isnt it ironic?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by rememberthealamo, Dec 30, 2008.

1. rememberthealamo

rememberthealamo 250+ Posts

this years team is the first since 2000 that wasnt expected to go to a bcs bowl....yet they did and most others didnt...and now because of ...I am not even going there....we as a fan base are so blase of playing ohio st in the fiesta bowl....tickets are going for half price...and now this board is being riddled with recruiting news....this team deserves much more from its fan base ...

2. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

It's like rain on your wedding day.

3. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange 100+ Posts

I don't know if you have noticed, but the economy is not doing so well right now. I'm guessing a large reason for the ticket demand being down is that people are being cautious about spending money with all the economic uncertainty. Once you factor in airfare, lodging, and travel expenditures....its a decent chunk of change.

4. PipFunatUT

PipFunatUT 500+ Posts

agreed. i dont feel like spending the money or airlines... and it isnt like this is the Sugar bowl where i could easily drive to see.
    The bowls should of thought of this if they wanted to fill the seats.

5. AnotherUTFan

AnotherUTFan 25+ Posts

Not to mention that the game is on a Monday night. I would've made the drive or flew in from San Diego if the game was on Thurs, Fri, Sat, or Sun.

6. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

A death row pardon...two minutes too late.

7. drborange

drborange 500+ Posts

Monday pm game time is ok for tv and locals, but not for putting butts in the seats.

Then you need Tuesday, at least, to get home. Not many people have the $ or are able to take off those days, esp. right after Christmas and New Years days off. [​IMG]

8. rememberthealamo

....sooo we are pumped ....

9. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

10. rememberthealamo

tom terrific ...I think fans could handle a plus 1 easily....

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

like free advice but you've already paid?

Yeah, I really do think.

12. bigpetehookem

bigpetehookem 25+ Posts

Actually, no. It's not ironic.

13. misirlou

misirlou 250+ Posts

TomTerrific,

A playoff works just fine in Div 1-AA (currently a 16 team playoff, moving to 20).

Travel is not an issue for fans of the home team because all but the championship game is played at the stadium of the higher ranked team. If you are the #8 seeded team, then you need to worry about hosting only one game. If you are the #4 team, then you have two assuming you win your first. If you are the #1 or #2 team, then you have up to 3 games. The championship game is always played at Tenn-Chattanooga.

This format would be unlikely to be accepted within the Div 1-A because it kills all the existing major bowls except for maybe one (Rose Bowl?) that gets selected for the national championship game. The smaller bowls like the Independence Bowl could live on I suppose.

One interesting issue is whether going with such a format would push teams to go with FieldTurf over grass. Assuming that the CCG were abolished, then you could conceivable have 4 games in 4 weeks at one stadium.

One question I have about Div 1-AA playoffs is who pays for the team to travel? Does the home team have to pony up extra money/ tickets to help the away team pay for travel? For someone like Texas and the money we make from home games, this seems like a reasonable thing to pay for. However, in Div 1-AA, the crowds and ticket prices are much smaller.

14. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

Y'all can stay at home and suck your thumbs. I'm going to the game.

15. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

exactly

Division 1aa or Divsion 2 or whatever does not have to

1. keep a bowl system in place
    2. move 50k + people from venue to venue as they advance....they are probably dealing with more like 2k people, which would still be a pain in the ***, but, not the logistical nightmare that a d1 playoff within the bowl game structure would require.

16. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

I have only been to three BCS games where tickets were more than face value on the secondary market. All there were National Championship games (UT-USC, FLA-OSU, OU-LSU). I have seen Aub-VaTech, OSU-ND, IU-Tenn, Texas-Mich, Texas-Penn State , Texas - VaTech (last two were Bowl Coalition, but basically same thing). At each of those other games you could have purchased tickets at 50% off or more walking into the stadium a half-hour before kickoff.

Point is, it is not surprising that tickets are less than face value particularily with the current state of the economy.

17. JBIIHorns

JBIIHorns 100+ Posts

Fiesta Bowl tickets aren't even going for face value?

wow. nice system. If this were semifinal game, it'd probably be double face.

18. Bevo's Buddy

Bevo's Buddy 500+ Posts

It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife.

19. 13evO

13evO 500+ Posts

20. LightTheTower

LightTheTower 100+ Posts

21. GabeRocksSocks

GabeRocksSocks 1,000+ Posts

Like a traffic jam when you're already late.

22. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

Doesn't matter what you have "watched"

And I am no BCS "honk"

You can not logistically keep a bowl system in place and have a workable D1 football play off.

Period.

Even if you got everyone charted aircraft...there is just not enough notice to relocate that many people and resources.

These "first round games" would be just as empty because everyone would be waiting to go to one of the "real games" because very few could go to all of them.

Do you spend you money and time away from work on Texas v Rutgers, or do you hope Texas advances and you go to the next round game.

What if we win that?

What if you bought your tickets and booked your rooms and we lost an early round game?

If TV ratings is all you are after....fine.

But the bowl system, in its current state, could never be maintained to support a play off system.

23. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I knew a woman that met the man of her dreams, and then his BEAUTIFUL wife.

24. mackfan1

mackfan1 1,000+ Posts

25. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

Have you heard about the man who turned ninety eight, won the lottery, then died the next day?

26. TomTerrific

TomTerrific 500+ Posts

I am not against a playoff

I am just telling you that the two entities (the current bowl set up and a play off) can not co-exist.

27. mackfan1

mackfan1 1,000+ Posts

28. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

No but there was a seal that got bad effects from the Exxon Valdez accident. Thousands of dollars were spent on the rehab and health of this seal to help it survive. Finally the day arrived to set it free back to its habitat. A ceremony and celebration took place and the seal was set free. It was eaten just off shore by a waiting Killer Whale.

29. The Gnome Man

The Gnome Man 250+ Posts

I'm going to the game, am going to paly a bunch of golf, and am very excited, but I would be even more excitedf if this were a semi-final game.

30. swc.lives.on

swc.lives.on 500+ Posts