Is this Why Texas Had a play called ...

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by ShAArk92, Jan 6, 2019.

1. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Was speaking to posters in general on this thread in that instance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

... and I'm not seeking to BLAME.

referring to the OP ... I'm seeking to understand if this is true.

@moondog_LFZ , you stated earlier the photos are real ... and I appreciate your answering the question, but if you have substantiation, I'd appreciate it.

If they are real ... they don't reflect well on our squad. period.

3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

This sort of thread seems to me to be the type that someone may just say something along the lines of, "Well this doesn't really bother me, but I can see your point." I wonder why we can't have that kind of civility. On the flip side, I don't agree with those saying that this is okay, but I'm not trying to change any opinions on that. That is something well ingrained, I think.

4. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

We are firmly entrenched in the much dreaded "off season." GRRRR!:brickwall:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Aye .. or well-rationalized.

Most of us were raised better than to accept this as proper behavior of representatives, in particular ... if indeed it's accurate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

This is a tough one. My initial reaction was the same as ShAArk92’s, but Moon makes some good points.

I do not think that this is a good reflection on the team or the university and I also tend to agree with the public domain argument. We all watch football games and we — and the coaches — certainly know that laminated cards/wristbands have been exposed on broadcasts for years.

In my judgment the team should have anticipated that the card would be exposed and anticipated the reaction. Now, having said that, I have no problem with the motivational intent. None. But instead of printing “Go F*** Yourself B****, perhaps someone should have substituted “GFYB!” or something similar. It would have served the same purpose, and the buzz would have been more positive.

Sports Journalist: Tom, what does GFYB mean?

TH: What are you talking about?

SJ: On Sam’s wristband?

TH: (Snickering.) Oh, that’s just a motivational thing the players came up with.

SJ: What does it mean?

TH: Oh heck, you’ll have to ask Sam.

End of story.

It was be wise for someone like TH, via Twitter or through another means, to acknowledge that perhaps they should have been more discreet.

• Like Like x 3
  7. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I'll be dipped ... See IDE ... limited ability in BBS ops.

AGAIN ... IF TRUE ... this is really the problem. Legitimizing the allegations against Herman.

Just IGNORE the nutball (understanding Herman is innocent of all those flagrant charges, and of course I hope/expect he is)

8. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

If people get that upset on what is printed on a wrist band, they would get the vapors if they heard what the players say on the field.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I think the point is we all know things that go on behind closed doors is one thing. This was out there to be captured in photos, which it was. I, for one, am not naive enough to think athletes and coaches are choir boys.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

presuming the inability to discern between a pre-meditated vulgarity filled message which is public domain ... and the heat of the moment result of a spectacular play.

yeah, you're right.

I'm not that. IDK about you.

11. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

The article is click bait conspiracy theory not worthy of repeating. IMO
    As horninchicago said, I understand your problem with the language.
    However, it really doesn't bother me.

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

I'm good with my university's football program being led by badass ************* like Sam who are playing a violent and aggressive game for our enjoyment and don't care if some fans go all snowflake over a wrist band

I trust we are still free to express ourselves thusly on HF

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

fortunate for you to dismiss it ...

I have higher expectations for my University and its representatives.

14. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

I'm an OG on this board, so let me say this about that.

Worked on construction sites many years, heard it all. Completely acceptable in settings like that (and athletics, on the field, one on one, IMHO, not for broadcast to the fans).

If this wristband is legit, and as long as SE didn't overtly show it to a sideline TV geek for public display I see no wrong with it. If some sideline TV geek or someone else with a cellie camera snapped it and then let it loose on the interwebs, IMHO that's on THEM, not on SE or TH.

Regarding the culture in general, I've been much more concerned with, in the past at least, 50,000+ Longhorn fans chanting as a bastardization of Texas Fight to debase "Hail, hail, the gang's all here..." into "Give 'em Hell, Give 'em Hell, make 'em eat **** [mostly the last part]" or even "Give 'em Hell, Give 'em Hell, OU sucks! [again, the last part]."

