It is official - Mangino Out

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Texex81, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Texex81

Texex81 500+ Posts

2. 71grad

71grad 1,000+ Posts

It's finally safe to open that all-you-can-eat buffet in Lawrence.

3. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

4. schnarkle

schnarkle 500+ Posts

Kansas will probably regret this move next year.

5. SWHorn

SWHorn 500+ Posts

6. jcz

jcz 100+ Posts

Interesting that he "resigned", given the contract clause about firing him with/without cause.

Must have come to a quick agreement.

7. ReaganHorn

ReaganHorn 250+ Posts

Mangino was the best thing to happen to KU football since, well, since sometime before I was born (1965). He was Bob Knight-ed, so to speak. KU football will now be like IU basketball.

Please don't think I'm comparing Mangino's accomplishments to Knight's; I'm strictly talking about being demanding, at the dinner table or elsewhere.

8. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

Well.............I'll bet he is set for life. You cannot unjustly destroy someone's life and RUN away unscathed. It makes me sick to my stomach that prejudice against obese people makes this okay.

I hope the AD gets his balls handed to him in a plastic sack. He built this, he invented it, he is the problem, not the answer.

KU cheats at basketball. They had success in football in a fair way with marginal players who were coached to success.

It will be nice to see them back where they belong...............the conference *****.

Begging Baylor for mercy.

9. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

too bad--he was definitely great for KU--all right, who can name the previous coach??
    all right, Glenn Mason, who I was also impressed with at the time (went to Minn before Brewster), but he has consistently taken them to a winning record--sorry to see him leave, even though he thought my 'Horns were "given" the chance to be in the BCS title game in '06--good luck with your next hire!!

10. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I hope this poor guy gets some help with his health....THAT should be priority number ONE before he finds employment elsewhere...I'm guessing he's talented and smart and a good coach. Just like everyone else in the world...not perfect.

I say a prayer for this guy finding someone to help him get healthy.

11. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

12. Orange&White

Orange&White 1,000+ Posts

13. smwhorn

smwhorn Guest

I know we make fun of the guy because of his size but he really does need to try to do something about it. i can't imagine the amount of stress upon one's health/heart being a head fb coach at a major university. imagine how hard the poor guy's heart has to work. for his sake and his family's sake, i hope he does try to get some help.

14. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Maybe he and Stoops can go to ND together now.

15. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

just interested in those that make fun of people with a weight problem....why?

16. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

17. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

What f-ing success did Mangino have? One year in which his team was spanked by Missouri, was given, and I mean given, a totally undeserved spot in the Orange Bowl, where they were given the game by Va Tech interceptions.

KU has pretty much sucked the whole time Mangino was there. Any Big 12 team can get to a bowl game. Schedule 4 OOC chumps, manage just two conference wins, and you're there.

23-41 in onference in 8 years. Finished better than .500 in conference ONCE.

That's what $2.3 million a year gets you? A guy who can do all that in the weak Big 12 North.

I laugh at claims that Mangino did great things for KU.

18. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

19. FAST FRED

FAST FRED 500+ Posts

Mangino not in Kansas anymore.

Somebody tell Toto.

[​IMG]

20. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Oh, I'm not remotely defending UT" OOC schedule this year. I'm just pointing out how getting to a bowl game is easy for any Big 12 team. Getting to an Independence Bowl, Armed Forces Bowl, or the like is no measure of success. One year in 8 of being over .500 is no measure of success.

Mangino's record at KU is nothing to rave about.

21. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

I agree with your point, but no matter who they played where they ended up going was much better than where they had been...............and i resent you posting the prospective bowl list for my boys this year.................... [​IMG]

22. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

And I'm sorry if my words were overly harsh. I recognize that KU improved under Mangino, I just dispute the notion they improved very much. Certainly not to the degree to justify his salary or to the degree to believe someone else couldn't do as well there. For less. With fewer messes to cloud the program.

23. HornInCanton

HornInCanton 250+ Posts

Mangino was not discriminated against because of his weight. We make jokes about it, but what got him fired was abusing his players.

Mistreating the people whom you are supposed to be developing, insipring, and teaching is morally reprehensible. The only thing that Mangino inspired was hate and contempt.

I appreciate a tough coach. Pelini, and jesus-hating Bob Stoops both are hard on their players but manage to be hard on them without abusing them.

America is the fattest and most unhealthy nation in the world. We redefined what fat really means. Mangino is morbidly obese. So are a crapload of other Americans. Yes, they get made fun of. If you don't like it, go do something about it. PUT DOWN THE BIG MAC!

24. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

25. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

26. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

27. orangebones

orangebones 500+ Posts

Terry Allen actually filled the gap between Mason and Angina. Allen may have been the worst coach this conference has seen in te last 15 years. Yes, worse than Kevin Steele and Dave Roberts at BU. IIRC, Mason left of his own volition to go to Minnesota, after building a respectable program. Allen buried it. Angina built it back up...which partly explains the mediocre W/L.

I think it's a little panty-waisted of those players to come out after the fact, but there must have been something more to what was going on to convince that tubbagoo to accept a settlement rather than fight for his buyout...unless he already has another job lined up.

28. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Who is Kansas going to go after? If you were Strong, which program would you consider first (money being equal), Kansas or Louisville? The local Louisville news station said Strong to Louisville is close to a done deal and will be done after the SEC championship. However, the news then hedged and said Strong may wait a bit if the OU job opens up to see if he is a candidate.

29. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

saw a stat that said that mangino took them to 3 bowl wins in the 8 years he was there...which equaled their entire history before him.

lot of speculation about Nolan Cromwell, the A&M OC heading to lawrence.

30. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

Mangino will get his revenge.

[​IMG]