Is the GOP becoming the 'Mobile Home Party?'

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Summerof79, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

I was looking at some statistics from the US census based on 2007 figures the GOP seems to be most dominant in the states with the highest percentage of mobile home ownership.

South Carolina
    New Mexico
    Mississippi
    West Virginia
    Wyoming
    North Carolina
    Louisiana
    Arkansas
    KEntucky
    Montana
    Arizona
    Tennessee
    Florida
    Georgia

Anyhow just sort of interesting to see how many of the solid GOP states are also the states with the largest amount of mobile homes as residences. The Link I don't doubt that the GOP states may alos be leaders in some other areas of dubious distinction but didn't have time to dig through the data. here is a link to a lot of demographic data- http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/rankings.html

The GOP may also be the party of highest percentages living below poverty level and highest infant mortality rates, if my quick glace was any indication.

Anyhow found it interesting

2. Nuclear Bear

Nuclear Bear 1,000+ Posts

The republicans that scream about poor democrats stealing their hard earned tax money never like to hear that most of the wealthiest and most educated parts of this country voted overwhelmingly for Barack Obama during the 2008 election

If you look at the table that shows the 10 richest counties in the United States I think 8 of them voted for Obama...and most by wide margins.

If you look at southern states such as Florida, North Carolina and Virginia the most affluent regions/counties in those states are where Obama racked most of his biggest margins.

The Northern Virgnia Suburbs around DC is what provided Obama is win in Virgnia.

Palm Beach County and Broward County are the two richest counties in Florida and Obama received nearly 70% of the vote in both counties.

3. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

Regardless if its fact or opinion, the Republicans have done a great job in winning over lower and middle class America with the message that lower taxes for the rich will bring them higher paying or more jobs.

4. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

summer.....the smug arrogance you're demonstrating by starting this thread is, well, illuminating.

5. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

That list is obviously wrong. Where is Oklahoma?!

6. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

7. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

8. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

I heard somewhere that the Democratic Party is the party of choice for the effete, cuckolded white male. Perhaps some just don't want to be damned to the same fate. [​IMG]

Worthless OP, in other words.

Some see government as an impediment to upward mobility. Some see government as a vehicle for upward mobility.

Whether you live in a mobile home, mommy's basement, or a mansion probably doesn't doom you to one outlook or another.

And as an aside, I would rather live in a mobile home in Alabama than a Chicago housing project. There are hardships with both, but one is essentially a prison.

9. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

10. crizistre

crizistre 500+ Posts

I read somewhere that Kool Aid sales last fall were proportionally higher in districts that voted more for Obama as compared to districts that were in McCain's favor.

Kool Aid sales have apparently dropped since the election, due mainly to a vast increase in 'ill' feelings that seem to be linked to the Kool Aid. The biggest complaints seems to be a demand for refunds and 'consumption regret.'

:)

11. TahoeHorn

TahoeHorn 1,000+ Posts

Is bait most effective when it's pitched at the eighth grade level, the high school level, the college level or higher? What level is this bait?

If bait is pitched too low it generally draws a roll eye response and a concern from serious posters with being associated with it. If it's pitched too high the response requires a little thought and gut level whacks aren't as easy. Respondents like to feel they swatted a fat one down the middle. Normally h4l is fairly clever about getting the right level. This one seems a little low to me.

12. Nuclear Bear

13. fratboy_legend

fratboy_legend 500+ Posts

14. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

15. groverat

groverat 2,500+ Posts

Wait wait wait... becoming?

The GOP has been the trailer park party for decades.

16. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

Perhaps it would have been better to focus on infant mortality rates, uninsured children, or least amount per capita spent in public education?

Do you think I could find a statistical correlation between any of these and so called Red States? Do not demographics of states that the GOP has dominated have any bearing on the composition of the party.

I will agree that the sales job that tax cuts for millionaires being the best cure for the white working class has been a strong selling message. I think that the embrace of folks like Jo the Plumber and Sarah Palin tend to reflect this "mobile home conversion" of the GOP.

The GOP used to be a fiscally conservative party that wanted lower taxes and to some degree less spending. Which at a state level translates to business recruitment slush funds on the one hand and persons living below poverty and without insurance on the other as part of the package.

I understand about not wanting to be so obviously statistically correlated to the GOP State stronghold being the states with the overall largest concentration of mobile homes per citizen. Perhaps it really is all just a coincidence. But when you see the excitement for a ditz like Sarah Palin as the next great hope to lead America, you can see the mobile home correlation in the crowds, IMHO.

17. 77horn

77horn 500+ Posts

In reply to:

18. Nuclear Bear

19. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

nope. San Diego is a red county too.
    It's the place that has brought notable ******** like "Duke" Cunningham.

20. jmrob93

jmrob93 Guest

I'm not sure how to read this--I always knew the socially elite had a propensity to be liberal as well as urbanites--- to say non north east, non urban dominated states are Republican-- well that make sense. I'm not sure what the news here is. The Republican party is largely a single issue party-- if one of the following issues pertains, you are highly likely to be republican-- religion, gun issue, small business, corporate business, abortion or small government. Just because one of these issues makes you a Republican doesn't mean there there is a contradiction--ie mobile home and big business-- this just means you have chosen between the lesser of two evils. Many democrats are one issue people-- gay marriage, anti gun rights, pro abortion or social change--I get it---no big news

21. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

Correlation is not causation, Summer79.

22. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

23. TahoeHorn

TahoeHorn 1,000+ Posts

24. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

25. TahoeHorn

TahoeHorn 1,000+ Posts

RV,

Each month I attend at least two Republican meetings. One has about 50 people and the other about 225. I sense that there is not unanimity on cultural issues, but there is on national security and a desire for lower taxes and smaller government. If I try to recruit new Republicans I'll use national security. Alabama is filled with people who hold their nose and vote Dem. Natiuonal security is their biggest complaint about Dems. (Among the people who hold their nose and vote GOP the biggest complaint is overzealousness on social stuff.)

Your sarcasm about national security shows a lack of awareness about how important this is to many who vote GOP, particularly those who aren't reliably GOP.

26. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think summer's trying to take the Hornfans lead for number of most utterly useless partisan posts on the board.

Hey how's that economics degree coming? You never did own up to that one.

27. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

Hey, at least he didn't mention all Repubs as "social conservatives" and lacking in knowledge of "macroeconomics". [​IMG]

28. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

Can someone with a little more experience (read: age) explain to me why the Republicans think they own the National Security tag? Is it just because they are fare more likely to spend an absurd amount of money on it and put our troops in harm's way? How is that a better (or even good) approach? What has Republican "National Security" done for us that Democrat non-"National Security" would not have done? or how have Democrats weakened us in "National Security"?

When someone says they are for "National Security", I don't really even know what that means other than "don't spend less on the military, and in fact, spend a lot more".

29. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

30. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts