Is Slingbox Still The Standard (windows pc)

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by WooHorn, Jun 25, 2010.

1. WooHorn

WooHorn 250+ Posts

Is Slingbox still the standard for watching your DTV DVR on a Windows laptop while traveling / what is your setup?

Anyone heard of new models due soon?

2. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

I have been using it for over one year and it is almost flawless. It buffers nicely and the picture is pretty good. Definitely worth it!

3. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

My sister lives on the East Coast and due to budget constraints, is doing without cable or tv. She misses a couple of shows and this thread gave me an idea. She could use a Slingbox off of my cable here in Austin, right? After the initial purchase of the box there is nothing to pay for?

I would pay my cable bill like I normally do and she would get to save money that way. She also has a tv she could link her laptop to (has all the connection jacks and inputs). I think I am excited for her.

4. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

l00p, the only problem with that is that if you put the slingbox on a tv/cable box you use regularly you could find yourself fighting over the channel. I have my slingbox hooked up on the gameroom tv that is mostly used for PS2 and Wii.

BTW, the iphone app for slingbox has come along way since the original windows mobile app.

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Is this true with the HD version out now? It says that it avoids the conflicts of people watching "at home". Is this a line they put out or is this maybe new and you have not used it? That would not be the end of the world as I could easily hook up another tv and box in another room.

6. hollisdude

hollisdude 500+ Posts

I've had a Slingbox for about 4 years or so on cable. The cable runs to a splitter with one line to the TV and the other line to the Slingbox. This allows the Slingbox to show one channel and the TV to show another, so theres no conflict. Have not heard about the HD version - but I wouldn't use it since this configuration works perfect.

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

hollis, just fyi, here is the HD version. I think it is new.
    The Link

8. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

9. WooHorn

WooHorn 250+ Posts

I am actually interested in how to get a set up like L00p mentioned, but I don't get how Slingbox actually works.

If DTV with Whole-Home, could I set up a digital tuner (no DVR) with a Slingbox and be able to control its channels and view recorded material remotely?

10. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

With Elgato's eyeTV HD and eyeTV 3 software you can stream live HD video from your cable or satellite box to your iPhone or iPad.

11. ToxicShock

ToxicShock 100+ Posts

I've been using the slingbox for about 4 years now. It's great. Use it at work when I have to work weekends to watch sports. Watch it on my phone quite a bit as well. Cant stress enough that you pay a single start up cost of getting the box. As long as you pay your cable bill and internet bill, shouldn't cost anything else (the software for mobile windows costs like $30).

Roger, you said that slingbox for iphone has come a long way. Last I checked, you could only use it with wi-fi and NOT 3G service. Is that still the case? That is the only thing that has prevented me from getting an iphone.

12. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

Elgato's solution works with the iPhone and iPad over 3G and wifi.

13. hollisdude

hollisdude 500+ Posts

Keep in mind that my Slingbox was one of the originals. To reiterate, I have a splitter that sends one cable to the Slingbox and the other to my TV in the office. I don't use a DVR box on this particular TV. The Slingbox has an ethernet connection that runs to my router. That's how you access it from the internet.

The Slingbox is actually a TV tuner itself. I can watch my TV in my office on one channel and one of my kids can access the Slingbox and watch any channel they want without interrupting me since the Slngbox is a separate tuner. The TV quality (non-HD) is fine and the stream is as good as your broadband connection. I might add that the TV can be turned off and the Slngbox (as a tuner with it's own cable) still works.

Mine has worked that way forever. Since I don't have a DVR in this scenario, I yield to those that have. But I would imagine there is a solution for TIVO or Uverse boxes available.

14. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

15. Reddle

Reddle < 25 Posts

16. ToxicShock

ToxicShock 100+ Posts

I'm currently an ATT customer. My understanding is that the caps on data apply to new customers only. Is that correct? If I renew my contract and get an iphone, am I going to be subject to the new data caps?

17. Reddle

Reddle < 25 Posts

That's right. You're safe; you get to keep your unlimited data plan. If you want the option to tether however, then you would need to switch to the new capped plans.

18. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

It's only a matter of time before all the carriers cap their data plans. It's just that the iPhone is so popular and usable that AT&T has had to make the first move. Apparently, AT&T supports more data traffic than all other carriers combined.

19. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

I use orb.com to connect to my cable via my iphone... you can also do it on your PC... and it's free... plus you can get files, pics, videos and more...