The phrase we've ALL grown accustomed to is something like...."well, THAT sucks..." We've forgotten that it refers to performing oral sex on a male. Try responding to a 5-year old kid who asks when hearing it and says: "What does OU sucks mean?" Or "what does, well that sucks mean?"

We can do little about society's slippages as a whole, only what we can decide to do ourselves.

But we CAN effect what our institutions (in this case our university) accept or not accept. The wristband? Macht nichts. 50,000 supposed mature adults yelling "make 'em eat ****" or maybe even "OU sucks", well that's something else.

My $0.02.

Hook 'em

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

then you completely miss the point, too, Driver.

If you had half a clue about this poster, you'd realize how far off base you are. I'm being gracious in light of your lacking knowledge.

endorsing the use of that language as representative is a foul. Period.

Moondog is the only one to suggest the photos are real ... like most of these ventures into proper behavior ... we seek to distract/rationalize so we don't have to address the real issue.

Poor representation ... and ... since Moodog has validated the accuracy of the photos ... the only reasonable conclusion is the theory about response to Smith ...

legitimizes the drunken tweet allegations full of vularity themselves.

pitiful.

16. dagger

dagger < 25 Posts

Personally I think its funny and I don't care.

The "plays" are fake. The real plays are in the inside...you flip it up.

Its to prevent someone doing what was done, take a pic of the wrist band for "intel" reasons and possible know the play calls.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  17. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

OK ... that's fair and reasonable. The whole "opsec/comsec" ... got it. I live it now and was engrossed in it during a previous life, cause my life depends upon it ... and so does the lives of at least a few hundred others.

But the phrase, then, is supposed to be "detected."

That doesn't excuse it.

18. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think it's more about the "meme-ification" of something that people see and then turn into "a thing." I don't think it legitimizes anything about the Smith situation. It takes the quote and turns it into something else. That's it.

19. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Sam has had plenty of critics concerning his play. (Me being one of them)
    This could be directed at them.
    Again, I can come up with any number of things the words are directed at.
    You are the one legitimizing the articles conspiracy theory.
    We have no idea what was in whomevers mind that came up with that play.

20. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

by legitimizing the use of profanity?

Into what else does this become?

This isn't quite the "reverse the meaning of 'Horns-Down'" by the defense after a great play.

21. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I've not dismissed the "consipiracy theory" as you call it ... but my concern is the language itself.

Horns11 uses "distraction" from 'real plays' I buy that ... but the phrase doesn't contribute to that goal.

22. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I think I know who the words are directed at.
    Anybody blowing up a photo of the wristband in an attempt to steal our plays. :)
    Case closed. ;)
    :hookem::bevo:

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

great!

Horns11 uses "distraction" from 'real plays' I buy that ... but the phrase doesn't contribute to that goal.

24. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

That's about the silliest thing I have ever heard.

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

But it does recommend that instead of stealing our plays those ******* should go f**k themselves

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ivan,

I'm not going to chime in on the wrist band, but I was there, and Georgia was the mouthy-est team we've played in the last several years including OU. They also took more cheap shots than any three or four teams we've played combined. With that in mind, I can only imagine some of the team functions attended by both teams.

I should add, that I encountered many UGa players on Canal Street, and they were all very polite, and would freely engage me in conversation.

Again, not defending the content, but what I do know is that Sam played his best game since leaving Southwest Travis County, and he was hearing a lot worse down on the turf.

I'm not sure which was more surprising - our smashmouth game and great defense, or Georgia's disappointing display of classlessness.

• Winner Winner x 2
  27. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Granted, Alabama eventually stopped playing the song, but still. The tradition went on for a while.

It's not like this is the first time any college football fan has heard the F-word. And it wasn't intended for the public in the first place.

28. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Actually, if it's true they were trolling UGA Intel gatherers that makes it funny as ****.

29. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I would not have had the slightest problem with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Horn hubby

Horn hubby 500+ Posts

I think it is more of a way to lighten the mood and energize the players more than anything. I do wish we could find a classier way to do it though.

• Like Like x 2