is it better to have a ceo-type coach or a guru

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by tamster, Dec 18, 2013.

1. tamster

tamster 500+ Posts

First of all, I remember after my freshman year at UT when Mackovic was let go and all of the excitement that came to campus with Coach Brown's arrival. It was a great time the following year with Ricky winning the Heisman and Texas starting to emerge on the national scene again. I even started going to the austin360.com boards and hookem.com because I could not get enough about the program and what the new coach was doing/recruiting.

However, I've often wondered what Coach Brown's expertise beyond recruiting and networking (which are nothing ot sneeze at) was. There are coaches like Saban, Dantonio, Strong, Muschamp, Stoops etc that are experts on defense. There are coaches like Sumlin, Urban Meyer, Jimbo Fisher, etc that are experts on offense.

I didn't quite know where Coach Brown fit into that. He was very good at delegating to his coordinators and concentrated mainly on managing the public perception of the program. I know he had a background on the offensive side of things as a running back in college for FSU, and being a WR positions coach and even offensive coordinator as he worked his way to becoming a head coach. However, did he really put his stamp on the offense? I would venture to say that he did not; Same with the defense.

So, my question is this: Is it better to have a head coach that is a true expert/guru in his field or a CEO-type coach like Coach Brown? Would welcome your thoughts.

I'm thinking we ideally would want both. With the turnover of assistant coaches that you see at successful programs, isn't it better to have some type of identity that is always consistent (assuming your head coach stays)? Sure there are long term assistant coaches like Chavis at LSU and we had Greg Davis for some time (for better or worse), but nowadays, it seems every successful young assistant coach gets his own gig after some time.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but would appreciate comments/thoughts vis a vis the candidates that are under consideration if possible.

hook 'em!

2. fore!

fore! 25+ Posts

guru. sorry to ramble [​IMG]

3. HornsinHutto

HornsinHutto 100+ Posts

If you are going to be a CEO you need to have THE BEST coordinators. And u have to let them do their jobs.

I'd rather have a defensive guru who has the best OC in the biz.

4. tamster

tamster 500+ Posts

Forgot to say that I also prefer a defensive expert b/c, as they say, defense wins championships!

I think the offensive experts/gurus flame out eventually (leach, mackovic, jeff tedford, etc) mainly because of their egos.

5. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Why not Co-HC? Chad Morris and Kirby Smart? Charlie Strong and David Shaw? The Gurus.

With Mack as face of the franchise but not going on field. Designated CEO.

What is a few more million among friends?

Just thinking outside the box. Being innovative. Changing the game.

6. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Give me a stud football coach as my head FOOTBALL coach...period. Of course I mean an ethical, moralistic man, but other than that I don't care an ounce if he lets every word be spoken in his actions on Saturdays and not behind a mic.

Jimmy Johnson, Parcells (yes he has much college experience), Saban, and other hard nosed coaches alike don't give a damn what the public thinks of their decisions. They do exactly what they think is the best move to win football games. All 3 are champions and well-respected and there are many more like them. None were much for public speaking or candying things up to sound all PC. They were football coaches to the bone and won championships because they stuck to their guns of what they believed in to win on the field.

You've got a President and AD to do all that other hand shaking, rubbing shoulders with fat rich dude bs. The head football coach has one main job and that is to win each game. Playing politics to a point where it hurts your production...those are guys who forgot where they came from and what it was like bleeding on the field. I've just had it with all this other nonsense. It's been 3-4 years now of hearing WORDS and promises with little actions. Now it's a new AD who to me isn't fitting, executive search committee, rumors, etc. Get off your sorry corporate asses and get something done like real men, like the ones you endanger on the field every week.

Sorry about the frustration, but between Texas and Dallas the last 3 seasons, it's almost impossible to contain anymore. It's like a Groundhog Day of Charlie Brown and the football. Over and over and over, just when we approach the ball they yank it away and we fall on our asses in front of the country. Oh what it would be like to be a fair-weather fan right now, the timing could not be any riper. And to my own detriment it's just not in my DNA.

7. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

there is nothing wrong with expecting a coach to play both parts.

the HC of a major program like texas has to be a CEO whether he wants to or not.

hate to use saban as an example, but he's a good one. there's probably no element of the program that he doesnt manage heavily, but he also trusts his coordinators to do their job...his background is coaching DBs, so he's also out coaching DBs during practice.

the right coach should be expected to do both.

8. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

9. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

BRAD - your post was spot-on.

Maybe a year or so ago, someone on this Board (can't remember who) made a great point about the best coaches having a their own "system" - be it offensive, defensive, or both - and recruiting players to fit within that system. His point was that Mack didn't consistenly have one and, therefore, produced little consistency on either side of the ball. I know I'm not wording this well enough to convey the guy's post but, hopefully, you get the original meaning. [​IMG]

Anyway, a guru guy is who I'd like us to get.

10. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

CEO = Dallas Cowboys and Jerry Jones, it is all about the money. No thanks. He has his rings and he doesn't seem to be seriously interested in winning, even though he says he is. Texas has become that way, all about the money. They got their ring in 2005, life is good. I want someone to come in as a coaching guru.

11. moosehorn

moosehorn 25+ Posts

For us, right now, guru. The culture needs changing. Mack will still be here and can handle the heavy-hitting PR and political chores.