Is this Why Texas Had a play called ...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by ShAArk92, Jan 6, 2019.

1. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

2. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

3. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

disappointed if it's true.

but it seems that's becoming acceptable as you've so adeptly alluded.

... and the swirl gets tighter.

4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Disappointing if what's true?
    The foul language used?
    The concept that they are backing their coach against a internet trolling ***-hat?
    I found nothing in that article that freaked me out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

yes ... and that it was public domain. It was unnecessary at best.

Trying to be "cute" in defense of their coach? How about ignore it unless directly queried ... then simply say they support their coach. Seems like that was the response on the Kyler Murray deal? And that was the right call.

Which is why I'm not sure this is as SBNation is saying.

Freaked out? c'mon.

If we can't acknowledge that some things are worthy of criticism, then we're not any better than the aggy ... and I know that's not true because there's plenty of criticism of players performance ... and even behavior. This is allegedly one of 'em.

6. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

It was on Sam's wristband.
    Not for public consumption.
    A sharp eye caught it when his band was left open.
    A non-issue.
    Nothing to see here.
    Move along.

7. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

evidently not ... you just saw the alleged undoctored photo.

when leaving the locker room ... it's public domain. if this is true, might as well have had a sideline banner of it.

I wonder if Dad would have been proud? Anyhow.

Even if this isn't true, the response has already validated ... the swirl is getting tighter.

8. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

Why is that, do you think?

9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

And yes, Sam handled the Murray situation very diplomatically in public.
    What do you think they were saying about it in the locker room? (not for public consumption)

10. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

You want my honest understanding ... or just a curt response?

and just to clarify ... "what's becoming acceptable" is the language we're accepting in public. (I know, not West Mall) ... but we just had a freshman Representative use equally foul language at a rally.

tighter swirl as we try feverishly to defend it.

11. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

IDK ... and that's the point. represent The University.

If this photo series is true, The University has been disrespected.

So ... still no offerings as to validate/refute the linked story. Just discussion on whether ShAArk92 is valid. Royer.

12. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Really?
    You compare a small font on a wristband that is meant to be private with a sideline banner?
    C'mon man.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Did you see it or not?

Is it in the public domain or not?

We're not talkin about a "shemmel shirt" under the pads no one outside the locker room will see ...

but hey ... like I said ... attack the messenger rather than the potential message. it's much easier that way.

14. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Ok.
    It's not west mall, but we have a President that's been using similar language for the past few years and before.
    So where did it start?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

no response.

16. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yes, I saw it.
    That doesn't mean I was supposed to see it or that it was meant to be seen.
    In this digital age where photos can be blown up and cameras are on damn near every street corner it's hard to keep things to yourself.
    I don't know what the play means or what it is for.
    I have used that language on occasion.
    I'm not overly offended by it.

17. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

IDK ... apparently it depends on one's world view/voting preferences ... doesn't justify the latest example regardless ... and doesn't justify the rationalization either regardless.

I find this to be a worthwhile question. Is SBNation right in their allegation, or are they seeking to stir trouble?

18. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

This team had limited off field issues this year which were disciplined harsher than needed (suspensions for being late to practice.) in their final game, they were under dogs to one of the elite SEC teams. They came out and punched them in the face and demonstrated Texas Fight. Who cares if they use foul language for internal, private plays? Good grief American culture has turned silly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

OK ... thanks ... quick pickle on my part. My apologies for the previous.

I appreciate you're not "overly offended" but is it properly representing?

You've got to be aware of what's available and represent appropriately. Yeah, the digitial age has made that easier ... I think 1990 CAnon SLR could have done the same thing, though ... with print in the newspaper/magazine.

I still don't know if this is true or not.

20. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

American Culture has failed to discern ... and defends what was formerly indefensible.

There was no need for this ... if true. And it now reflects poorly because now everyone can see it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

SBnation is looking for clicks.
    The whole article is pure conjecture.
    There are any number of things I could come up with that those words are directed at.

• Like Like x 1
  22. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

It's true that those words are on the wristband.
    For what reason only Sam, team and coaches know.

23. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

it's that the words may really be there which is problematic.

Good point on the click bait ... but it was thrown into my face and I thought I'd solicit help from HornFans on the validity of the photo.

Didn't occur to me, we'd defend vulgarity as proper representation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Again, I don't see this as something representing the University.
    If Sam runs out of the tunnel wearing a cap with this on it, ok, bad decision.
    And yes, they could have used better language on the play. If it's even a play.
    But it wasn't meant for public consumption.
    That's why there's a cover on the wristband.
    Just not a big deal to me.

25. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I agree with @ShAArk92. Here is the test for me: What would the reaction on this board be had it been an ou, a&m, et al, player who did this? Probably not as accepting. Double standard at play here IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Don’t like the language, don’t like it when other people use it, particularly people I like or ‘should’ respect, and I try not to ever use it myself. But that’s just me.

• Like Like x 2
  27. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

... and ...

If this is part of "poking the bear" at Zach Smith ... that legitimizes the vulgarity filled rant with allegation against Herman. It doesn't reject 'em.

nevermind the fact we're gonna accept players' use of this language. It's not church choir and I get that, but ... code of conduct.

this doesn't reconcile with that.

28. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I really don't think it would bother me regardless.
    And if you are going to place blame, who names these plays and prints out the sheet in that wristband?
    Sam?

• Like Like x 2
  29. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

good question, but I can't believe it goes without the authorization of the coaching staff, Herman in particular.

Perhaps my middle age'd eyes are getting sensitive to the fine print ... but that seems to be too fine, esp for a time-critical situation. Learn the signal from the sideline since it seems we no longer have players running-in the called play anymore. LOL

30. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I didn't place any blame.