Is my puppy ok?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Gadfly, May 19, 2006.

1. Gadfly

Gadfly 250+ Posts

We got a miniature schnauzer last week (5 weeks old then) and brought her to the vet. Everything checked out good (she was 1.25 lbs).

She has never had a real appetite, and we never really forced her to eat. For about two days now she just hasn't been eating or drinking - acting real lethargic. Today she could barely stand and seemed really spaced out. I did my internet searching and suspected hypoglycemia, so I got her some Nutircal. She seemed to perk up a little and she started drinking again. I took her to our vet who also suspected hypoglycemia, and we've been squirting sugar water in her mouth.

I'm still worried because any food we put in her mouth, she is just spitting out. The vet gave us "highly palatable" food, but she's not eating that either.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this, and maybe I'm just being impatient. It seems like she should be up and about now, but she is only waking up to use the bathroom. We are trying to let her rest as much as possible.

She weighed in today at only one pound, so she's lost some weight.

2. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

No, I don't think she is OK. I would take her to another vet. I don't know anything about your vet, but take the pup to an office with mulitple vets. Usually vets in larger offices have specialization in different areas. This is nothing against your vet; sometimes you need a larger pool of experience.

3. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

I hope your puppy is doing better, but for the future, five weeks is too young to take a puppy away from its mother. Is she still available for nursing, socialization, etc?

4. Gadfly

Gadfly 250+ Posts

I think you may be right about the vet. She has started crying non stop. It's really breaking my heart.

5. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

Oh man, that is heartbreaking. I would take the pup to the vet first thing in the morning. Hell, we'd probably take ours to the EC, right now. I can't speak for you, but I've never fretted over money spent at a Pet EC. Even if it was deemed an unnecessary visit. Better safe than sorry, piece of mind and all that stuff.

Hope everything turns out ok for the little one. Please keep us posted.

6. I agree. If you are in Austin and need a number to a 24 hour facility, pm me and I will give you the one I have for my dog. It is up off of 183. I am sad for you and the pup. [​IMG]

Please keep us posted.

7. Gadfly

Gadfly 250+ Posts

I should have checked the thread again last night. I'm not sure if this should be deleted or not.

Her name was Shiro, and damn me for whatever I did wrong. I would have paid anything. I am so naive.

Puppies are so fragile. I've had several, but none that had any problems the vet couldn't fix. 5 weeks was too young to be from her dog family.

Thank you all for your help. I think it's funny - I was so desperate I turned to hornfans. I just wish I would have checked the thread an hour later. You guys may have saved her life. It's stupid I know now, but I was thinking if someone would tell me to take her to some emergency care place, I will - that'll be a sign.

8. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

Gadfly, I'm really sorry to hear that. At this point, this best thing you can do is take this as one of lifes lessons and then "turn the page" Don't beat yourself up over something that can't be reversed.

Take care

9. I agree. You cared and you cared enough to post here in the open. You were distracted and could not come back to read. It would likely not been enough at her age though. Some life just does not make it. A harsh reality.

You did what you could. A buddy of mine had to put his 15 y.o. cat to sleep yesterday. It had been diabetic for the last five years or so. He gave up so much for that cat too.

10. Gadfly

Gadfly 250+ Posts

It's funny that complete strangers can make you feel better. It's even odd that you care enough to tell me exactly what I need to hear. Thanks you guys. This board is a great outlet for many things. Thanks.