Is Jefferson gone?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by old65horn, Dec 29, 2017.

1. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Any chance he comes back?

That would be like Ricky Williams coming back for his senior year.

2. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i don't think so

3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

With pass coverage being his weakness (he has not shown any ability to drop into pass coverage), he is a real draft wild card. Might go first round on potential or could drop to second or third on proven ability. Remember he is just one season removed from being benched by Strong.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  4. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

1st-3rd round grade i would go

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

No disrespect to Malik but Anthony Wheeler and Gary Johnson worked the LB spot pretty damn well against Mizzou

• Like Like x 6
  6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Selfishly I’d like to see him return. To be candid, Jefferson never lived up to the hype. Perhaps he would next year, or perhaps he will at the next level. As of now I see him as a 3rd rounder if he declares.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

I think he has much left to prove, and can build his stock with another year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Malik is an easier choice than DeShon who I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes undrafted. Jefferson will get picked by third round and it’s hard to pass on a years worth of earnings that you will never get back. That said I would love for him to stay I just can’t ever begrudge kid getting paid in football with no guaranteed contracts and one injury away from unemployment.

9. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

He could get an insurance policy. A guy I knew at okie state got insurance for his senior and came back. The extra year helped him go 1st round.

10. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

11. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Malik leaving is a win-win for our defense and Malik.

• Like Like x 2
  12. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 2
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

:hookem2:

Thank you, Mr Jefferson!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Paul S. Nichols

Paul S. Nichols 25+ Posts

God Bless Malik Jefferson and his family...what a class act he has been through the good and the bad...his leadership contribution to the future of Longhorn football cannot be overstated.

He set a standard for scholarship, commitment and leadership I would wish each of our future recruits would exemplify.

Young men like him do not just happen, he must have some incredible parents.

Hope all his dreams come true for his future.

All the best & Hook'em

Paul S. Nichols

• Like Like x 2
  15. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Disappointed to see him leave but i wish all the best in the NFL!! :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  16. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Hate to lose him. I believe he would have had a great senior year. Good luck to MJ and I hope he has a long prosperous career.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

He's been a great ambassador for Texas and a hard worker, too. I wish he would stay but I respect his decision. Thanks for your hard work and good luck at the next level MJ.

:hookem:

• Like Like x 4
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  19. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

Best of luck to a great young man :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  20. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

21. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

His legacy will be akin to Ed Cunningham or Eric Metcalf.

Standout player on mediocre teams.

• Like Like x 1
  22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

My memory is that Metcalf was something else. I'm not sure if Malik is in his class. But I hear you.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Metcalf WAS something else. No disrespect intended to Eric at all. But the reality is that he is not often mentioned among the great players at Texas because his teams were so damned forgettable.

• Like Like x 2
  24. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Most mock drafts I have seen have him late first round, he is going to make some team very happy with a late first round pick.

25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

FW, very happy or very pissed. Jefferson has shown no signs of being able to drop back into coverage after a read. No so bad in college ball, but very important in pro ball. With the right LB coach he can be something special in the pros. However, he is a long way from DJ's ability when DJ went pro.

• Like Like x 4
  26. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Viper, he is definitely not DJ and I am not even sure he is Hicks who except for still getting injured all the time is incredible when he makes it on to the field, but Jefferson is very solid and very capable and can fill that position for several years on an NFL roster which is what any team with a late first round pick wants, a starter with staying power.

27. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

My view is that some are leaving because Tom is not Charlie, but, I feel it's the same as Augie was not Gus........

28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I'm not even sure he's Peter Jinkens.

• Like Like x 3
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts