It’s Dan Lanning

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chinstrap, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

New coach at zero u.

• Hot Hot x 1
  2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Had to do browser search.

Was DC of GA. 35 years old.

Seems like a yawn hire for blow-u.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  3. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

I read where Lanning wasn't confirmed by sources... who knows

4. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I thought to myself, the pothead from high school, but it appears that it is a different Lanning. Dam IT!!!! The one from high school would have been so much better.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Now sounds like it's back to Venables

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  6. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Dont know how Venables will be as a head coach...but a great defensive mind combined with an -apparently- great OC in Lebby sounds like a pretty formidable tandem.
    I was pretty happy with Lanning there as it didn't move the needle much in my view.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Hope it’s Venerables. I think he may be a bust. Mike Stoops type personality, but less screaming. Not charismatic. Guess we’ll see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

OU will move Lebby up to HC in 3 years

• Like Like x 1
  9. RainH2burntO

I hope you're right, Duke. He has been a part of quite a few championships and his defenses played big roles. Seems to be effective with the players. My fear is he makes ou a defensive-minded power. Their defense these days just doesn't scare me and hasn't for some time...Uhh..since right about the time he left there...
    I was kind of liking Lanning.

10. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Interesting tidbit on Lebby, Art Briles is his father in law and he was on Baylor staff during scandal.

• Hot Hot x 3
    • WTF? WTF? x 2
  11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

OU will be known in the future as rapists who came too soon.

12. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

It's officially Venables.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  13. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I actually think it's a decent hire. He kind of has that Stoops and Mack Brown familiarity, in addition to running some great defenses. He basically got run out of Norman because OK State had arguably their best team ever that year. He's also at that age where he's not too old for the game to have passed him by, and not too young where he's a wunderkind potential failure like Manny Diaz.

If OU was staying in the XII, he's exactly the right guy at the right time because of the defensive direction the conference has taken these past two years. But we'll see for the SEC. I don't know if anyone that Oklahoma or Texas could/would hire in this instant would be able to compete with Alabama or Georgia anyhow.

14. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It is absolutely clear they don't care about anything except winning.

15. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I'm lukewarm on Lebby. I have some issues with his Baylor time. That said, I trust Joe Castiglione to do the right thing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. RainH2burntO

• Funny Funny x 2