I gave my tickets to a friend in Austin because I tested positive yesterday for covid 4-5 months after being fully vaccinated. For me it was a bad cold over the weekend. I don’t see how half the country won’t be exposed by next Spring due to delta (vaccinated or not).

13. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

A reasonable and sensible question, Baker.
    I'm w you...this is a very appealing game 1 of the season and it is reasonable to question potential lower attendance.
    I believe it is also reasonable to assume covid is a factor for many choosing not to attend.
    For me personally, covid has had 0 affect on my participating in activities and events I desire to take part in (other than those unavailable or with too high demands placed on attendees) and this game would he no different if I were free to attend this weekend.
    Now hook 'em
    :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

All of this I think and "new coach" fan fatigue

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

While I do believe that there is a Covid factor, I also think that the start time is ill-advised. TV revenue should take a back seat to player and fan safety.

For me the issue — aside from the fact that I reside 1200 miles to the West — is the heat. After LSU a few years ago (obviously a night game during which I drank a ton of liquids) I came to the conclusion that I simply cannot handle the heat and will probably not attend another September game unless there is unusually mild weather.

The game itself is certainly attractive, and intriguing. It “should” attract a full house.

• Like Like x 4
  16. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Went to all games last year and I’m an ‘older’ folk. Going this week but super pissed about the start time and if I did not have access to the Terrace Club AC if it gets unbearable I would not be going. Really, I mean really, makes me angry CDC couldn’t petition for a better start time.

• Like Like x 1
  17. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Start time is 11:00am? How am I supposed to tailgate damnit?!?!
    Start time is 3:30? It's to ******* hot. What the hell?!?!
    *****, *****, *****. ;)

A poker friend, 40ish in good health contractor, just came out of a month long coma on a ventilator. He is a changed man.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  18. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I suspect that it is a much greater trio of factors related to the holiday weekend, heat on a September afternoon, and residual ill-feelings over some of the wokeness that plagued sports in recent memory. Being ULa doesn't help matters...

I guess I am a little surprised we have not seen Godzirramegatron volume blamed yet though...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Covid is and will be a factor the entire season. For players and fans. We'll be lucky if we only have to forfeit one game. And even though symptoms are generally reduced with delta if you've been vaxxed, the viral load is not much different from a non-vaxxed or vaxxed break through infection. The winners will be the ones that best protect their star players. Not easy with 18-22 year olds. Once school gets back in full swing, I don't see how cases don't explode even more. Just look at the public high schools. Getting cancellations left and right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BLucky

BLucky 250+ Posts

Speaking for myself, you hit the nail on the head, each one of those apply to me. But I will add, my wife and I have been planning a trip for three years now. It was delayed from last year. I have to take a Covid test for the location we're going to. I don't want to risk missing that trip for anything. The first few games for us will be on TV.

• Like Like x 2
  21. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

Considering going to Morgantown this November. Have tried several years but life gets in the way. Plan on getting to DKR once or twice this season. No vax, natural immunity from a mild case back in Jan. Antibodies test was good last week.
    Looking forward to all day game day tomorrow into the evening. UK, UT, and my youngests alma mater TTU. Wings, Yuengling, and Jack. Gonna be a great day

Be safe, take precautions, stay healthy and F Covid.

• Like Like x 1
  22. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

Had my first couple of Yuenglings last night. The lager was kinda meh, tasted like weak Shiner Bock. The Flight was pretty good. But I'll just stick with my Dogfish Head from now on...

• Like Like x 1
  23. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

Yeah, I’ve been looking forward to its availability in Texas. Previously just an airport bar tap beer. I enjoy it, especially while it’s new. I buy the Independence Texas Native when I run across it at HEB.

24. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

All of the above factors, plus the cost of it all anymore. Tickets, donations, parking, horrid prices for food and drinks. Or watch it at home, for free, on your super big screen.

I think the Wuhan killed movie theaters, who were already on borrowed time compared to watching things at home for far less money, and hassle of people talking, fooling with their phones, etc.

Will it also put the knife in sports, which have had no feedback loop for years in terms of fan pushback on prices, ads all over the stadium play, super loud Ad-zillatron ads, 4 hour games, and generally whininess and unlikability on the part of a large number of athletes?