Is it time to take the Hornets seriously yet?

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by idigTexas, Jan 26, 2008.

1. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

They've been lurking around the top of the West all season. They currently have the second best winning percentage in the league, behind only the Celtics. They've played well within the division, within the conference, at home, and especially on the road.

Most expected the Suns, Spurs, Mavs, and Nuggets to be there. The Lakers and Blazers have certainly opened some eyes. I think the Blazers have probably been the most surprising, but the Hornets are playing at the highest level, and I don't know anyone who expected them to contend. Can they keep it up all season, or will the fade at some point?

2. capitalcity

capitalcity 100+ Posts

no.

but, seriously... no.

3. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

Huge game tonight in San Antonio.

4. wright11

wright11 25+ Posts

they need more depth on the bench, but they're on the verge. Chris Paul is probably the 3rd best PG in the league even at his age

5. CadetHorn

CadetHorn 250+ Posts

They've impressed me thus far....but the season doesn't start till march.

6. Nolalonghorn16

7. DJDJAJGJ

DJDJAJGJ 250+ Posts

They were supposed to make the playoffs 2 years ago, and they were supposed to make it last year. Both times their season was derailed due to injury.

It's very simple, if they stay healthy, they will make it and they'll be a very tough team to beat.

8. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

If they stay healthy I would say yes.

9. Nolalonghorn16

At the risk of jinxing this game, 93-70 with under 5 to play [​IMG]

10. warrior

warrior 2,500+ Posts

Young Hornets 102 aging Spurs 78 in S.A.

11. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

hilarious sig DJ.

oh, and the season doesn't start till mid april. not march.

12. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

13. Nolalonghorn16

The Spurs were in the midst of a 12 game winning streak before the all star break last season, the Heat were 11-2 in their previous 13 leading up to the all star game in 2006, Spurs were 12-3 their previous 15 leading up to the all star game in 2005. I'm not saying the Hornets are going to make a deep playoff run, just that the argument that the "hot" team before the all star break never wins a title is a load of crap.

14. unpaintedhuffhines

I should have clarified. When I said "hot" I was referencing more of the "media darling" aspect. Not wins/losses, rather the team that everyone is talking about unexpectedly.

in recent years teams like Memphis (with Hubie as coach), Chicago, Clippers have had some attention early on due to some success but ultimately weren't built for the playoffs

15. Nolalonghorn16

When was the last time Memphis, Chicago, or the Clippers had the best record in the West after 43 games as well as the best road record in the conference? I'm not arguing that the Hornets will win it all or even advance all that far in the playoffs, but to call them "media darlings" ignores both their on court performance and the fact that they are far from media darlings (1 freaking national television appearance all year).

16. idigTexas

idigTexas 1,000+ Posts

I haven't heard the media pimp the Hornets all year, though I haven't been watching a lot of NBA coverage other than what ESPN spews. That could change, as the early media darlings, the Celtics, Blazers, and Lakers, have all slid a bit lately. That being said, the Cavs are on the move, and they are starting to get a lot of pub. I think the Hornets have been under the radar thus far, as if the media is expecting them to collapse any day now.

17. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

Definitely under the radar. They've been lurking in the standings all year, and all of a sudden poof they're on top. But the top teams are so closely bunched - hell, the Lakers started the day 6th in the West but were only 3 games out - the Hornets could lose a couple in a row and then they're back in the pack. In fact they play Denver and GS at home this week and then go on the road to play the Kings, Jazz and Suns. They could swap place with the Lakers this time next week.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

18. DKR777

DKR777 250+ Posts

I was at that game last night, and the Hornets -- while good -- strike me as a team that will fizzle in the first round. They can be had. Not enough depth. Not enough experience. David West, though very good, isn't going to knock down enough 20-foot jumpers to win a seven-game series against a really good team.

Chris Paul is awesome, though.

19. unpaintedhuffhines

jesus christ people. I'm not saying the media is in love with them, it was a figure of ******* speech.

Yes, they have gotten a lot of well deserved run for being a young, unexpected front runner in the west. They're not getting over hyped, I didn't say that. They are simply a good story so far this year and the media does talk about it a lot. I've been in bed 2 of the last 3 weeks with the flu and hve watched more ******* tv during that stretch that I care to admit.

with that said, I'll say it again, they are not built for the playoffs

20. TJ=NPOY

TJ=NPOY 100+ Posts

I think they can win the west so yes you better take them seriously. They have a great pg, two very good 3 pt guys, a very underrated front line in their starting five. They will be a tough out in may/june.

21. unpaintedhuffhines

you need a better than average bench to go deep in the playoffs

this will be their achilles heel in the long run

22. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

The short answer to the question is "Yes".

23. Nolalonghorn16

The Hornets are the second team in NBA history to win seven straight by 14+. The other team: 2003-2004 Detroit Pistons.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

24. unpaintedhuffhines

those two teams couldn't be any more different from each other