Israel stages biggest-ever war drill

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Rip76, May 31, 2009.

1. Rip76

Rip76 1,000+ Posts

The Link

"JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Israel started its biggest emergency drill in the nation's history Sunday to prepare civilians, soldiers and rescue crews for the possibility of war, the defense force said in a statement.

Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak has expressed skepticism that Iran can be persuaded to abandon its nuclear ambitions.

The five-day drill, nicknamed Turning Point 3, comes amid the nation's rising tensions with Iran.

It will be conducted in public facilities, including schools, military bases and government offices. Students, soldiers and other civilians will practice how to gather at protected places during an emergency.

Officials said the drill will include simulated rockets, air raids and other attacks on infrastructure and essential facilities, and use of weapons on civilians.

Everyone is expected to go to a protected place at the sound of sirens, the defense force said, adding that more instructions will be broadcast on a public channel."

Posturing, or the real deal?

2. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

They better have good intelligence or it could lead to the loss of Israel and Iran as well as a worldwide depression due to a surge in energy prices.

3. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

I think that is what they do when they feel like America no longer has their back.

4. NightFlyer

NightFlyer 250+ Posts

Israel doesn't posture.

5. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

unfortunately, it appears as if Israel and Iran are heading more and more swiftly down a path leading to major war.

6. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Headed to war? Based on what?

Ive always found it ironic that Christians believe that people who dont believe in Jesus as their personal lord and savior are the chosen people and must be protected. Makes no sense at all.

There is still no proof of any weapons development in Iran. In case people have forgotten, Iran did sign the NPT, which garantees their right to develop nuclear energy.

Yes, they are guaranteed the right to develop nuclear energy per the treaty. The US and Israel saying otherwise a million times doesnt reverse that fact. And for the record, Israel refuses to sign the treaty.

We talk about International laws and how countries need to abide by them, but when you boil it down, thats not what we really want, is it?

7. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

TexasGrad,
    notice my post started 'unfortunately.' I wish that ALL war could be avoided, and I pray for ALL war to end.

Secondly, 'based on what?' Seriously?! Do you watch what has been going on? Iran stated that Israel should be wiped from the face of the earth? Denying the Shoah? Developing Nuclear technology? Now, have no doubts Mossad has much more intel than either of us on just what Iran has or hasn't developed. If Israel were to strike, it would be with cause. I hope that they do NOT strike. I also hope Iran doesn't strike nor developes nuclear weapons. I hope and pray that, but to paraphrase the late Burgess Meredith, "I can hope in one hand and crap in the other and see which one gets filled first."

8. 2003TexasGrad

Actually yes, I do watch what has been going on, and unlike most people here, I have quite a bit of family who live in Iran, and they get CNN and Fox News and all kinds of other news channels that we get here. They also have the internet too.

The statement of being "wiped of the map" is not what Ahmedinejad said. For the record, I dont care for him, but hes a politician, and I dont care for any of them, American or Iranian or otherwise. But that is beside the point. He said that the zionist entity needed to be removed from control, not that Israel the country needed to be bombed or physically destroyed. Its all in the translation. Its easy to anglocize everything and misinterpret what anyone says. Theres a big difference between being against a regime and wanting to see it changed, and completey anihilating a country.

Secondly, you must have missed it: Iran is completely, legally allowed to develop nuclear technology. What dont people understand about this? The law doesnt say they must get it prepackaged from the US or France or any other country. They can do it themselves. If Israel or any other country bombs Iran, that is an act of agression, war, and is completely unjustified and wrong.

Israel can conduct all the mock war games they want. So can North Korea and the US and Germany and every other country. This is sensationalism at its best. Congrats, Israel is conducting war games.

9. groverat

groverat 2,500+ Posts

10. 2003TexasGrad

I think Hermann Goering said something to that effect.

Im not sure what side you promote, but for me, if you tell the American public something enough times, they eventually believe it, and if you tell them that they are in danger, they will support just about anything.

History suggests that we never learn from our past mistakes, so Im not optimistic. Then again, the US and USSR didnt blow eachother up, so theres some room for optimism. Im keeping my fingers crossed.

11. groverat

groverat 2,500+ Posts

I think the notion of that one must "promote" one side over the other (or that there are even two distinct sides) is a huge part of the problem. I think everyday Israelis and everyday Palestinians see far more eye-to-eye than their respective leadership.

I abhor Israeli's aggressive war machine, its mass-murders, and its expansionism.
    I abhor the suicide bombings/rocket attacks done by and in favor of Palestinians.

Both sets of violence need to stop without precondition.

12. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

13. WTFHORNFAN

WTFHORNFAN 100+ Posts

14. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Of course there are many sides to this. I agree with you groverat that no one is faultless or blameless in this.
    You do have Israel on one 'side', Iran on one 'side', and the Arabs a bit caught between. My father in law, who is Arab and lives in the UAE was talking with me about this situation a bit the other day. He was talking about how most Arabs see the Palestinians as essentially disposable, and that they are used as pawns against Israel. That is very sad. He also mentioned how much good Israel and Israeli technology had benefited Arab countries.
    Also interestingly enough, when talking about why Egypt didn't allow more supplies (even humanitarian supplies) to enter Gaza through it's border, he answered by saying that Egypt was more closely allied with Israel than with the Gaza Palestinians.
    These are all complex matters, and like most on here, I pray for a peaceful resolution.

15. bronco

bronco Guest

16. 2003TexasGrad

Iran has been inspected many times, recently as well, and the IAEA has never found any evidence of nuclear weapons development, in spite of Irans sometimes stubborn attitude, which I am not a fan of by the way.

Some will argue that it doesnt mean they arent developing them. Its entirely possible. However, recent history confirms that our intelligence is faulty and often misinformed, and it has resulted in military campaigns that were baseless and without merit.

Concerning the original post and the resultant posts of doom and gloom, I think that such thinking is very premature and I give credit to the media and our government officials for continuing to proliferate the fear mongering that has been going on for the last several years on the matter, again deviod of any proof mind you.

We have been down this road before. The reference to Hermann Goering is a prime example of government fear mongering that we know is all too capable of turning the masses toward a certain viewpoint because, well, if you say it enough times, people believe it.

There is no love lost between Iran and Israel, and it is a very deep and complex issue, as mentioned above. There are corrupt sick people on all fronts. Make no mistake about it.

That said, there is also a high degree of hypocracy coming from western countries. Not only has Israel refused to sign the NPT, but they also refuse to allow nuclear inspectors into their country as well. The message that is clear around the world is this: If you have nukes, you have power.

To the current topic, instead of the constant inuendo and suspicion, let inspectors continue doing their job, as long as it complies with the NPT, and follow from there.

People freaking out about Israeli military drills and some "impending" war is just completely far fetched, and very Goeringesque.